grof5407

Looking for suggestions to modify Czech Pilsner

53 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm new and I wanted to make a czech pilsner, but wanted to tweak the flavor a bit. Not sure how to do this or what flavor profile would taste good. Any suggestions and tips for doing this? Thanks In Advance.

 

MiniYoda, MrWhy, NwMaltHead and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

depends on the direction you wan to go.  more hop or more malt?

well I'm not real sure. I was reading that people use fruit, spices things like that. Can't really afford to buy hops or anything. I'm working with just the can of Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner at the moment. 

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mr. Beer site has great recipes, some are great for starters, some are rather advance.  Adding fruit isn't bad but requires the step of sanitizing and using a blender.  Try those HMEs (Grand Bohemian or Czech Pilsner) then add one pouch of LME, like

 

http://www.mrbeer.com/brewmax-lme-softpack-robust   robust, or

 

http://www.mrbeer.com/brewmax-lme-softpack-smooth smooth

 

MY

grof5407, NwMaltHead and MrWhy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go with the golden or pale LME myself,, the robust is gonna give ya coffee toffee like flavors which could be good idk its your beer... But since your new I'd try the grand bohemian chech pilsner straight up ,,add a pale LME and it will still taste pretty much like it's supposed to,,, the golden LME will definitely give ya better head retention....i pretty much use the robust in my stouts and porters... But again its your beer and that's half the fun.... Good luck 🍻

grof5407, MrWhy and hotrod3539 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, grof5407 said:

Hey all,

I'm new and I wanted to make a czech pilsner, but wanted to tweak the flavor a bit. Not sure how to do this or what flavor profile would taste good. Any suggestions and tips for doing this? Thanks In Advance.

 

 

Best way to tweak flavor is 

1. Add 1 lme - go with pale or gold.

2. Add 1 or two hops. The Cpils is a good base beer. There is not a lot that can go wrong. Look at the hop descriptions. You may, for this, want to add a bit of hallertau. But whatever. It will all work.

 

If you want more hop flavor aroma, go for two. Get the malt extract and water at a VERY light boil and put in one hop for 5-10 minutes.

Then turn off the boil, add the second bag of hops and add the pilsner.

 

If you want less hop flavor skip the first one (the boil) and just add 1 bag at the end.

 

The varieties and variations are endless!

 

 

grof5407 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

I'd go with the golden or pale LME myself,, the robust is gonna give ya coffee toffee like flavors which could be good idk its your beer... But since your new I'd try the grand bohemian chech pilsner straight up ,,add a pale LME and it will still taste pretty much like it's supposed to,,, the golden LME will definitely give ya better head retention....i pretty much use the robust in my stouts and porters... But again its your beer and that's half the fun.... Good luck 🍻

 

5 hours ago, MrWhy said:

 

Best way to tweak flavor is 

1. Add 1 lme - go with pale or gold.

2. Add 1 or two hops. The Cpils is a good base beer. There is not a lot that can go wrong. Look at the hop descriptions. You may, for this, want to add a bit of hallertau. But whatever. It will all work.

 

If you want more hop flavor aroma, go for two. Get the malt extract and water at a VERY light boil and put in one hop for 5-10 minutes.

Then turn off the boil, add the second bag of hops and add the pilsner.

 

If you want less hop flavor skip the first one (the boil) and just add 1 bag at the end.

 

The varieties and variations are endless!

 

 

Thanks guys I'm going to try the golden and check out their hops. I appreciate the help.

 

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

sounds like a winner to me...🍻

Thanks. I can't wait to try it out.  I ordered the 1776 Ale recipe/ingredients, just waiting for them to arrive. 

Stroomer420 and NwMaltHead like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grof5407 said:

So this is what I have decided to try. The Cpils with the 

BrewMax LME SoftPack - Golden

Hallertau Pellet Hops for aroma

Chinook Pellet Hops to add bitterness.  

all recommended for pale ales.  What do you guys think of this combo?

 

 

Great combo!

 

For bitterness: Get the golden with water at a low boil - add the Chinook hops and look for a 20 minute boil.  I would at the end of 20 minutes pull that hop sack and toss it.

 

For aroma/flavor - after you pull out the chinook - toss in the hallertau and immediately turn off heat. Stir in the CPils. Following Mr. Beer instructions get everything, with hallerau hop sack into the keg.

 

It is going to turn out great!

