Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Balr14

First Brew is finished!

16 posts in this topic

My first brew is ready for drinking. It is the American Ale. I fermented 3 weeks, cold crashed 3 days, conditioned 3 weeks and refrigerated 3 days. My results are a bit mixed. The last bottle I filled was only a partial fill and I guessed wrong about the sugar needed, it tasted kind of like cider. I had one bottle that the top didn't seal right, so it was flat. It tasted OK, so I drank it any way. I tried a third bottle. I would not normally consume 60+ ozs of beer at a time, but this was purely in the interest of science. It has a pleasant, but very light taste. I prefer something a bit more robust. It could have used a bit more carbonation. I moved my second brew to a place that is a little warmer, during fermenting and conditioning. 

 

On the whole, I don't think it was too bad for a first try. It turned out waaay better than some of my cooking disasters. I made things that would make spies give away secrets! 

Shrike, MRB Josh R, John K. and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balr14 said:

My first brew is ready for drinking. It is the American Ale. I fermented 3 weeks, cold crashed 3 days, conditioned 3 weeks and refrigerated 3 days. My results are a bit mixed. The last bottle I filled was only a partial fill and I guessed wrong about the sugar needed, it tasted kind of like cider. I had one bottle that the top didn't seal right, so it was flat. It tasted OK, so I drank it any way. I tried a third bottle. I would not normally consume 60+ ozs of beer at a time, but this was purely in the interest of science. It has a pleasant, but very light taste. I prefer something a bit more robust. It could have used a bit more carbonation. I moved my second brew to a place that is a little warmer, during fermenting and conditioning. 

 

On the whole, I don't think it was too bad for a first try. It turned out waaay better than some of my cooking disasters. I made things that would make spies give away secrets! 

 

I find the American Ale to be a bit on the light side, too.  The good thing is, though, that once you get your techniques down and are ready to start experimenting with your own brews, the American Ale is a really good base HME to use.  Add one LME to it and it becomes a darned good beer.  Then you have partial mashes and hopping that you can do.

 

Congrat's on getting your first batch under your belt!

hotrod3539 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Balr14 said:

My first brew is ready for drinking. It is the American Ale. I fermented 3 weeks, cold crashed 3 days, conditioned 3 weeks and refrigerated 3 days. My results are a bit mixed. The last bottle I filled was only a partial fill and I guessed wrong about the sugar needed, it tasted kind of like cider. I had one bottle that the top didn't seal right, so it was flat. It tasted OK, so I drank it any way. I tried a third bottle. I would not normally consume 60+ ozs of beer at a time, but this was purely in the interest of science. It has a pleasant, but very light taste. I prefer something a bit more robust. It could have used a bit more carbonation. I moved my second brew to a place that is a little warmer, during fermenting and conditioning. 

 

On the whole, I don't think it was too bad for a first try. It turned out waaay better than some of my cooking disasters. I made things that would make spies give away secrets! 

 

 

Two issues:

 

1) conditioned 3 weeks - try 4 to 6

 

2) a place that is a little warmer, during fermenting and conditioning - during fermenting it should be COOLER, not warmer.

hotrod3539 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Balr14 said:

The temperature was never more than 62 during fermenting, 64 during conditioning.   

From what i have read around here....Ales LOVE (wort temp) 65-68 during fermentation, 70-72 for carbonation (1-2 weeks) and then back to the mid 60's for conditioning......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RickBeer said:

64 degrees conditioning,  combined with 3 weeks,  is your issue.   Pull any bottles in the fridge out, go 3 more weeks at 70 or higher, then refrigerate for at least 3 days.

I had a hunch that would be a problem. Unfortunately, we don't have any place where it's 70 in our house. I will see if I can move them to my daughters house.   

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Balr14 said:

I had a hunch that would be a problem. Unfortunately, we don't have any place where it's 70 in our house. I will see if I can move them to my daughters house.   

 

It'll condition at 64, it'll just take a longer time.  

hotrod3539 and John K. like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I condition at 63 - 68 degrees all the time. I just add 50% more time to condition. The wife would kill me if I didn't keep all of my home brewing in the basement.

Shrike likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Balr14 said:

I had a hunch that would be a problem. Unfortunately, we don't have any place where it's 70 in our house. I will see if I can move them to my daughters house.   

 

HELLO BALR14!!!!!

 

Congratulations on your first brew!

 

Do not move your brews to your daughter's abode. No good can come of this!


Just wait. Be patient. 3 weeks is a blink in this game! I have a several beers right now that I am getting ready to open that are 8 months in.

 

MADNESS you say! Yes. I agree........it is madness. My very first batch was a mad scientist american ale. I still remember that beautiful apple cider taste from week 4.

 

Here is the method. However you decide to bottle....put aside half for sampling at whatever schedule you determine. 3, 5, 7, 9. weeks....something like. that. Put the other half aside for longer term conditioning. Think 10 weeks plus. 

 

In them mean brew again. And repeat. Before you know it you will have a pipeline of fresh beer and conditioned beer ready to sample and enjoy.

 

 

John K. likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My second brew will be ready for conditioning soon, so I will follow the advice and just condition it longer. I only have 6 bottles left of the first brew, so I don't have much for sampling. It only made 10 1/2 of those PET bottles. My second batch will be 12 oz glass bottles, so more chances for samples.   

MrWhy and John K. like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Balr14 said:

My second brew will be ready for conditioning soon, so I will follow the advice and just condition it longer. I only have 6 bottles left of the first brew, so I don't have much for sampling. It only made 10 1/2 of those PET bottles. My second batch will be 12 oz glass bottles, so more chances for samples.   

 

The eternal debate......more little bottles is more sampling....but is also more bottling. More big bottles are less bottling. But more sampling....

 

I've done both. Now for the most part my plan going forward is 7 big (750ml) bottles and a six pack. I figure the six pack gives me four weeks of sampling and two to give to friends....with seven nice big glass bottles when the time is right.

 

And conditioning longer is never bad. I started with three weeks...then five...then eight weeks....then I went to six months. 

 

The stories I could tell you.

John K. likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0