Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VoicelessPilot

New brewer with a question

12 posts in this topic

Last week I received the bewitched amber ale kit, sanitized everything even soaking the can itself in the sanitizer. After opening the can I noticed what looked to be paper in the extract, I scooped out what I could with a sanitized spoon and added the rest to the boiling water.

My question is, is my brew shot?

It's been fermenting a week roughly at 66 to 70 degrees.

MiniYoda likes this

You'll be fine ,you used a sanitized spoon so i wouldn't worry about it.... Your not the first or gonna be the last person this happens to,,,happened to me and probably almost everyone on here..... I'd say dont stress but we all have and do,,but again in sure you'll be just fine....good luck with your brews !! 🍻 😁

4 minutes ago, VoicelessPilot said:

Thank you for easing my assimilated mind, gotta say this seems very addicting.

no problem.... And yes very addictive lol.... And once you figure out what works best for you it'll get easier and more fun and more addictive..... Just read as much as you can on the forums.... Again good luck and post a pic of your first brew!!! 😁

Stroom is right, however, I hope it was just a typo when you mentioned that you added the HME to the "boiling" water. You want to boil the water the remove from the heat ("flame-out") and then add the HME. Don't worry, you'll have beer when you're done. 

RickBeer likes this

boiling hme chases off the hop goodness mr beer put into the mix. as for paper, we've all done that too.  shoot, one guy even had a cat dip its butt in his wort and still got beer. once yeast get going, its really hard to mess a beer up with something like dropping label bits into it. if you said used toilet paper.... that would be different.

Argh!  To me, this is something that Mr. Beer could address.  That damn wrapper is a pain in the ass!  I've had the same thing happen to me -- after soaking the can in warm water to loosen up the HME, the wrapper disintegrates and pieces fall in.  It's like one of those pesky beer bottle labels that only want to half remove.  Trying to completely remove it is futile.  

6 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

I simply remove the paper wrapper before putting the can in warm water. It's only glued down on one spot. Cut it on one side and peel away. Even if you can't get all of it off, removing most of it will resolve the issue.

Or get a can opener that cuts around the outside of the lid..... that's what I use.

15 hours ago, scouterbill said:

Stroom is right, however, I hope it was just a typo when you mentioned that you added the HME to the "boiling" water. You want to boil the water the remove from the heat ("flame-out") and then add the HME. Don't worry, you'll have beer when you're done. 

Yes sorry, after the water boiled I removed it from heat and then added the extract.