 

 

Stroomer420, grof5407 and Shrike like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just remember the basics... Keep your wort temperature in the mid 60's ,,go three weeks fermenting in the LBK...carb/condition for at least four weeks before you put in the fridge and try,, and you should end up with a really good beer.... Good luck 🍻

hotrod3539 and grof5407 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

 

Great combo!

 

For bitterness: Get the golden with water at a low boil - add the Chinook hops and look for a 20 minute boil.  I would at the end of 20 minutes pull that hop sack and toss it.

 

For aroma/flavor - after you pull out the chinook - toss in the hallertau and immediately turn off heat. Stir in the CPils. Following Mr. Beer instructions get everything, with hallerau hop sack into the keg.

 

It is going to turn out great!

 

 

Should I add the golden with my four cups of water and bring that to a boil together and then add the chinnook hops and continue boiling for twenty minutes or do I boil the water first add the golden to the boiling water?

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one other question, should i order a specific yeast or will the yeast packet under the lid of the Cpils can be fine still?

 

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, grof5407 said:

Should I add the golden with my four cups of water and bring that to a boil together and then add the chinnook hops and continue boiling for twenty minutes or do I boil the water first add the golden to the boiling water?

Bring the LME and water to a boil, then add the hops; they need something to stick to. Follow the usual directions for there. 

grof5407 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, grof5407 said:

one other question, should i order a specific yeast or will the yeast packet under the lid of the Cpils can be fine still?

 

safale-05 is a real good yeast ,,I use that with most of my ales..... But the Mr beer yeast will do the trick....

grof5407 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, grof5407 said:

Should I add the golden with my four cups of water and bring that to a boil together and then add the chinnook hops and continue boiling for twenty minutes or do I boil the water first add the golden to the boiling water?

 

I like to get the water warm (simmering) then stir in the LME (gold). Get it mixed nice then bring the heat up to a low rolling boil. Then add the hops.

 

Re yeast - the Mr Beer yeast is more than adequate, but the 05 yeast is really good and why not try it since you are ordering anyways?

grof5407 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hallertau mittelfru or Czech saaz go good with Pilsen.  I agree with the brewmax golden lme addition / boil. I would use a less aggressive hop for bittering like perle. or perhaps just use less chinook. remember the mr beer hme's are hopped.

 

do a 20 min boil with perle and the lme.  with 8-10 mins left add the hallertau... and then add saaz at flame out?  something like this? then add your hme.. top it off with cold water ... 

 

the lme will help with head retention and add a touch of wheat. it will add 1% to your abv.  

grof5407 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

hallertau mittelfru or Czech saaz go good with Pilsen.  I agree with the brewmax golden lme addition / boil. I would use a less aggressive hop for bittering like perle. or perhaps just use less chinook. remember the mr beer hme's are hopped.

 

do a 20 min boil with perle and the lme.  with 8-10 mins left add the hallertau... and then add saaz at flame out?  something like this? then add your hme.. top it off with cold water ... 

 

the lme will help with head retention and add a touch of wheat. it will add 1% to your abv.  

The GBCP is next up in the brewing hopper and I am looking to add some light Pilsen DME, as well as Saaz and Hallertau Mittlefreu hops. Question for the group: what hop schedule would you use for 0.5 oz of the aforementioned hops? I'm only looking for aroma and look to do a 5 or 10 of one and dry hop the other. 

Either way, I don't think I can go wrong!

grof5407 and MrWhy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Aroma hops are added at 5 minutes before end of boil, or dry hop.  

Got it... but you ignored the question :P

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would do .25oz of each at 5 min and then .25oz of each dry hopped for the last 7 days of fermentation.

Big Sarge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use the lightest DME - pilsener or the wheat - unless you really like it malty. For me if it is that malty it is not a pilsener that I like. I  like them crisp.

For the Cooper's Pilsener  (not the same HME) I added Saaz hops. But I have done the same for the Mr Beer LME, and a pack of the lightest LME.

I did it 2 ways with the Cooper's: 

- with 0.5 oz in bag at flameout - left in through fermentation

- with 0.5 oz made steeped in boiling water for 30 min than liquor added before fermentation. This one had another 8 oz Pilsener  DME

Both were good.

 

Try to ferment cool, you can use a mix of lager and ale yeasts - that is what Coopers give you so it works at any temp.

 

 

 

 

grof5407, Big Sarge and MrWhy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now