dale hihn

priming with DME vs sugar

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there's a difference in bottle conditioning time when using DME vs. Sugar for priming? What about flavour differences? Thinking of trying in the future. Thanks. 

I've been using table sugar since I've started,,dont see any reason to use anything else .... Dialed in where I like my carbonation,,,,, I usually go 48 grams for my ales and 36 grams for my stouts,,, I batch prime ,,,works for me.... Everyone is different so you'll have to play around till you find the levels you like..... Good luck...🍻

22 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

I've been using table sugar since I've started,,dont see any reason to use anything else .... Dialed in where I like my carbonation,,,,, I usually go 48 grams for my ales and 36 grams for my stouts,,, I batch prime ,,,works for me.... Everyone is different so you'll have to play around till you find the levels you like..... Good luck...🍻

Truth is , I think that there are differences in fermentation rates with different sugars. http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/31746029/effect-different-sugars-rate-fermentation-yeast. 

Corn sugar is fructose (I think) and table sugar is sucrose... and I think yeast find it easier to ferment fructose than sucrose.

52 minutes ago, Brewer said:

I never said there wasn't a difference...just said I use table sugar and batch prime...

1 hour ago, Brewer said:

Truth is , I think that there are differences in fermentation rates with different sugars. http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/31746029/effect-different-sugars-rate-fermentation-yeast. 

Corn sugar is fructose (I think) and table sugar is sucrose... and I think yeast find it easier to ferment fructose than sucrose.

Corn sugar is dextrose or glucose. 

Table sugar is sucrose.

Your reference states:  "Yeast had the highest carbon dioxide formation rates using sucrose, followed by: Splenda®, dark brown sugar, powdered sugar, light brown sugar, glucose, Sugar- In- The- Raw®, maltose, fructose, Equal®, and galactose.

Therefore, table sugar is in fact faster if your article is correct... 

Table sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide, whereas corn sugar (dextrose / glucose) is a monosaccharide.  Sucrose is formed when a molecule of glucose bonds with a molecule of fructose.  

Stroomer420 likes this

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Corn sugar is dextrose or glucose. 

Table sugar is sucrose.

Your reference states:  "Yeast had the highest carbon dioxide formation rates using sucrose, followed by: Splenda®, dark brown sugar, powdered sugar, light brown sugar, glucose, Sugar- In- The- Raw®, maltose, fructose, Equal®, and galactose.

Therefore, table sugar is in fact faster if your article is correct... 

Table sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide, whereas corn sugar (dextrose / glucose) is a monosaccharide.  Sucrose is formed when a molecule of glucose bonds with a molecule of fructose.  

Splenda counts?  DIET BEER!!!!!!!!!!!

What about Sweet 'N Low or SweetOne

(sorry RickBeer.......two shots of scotch and a leinenkugel.  I just had to)

:D :D :D

5 hours ago, Brewer said:

Truth is , I think that there are differences in fermentation rates with different sugars. http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/31746029/effect-different-sugars-rate-fermentation-yeast. 

Yes, there are differences, but these differences are EXTREMELY minimal and cannot be detected without precise measurements. I prefer fermenting maltose over sucrose or fructose because that's what beer is made of.

Brewer likes this