Mr.Beer Community
hotrod3539

StarSan inquiry

Hey guys! Picked up a bottle of StarSan ... Questions on StarSan....

Do you mix it in 5 gallons at a time like the bottle says or do you mix smaller amounts? How do you store it once it's mixed? How long can you keep it once it's mixed before it is no longer effective to use? Any general tips and tricks appreciated!

You make it in any amount, in the ratio they describe, which is 1 ounce per 5 gallons.  There are 6 TEASPOONS in an ounce.  So, if you want to use 1 gallon of water, you would use 1.2 teaspoons, or 1.25 since you probably have a 1 teaspoon and a 1/4 teaspoon.

I store mine in a 1 gallon milk container.  You can store it in a bucket, just watch for condensation on the lid molding.

You can use it until the pH hits 3 or higher.  Without a pH meter or strips, figure about 4 - 6 weeks.  Since that gallon costs around $0.10, I toss mine after 6 weeks.  

Remember it is acid based.  I had a nice pair of chrome tongs I used, that I would plop in the bucket my whole brewing day.  They de-chromed.  I got them replaced by the manufacturer, but now I just dunk them as needed.  Ideally, stainless tools would be better.

Don't fear the foam!  Foam is good.  Never rinse it off.

Mix it in any amount you want basically.  It all depends on how much I need and what I am doing.  if I want to do just a spray bottles worth, I will.  Most generally I will make 5 gallons at a time to do what I need, then I can save some in 1 gallon jars.  My general rule is that I will keep it until it turns cloudy.  :)

I was about to respond to this and point out that a 32 oz spray bottle would be 0.3 teaspoons but decided to check on my bottle to confirm the size.  I discovered that my milk carton had leaked, and the cookie tray it was sitting on was 1/4" deep in StarSan.  As was my gram scale, which is now taken apart and drying out.  And my 8 packets of Mr. Beer sanitizer.  Found a small cut in the milk jug, no idea how that happened or if the StarSan weakened it over time.  

7 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I was about to respond to this and point out that a 32 oz spray bottle would be 0.3 teaspoons but decided to check on my bottle to confirm the size.  I discovered that my milk carton had leaked, and the cookie tray it was sitting on was 1/4" deep in StarSan.  As was my gram scale, which is now taken apart and drying out.  And my 8 packets of Mr. Beer sanitizer.  Found a small cut in the milk jug, no idea how that happened or if the StarSan weakened it over time.  

I whip up 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket.  to reduce mold growth on lid I saran wrap the top of bucket before I put lid on.  you might still get some blackish stuff near the lip of the bucket from condensation but it is easily nuked with star san on a paper towel.    the saran wrap or cling wrap will help keep mold growth from the lid ... and under the gasket.

like others I also keep a spray bottle of star san and water for spot sanitizing things like spoons on the fly.

I spot check the ph with testing papers.. while not entirely accurate anything below 3-4 and I still use it.  of it is nearing 4 I might add a dribble of starsan.  I can keep a batch for months without losing effectiveness.   I like the star san bottles because they have the convenience of a built in measure. uncap one side, squeeze solution up to the line... done.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, RickBeer said:

Plastic jugs develop stress fractures during use. I rotate mine out at least once per month because the mess just isn't worth it. For what it's worth, 3 teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon for those who only want to mix 2.5 gallons