Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jsmall41

Non Mr Beer kits

Sure have.  I've used other companies recipes in the LBK a few times.  Having 2 helps out a lot b/c you can split it between the 2 of them.  I've also whipped up a few of my own recipes in them.  They're great to experiment in; better to lose 2 gallons to a not-so-tasty batch than lose 5 gallons.  Only thing that you kind of lose by using the LBK is the racking to a secondary.  Good luck!  :)

42 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Sure have.  I've used other companies recipes in the LBK a few times.  Having 2 helps out a lot b/c you can split it between the 2 of them.  I've also whipped up a few of my own recipes in them.  They're great to experiment in; better to lose 2 gallons to a not-so-tasty batch than lose 5 gallons.  Only thing that you kind of lose by using the LBK is the racking to a secondary.  Good luck!  :)

+1 

the fermenter doesnt care where you got your ingredients. Its just happy to help. I think Mr Beer is a HME company best known for their fermenter. People love the LBK

I've had some pretty okay results from NB/Midwest Supplies (they seem to be basically the same company) - there's actually a basic English brown ale kit fermenting right now. The biggest problem is you'd need to split it into two kegs (or I guess you could accept leaving your ingredients opened and half used...)

10 minutes ago, yawgeh said:

I've had some pretty okay results from NB/Midwest Supplies (they seem to be basically the same company) - there's actually a basic English brown ale kit fermenting right now. The biggest problem is you'd need to split it into two kegs (or I guess you could accept leaving your ingredients opened and half used...)

More is always better than less. You can drink it at your leisure but if youre brewing, you may as well brew it all. Not to talk about myself but i had great results doing a single mash split into two partial mash beers. One went into a saison and the other half was an IPL. I understand brewing is time consuming so why not cheat father time and net more beer at the same time?

the LBK is great for test batches and then you can brew them double and split between two kegs.

when I found my skillset advanced enough to go to 5 gal, started using NB.  good kits. usually quality ingredients.. but now in bed with Inbev.  ive also used the kits from "the company that must not be named" but sounds like screw beamon.   :P   now that I am all growed up I like making recipes from scratch with supplies purchased from my lhbs.

I still say though that you cant beat mr beer for a great place to start your brewing journey. I owe my persistence, much of my knowledge base and obsession to mr beer and the good people who frequented this forum.

3 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

when I found my skillset advanced enough to go to 5 gal, started using NB.  good kits. usually quality ingredients.. but now in bed with Inbev.  ive also used the kits from "the company that must not be named" but sounds like screw beamon.   :P   now that I am all growed up I like making recipes from scratch with supplies purchased from my lhbs.

I still say though that you cant beat mr beer for a great place to start your brewing journey. I owe my persistence, much of my knowledge base and obsession to mr beer and the good people who frequented this forum.

Agree 1000%, zorak!  Well put, sir!!!  ??

if you want to try a 5 gallon recipe, I'd suggest this first

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beer-Brewmax-Gallon-Homebrewing/dp/B01M8MRANX/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488929081&sr=8-3&keywords=mr.+beer+6+gallon

It has a 6 gallon Mr. Beer fermenter, and a very tasty recipe.  After that one, you can easily either buy a 5 gallon recipe and use one fermenter, or (like I plan to do so soon) buy two of the same Mr. Beer recipes and ferment both as one batch

One tiny note that this kit does not include glass bottles, but those are available through Mr. Beer........or empty your own.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:35 PM, zorak1066 said:

I'm trying to support my lhbs

i'm in the transition too, but the co owner is a knock out hot babe and I get visually  locked onto her upper chest area and forget who I am. So now when I visit, I don't see her anymore, but her husband is there to help

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

i'm in the transition too, but the co owner is a knock out hot babe and I get visually  locked onto her upper chest area and forget who I am. So now when I visit, I don't see her anymore, but her husband is there to help

the owner of my LHBS is a 70+ year old woman.  Not much of a problem for me to pay attention to my shopping

3 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

My lhbs is ran my man in his mid-50's; he's been brewing since the 80's. Very knowledgeable and nice.. he also used to sell herb to my dad in high school.

5 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Hey all -

I am sure I have seen this before - but what size pot do you need to brew a 5 gallon extract kit?

I know @RickBeer has answered this many times.....

well.... for me i use an 8 gallon but depending on the kit instructions some only use 2.5-4.0 in the pot and rest of water in fermenter..

all the 5 gallon kits ive done only require a 2.5-3 gallon boil on average.  if you do a full volume boil you get better hop utilization.  whatever you choose try to have at least 1.5 gallons of head space in your pot... ie if doing a 3 gallon boil use a 4.5-5 gallon sized pot.  boil overs are more easily prevented this way.  also when boiling wort it is a good idea to have a sanitized spray bottle of the same water you are brewing with to spritz the top of the boiling wort if it starts to go ballistic.  it rapidly cools the surface and slows down the boil a little.

note too that when you add hops the wort gets a little more agitated ie foamy and can boil over. 

13 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

all the 5 gallon kits ive done only require a 2.5-3 gallon boil on average.  if you do a full volume boil you get better hop utilization.  whatever you choose try to have at least 1.5 gallons of head space in your pot... ie if doing a 3 gallon boil use a 4.5-5 gallon sized pot.  boil overs are more easily prevented this way.  also when boiling wort it is a good idea to have a sanitized spray bottle of the same water you are brewing with to spritz the top of the boiling wort if it starts to go ballistic.  it rapidly cools the surface and slows down the boil a little.

note too that when you add hops the wort gets a little more agitated ie foamy and can boil over. 

I was brewing with a buddy at an actual full sized, big boys, brewery a couple months ago and that spray bottle became a garden hose.  It still makes me smile and laugh thinking about it.  I mean, a spray bottle would do nothing for 17 BBLs (527 gallons) of wort lol, but that garden hose sure did lol :)

IMG_0719.thumb.PNG.225b3f1142a3969abb01be60f1460859.PNG

IMG_9577.mp4