grof5407

Looking for suggestions to modify Czech Pilsner

53 posts in this topic

incidentally, doing a 60 min boil of nugget, 8 mins of sorachi ace, and adding hallertau at flame out in a chipotle porter that has cold brewed coffee and rock and rye and medium roast French oak cubes....  actually worked.   sampled another of my trub bottles and it's really nice.  perfect balance of roast, toast, smoke, coffee, heat and hints of fruitiness.  smells great too. using the amber dme was a great choice to balance the dark lme and steeping grains.   got lucky.  this could have come out very very strange. this is definitely a beer I would gladly reproduce in large volumes again .  luckily I wrote everything down this time.

MrWhy likes this

9 minutes ago, zorak1066 said:

incidentally, doing a 60 min boil of nugget, 8 mins of sorachi ace, and adding hallertau at flame out in a chipotle porter that has cold brewed coffee and rock and rye and medium roast French oak cubes....  actually worked.   sampled another of my trub bottles and it's really nice.  perfect balance of roast, toast, smoke, coffee, heat and hints of fruitiness.  smells great too. using the amber dme was a great choice to balance the dark lme and steeping grains.   got lucky.  this could have come out very very strange. this is definitely a beer I would gladly reproduce in large volumes again .  luckily I wrote everything down this time.

What/how are you determining your "trub" bottles?

my last few bottles that I auto-siphon usually collect a bunch of trub because I want to get every last drop of beer.  the trub settles out to about 1/4 to 1/2 of the bottle volume depending on how much of a tightwad I want to be.    usually these get rock hard fast because of the presence of more yeast cells that went to sleep, and less beer volume compared to mostly beer filled bottles.  so the sugar used in them is more than needed.

the 2 or 3 bottles of varying amounts of trub I set aside to condition separate from the others.  I use these as my testers.  or... if I end up with a half bottle... that is my tester too.

MrWhy likes this