Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MetalKdub

Bottles

10 posts in this topic

I'm new at this brewing thing so this may be a stupid question to some of you. Can I use bottles that previously had store bought beer in them for bottling my Mr. Beer? If I can and do, what do I need to do to clean them out properly before I use them?
  Thank you

Do you think I should use a bristle brush on the bottles to make sure they're free of all impurities, or do you think warm water and Oxygen brewery wash will be enough after I finish of the beer that came in them?

OBW and the brush should do just fine to wash, provided it's not like a copper wire brush or anything. Just be sure you re-sanitize on bottling day.

All I've ever used to clean my bottles is hot water and a little scent free detergent. Fill mostly with water. Add a bit of detergent. Shake like crazy. Empty, fill, shake, repeat until all soap is gone.

I have a case of glass bottles in the dishwasher right now on the rinse cycle, no detergent. I'll still clean the. But at least this way I can store them without having bugs or mold.

i think my get rich invention will be miniature funnels and beer safe detergent. Fit funnel on bottle upside down, add detergent, get clean bottles. Perfect idea.