Mr.Beer Community
Niblick

Thinking About...

Probably have done a dozen or so batches in the past couple of years, some straight up, some with DME, LME, and/or different dry hop additions, and still haven't found an eye-popping, mouth-watering concoction that's to die for.

And now I'm sitting in my den looking at two cans of HME-Classic American Ale and Classic American Light-and I'm wondering what would happen if I used both (with booster) in one LBK?  On the surface, both seem pretty benign, but if I mixed them together....

So is this a good idea or a bad idea?  And what could I expect in terms of flavor, body, ABV, and will my LBK explode under the strain?  

I say go for it.  You will probably experience some overflow from the LBK, just make sure to keep the vents clear. 

I don't think you will get the eye-popping, mouth-watering concoction that you are looking for, but then again who knows.

5 minutes ago, Shrike said:

If you tighten the lid down all the way, then back it off 1/4 turn you most likely won't have to worry about overflow.  That is, as long as you keep the wort temp at optimum.

Not quite - if you do that to the lid you mostly likely won't have to worry about the lid blowing off, but overflow will still happen.

46 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

You will get a combined ABV, 3.1 + 3.1, plus the booster (1.1) for a total of 7.3 or so bland beer.  

Kinda thought this would be the answer.  BUT, this sounds better to me than two separate batches of 4.2 and 3.1 bland beer.

Wasnt really expecting the EP/MW concoction I described in my OP, just hoping to find something a little less meh than what I've come up with so far.  

If you've done some of the PM recipes from Mr. Beer and still find them meh, you might have some pretty high expectations. It really depends on what you mean by "eye-popping" and "mouthwatering". To me, that sounds like a flavorful beer in terms of malt and hops. If it's ABV that causes the aforementioned effects, maybe you try some of the bigger beer recipes Mr. Beer has to offer. 

Going off the beaten path to make a high-ABV concoction usually doesn't end well. You will have a beer with a lot of bite but little taste. One thing I've learned to appreciate is a brewer's ability to mask the alcohol bite with a great malt backbone and a bouquet of hops. 

I recommend doing a little research on a clone of a commercial beer that makes your eyes water and mouth pop. You can usually assimilate a recipe using Mr. Beer ingredients. 

In the end, do what makes you happy. Live and learn. You may just stumble upon a great recipe. Just make sure to keep thorough notes. 

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Not quite - if you do that to the lid you mostly likely won't have to worry about the lid blowing off, but overflow will still happen.

Now that I've had my coffee, yeah, that makes sense.  :)  The lid being unscrewed a little doesn't affect the voraciousness of the fermentation.  

Since I learned the "1/4 turn trick" I haven't had any overflow at all, and that includes doing a couple of high ABV recipes, LSBBS and Burleywine.  But that was also about the time that I learned the importance of temperature control and I make sure to keep my wort at about 64-66.  

I've only ever had one overflow and that was when I first started.  It was a plain old St. Patty's stout with the booster.  I had the LBK in a room where the ambient temperature was 74-75.  So I probably hit 80 on the wort temp during high krausen.  If I knew then what I know now... :)

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Niblick said:

Probably have done a dozen or so batches in the past couple of years, some straight up, some with DME, LME, and/or different dry hop additions, and still haven't found an eye-popping, mouth-watering concoction that's to die for.

And now I'm sitting in my den looking at two cans of HME-Classic American Ale and Classic American Light-and I'm wondering what would happen if I used both (with booster) in one LBK?  On the surface, both seem pretty benign, but if I mixed them together....

So is this a good idea or a bad idea?  And what could I expect in terms of flavor, body, ABV, and will my LBK explode under the strain?  

I realize this was posted over a year ago but, I'll toss in my two cents anyway. If I want to have a tasty brew, I start with one of those two MB HME and build from there. 

At 16 I was in Bamberg, Germany and was enthralled with Rauchbier. At $4/bottle the memories they bring back are expensive ( one reason I homebrew😉). At my local HBS, I purchase 1 lb of beech smoked Rauchmalt to mash and lager yeast. My family named it Witches' Tears. I do the same using flaked rye because I loved the pumpernickle Roggenbiers.