creamz13

Brew in a bag problemo

13 posts in this topic

So my intention to upgrade to allgrain has hit a wall. I have a 7.5 maybe 8.5 gallon pot i brew in. Im doing a 11lb grain bill. And i have been told ill need 9.5 gallons to mash.

Question is. Can i do 7.5 gallon mash...then sparge to my 6.5 gallon boil volume. 

11lb 2 row. 

1.5oz kent golding 60m

1oz 15m

.5oz 5.

Whirloc 5m.

155 mash temp. 60m.

Yes its a smash recipe got grains cheap decided to try.

HoppySmile! likes this

On 2/23/2017 at 0:25 PM, creamz13 said:

So my intention to upgrade to allgrain has hit a wall. I have a 7.5 maybe 8.5 gallon pot i brew in. Im doing a 11lb grain bill. And i have been told ill need 9.5 gallons to mash.

Question is. Can i do 7.5 gallon mash...then sparge to my 6.5 gallon boil volume. 

11lb 2 row. 

1.5oz kent golding 60m

1oz 15m

.5oz 5.

Whirloc 5m.

155 mash temp. 60m.

Yes its a smash recipe got grains cheap decided to try.

Creamz,

Sorry I may be a little late to the game.  To answer your question in a word "Yes", you can do a smaller mash and then sparge to get your preboil volume.  Use a collander or some other type of strainer to hold your grains while you pour sparge water over them or if you have a second pot, just put the proper amount of sparge water in it and dunk the grain bag to achieve a suido sparge in that manner.

HoppySmile! and creamz13 like this

So i was able to mash in and sparge with 1 gallon. it was the worst brewday by far. BUT i learned alot mainly building a mashtun is way easier in my situation.

2 hours ago, creamz13 said:

So i was able to mash in and sparge with 1 gallon. it was the worst brewday by far. BUT i learned alot mainly building a mashtun is way easier in my situation.

I BIAB on the stove now, for now, and the hop sacks the brew kits include go into storage for some other life. I like the large bag effect, allows the grains to have space to absorb more than a hop sack maxed out and preventing the sugars and starches to release like they should.

hotrod3539 likes this

hey hoppy... re biab,  my lhbs grinds the grain into oblivion so I have lots of dust.  how do you handle all the dust that settles through the mesh of the bag?  any way to strain it out so it doesn't end up in the fermenter?  I tried the whirlpool and settle method but it doesn't work so well for me.  lately ive been using paper towel in a strainer to act as a filter before going to the kettle.  I still end up with silt.

is there a certain micron sized mesh that would sift out the silt?

HoppySmile! likes this

Zorak,

I do a bag in a water cooler for my mash tun and I grind my own grain getting quite a bit of dust.  There is a good amount that leaves my mash tun and I filter it through a 300 micron filter in a big funnel.  Seems to work for me even though there is still some that gets through. 

Dawg

HoppySmile! and hotrod3539 like this

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:06 AM, BDawg62 said:

300 micron filter in a big funnel

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, zorak1066 said:

there a certain micron sized mesh that would sift out the silt?

like BDawg says, when I pour into the fermenter I use a filtered funnel and it really helps clear out the hop mush too! I really don't think you will get 100% perfect results unless further investment in a filtered pump assembly or related. but it really does help a lot using a filtered funnel, just takes time to pour into the fermenter because you have to constantly stir above the filter to keep the fluid flowing, but you will see how much didn't go into the wort.

I have a large fine mesh stainless steel sieve. I have been dipping sheets of paper towel in starsan, then lining the bottom of the sieve to act as an additional filter.. when working with dusty all grain.  the sieve itself does good with hops... gets SOME break matter out...  but dust goes right through.  the paper towel along with whirlfloc I must say did a mostly  good job.   I just bottled a esb all grain batch.   there was only about a quart trub loss and it was very very dense. where I run into problems is that it a) soaks up wort and  b- it clogs relatively quickly and I have to change the paper.

SO update!!! This brew is gone!

It turned out better then expected DEF got the job done.  A friend of mine loved it and helped me kill it. Thats 2 nights we both wont remember for a while. The fiance was not happy lol. Either way it turned out very drinkable but wont brew this specific one again. Just was not my prefered beer style

hotrod3539 and Shrike like this