MiniYoda

5 gallon batch in 2 gallon keg

46 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

2,000 gallons per adult per household

2,000 if there are two occupants, and 1000 if single occupant, this would be my case. believe it or not I get close to the 1000 mark every year

MrWhy likes this

hoppy check out not so deep thought on repurposing Lbk's... I might use one for sake!!!;

2 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I even have  5 gallon plastic carboy I never used, I ordered a 6 gallon and the 5 gal. was sent by mistake, so I got it free. so if someone wants the few LBK's I would throw in that 5 gallon carboy. I need the space

MrWhy and HoppySmile! like this

4 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I even have  5 gallon plastic carboy I never used, I ordered a 6 gallon and the 5 gal. was sent by mistake, so I got it free. so if someone wants the few LBK's I would throw in that 5 gallon carboy. I need the space

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/revitalize-little-brown-keg.html

here it is ,,a quick read

HoppySmile! and MiniYoda like this

2 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

2,000 if there are two occupants, and 1000 if single occupant, this would be my case. believe it or not I get close to the 1000 mark every year

My numbers were in humor.  Those who know can post the real answer. 

HoppySmile! likes this

2 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

My numbers were in humor

well in that perspective, I brew up to 5600 gallons per year

1 minute ago, Stroomer420 said:

that got me curious as well....😁

you know the ladies sure love their wine....... been curious about doing a mead as well for the non alcohol family members

Stroomer420 likes this

4 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

I'd feel a little guilty if I drill holes in the bottom of the lbk for drainage and filled it with dirt lol......use em for parties serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outta em...😁

no, just hang them as planters and host a party.  when the women ask "what are those things", your SWMBO can say, hanging flower pots.  When the guys ask "what are those things", introduce them to home brewing.

I'm pretty sure the limit is 200gal per adult per year. So most of us have a limit of 400 a year. Although I don't know if this is Federal or State.

Not quite.  Federal law in 1979 allowed homebrewing to a max of 100 gallons per adult over 21 living in the home, for a max of 200 gallons per home.   You should familiarize yourself with your state's laws, which may limit transportation of your homebrew.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrewing-rights/statutes/

Edit - the law also specifically outlaws anything that HoppySmile does, but that's a whole different story...

Shrike, BDawg62 and NwMaltHead like this

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Not quite.  Federal law in 1979 allowed homebrewing to a max of 100 gallons per adult over 21 living in the home, for a max of 200 gallons per home.   You should familiarize yourself with your state's laws, which may limit transportation of your homebrew.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrewing-rights/statutes/

Rick is correct, it is indeed 100 gallons per adult.  But then how are they going to know what you brewed in January when it is November.  This law is nearly unable to be enforced.  Unless you begin selling your homebrew nobody is going to mess with you on the quantity that you brew.

Transportation is another animal all together.  There are states where you can't transport homebrew outside of your house.  You can't send it to anyone via US mail anywhere in the US.  And there are other states where brewclubs break the law by consuming homebrews in the establishment that they meet in, especially if that establishment serves alcohol. 

You definitely need to read your states laws.  There are many of them that change and are in the process of changing.

Shrike likes this

Right.   In addition, the first Saturday in May is National Homebrew Day.  Many LHBS have events, and many invite clubs to come and serve their brews on their property.  Not that the booze police are coming around, but transporting to the location and serving at the location could be in violation of a state's laws.  In addition, the LHBS could be in violation of that state's liquor laws also by allowing the consumption of alcohol on their premises without a license or permit, and in fact may be illegal regardless, since the general public is consuming the homebrew, not just club members.  This is different than major events where a fee is charged for admission, because those events obtain permits from the state and local communities to comply with the law.

Again, it's not like the booze police are driving around looking for you.  However, if you get stopped for speeding and there is a bunch of homebrew sitting on the seat, the officer might ask about it.  Unlikely, but may.  A bigger issue would involve someone consuming your homebrew, then getting in an accident, and the investigation gets into details about what they drank and where.  Again, probably not the authorities coming after you, but an aggrieved party may sue you for damages they incur.

I gave my son a case of homebrew when he was 21 and at college.  I told him that he could share, with select friends, but they could only have one bottle each time, and it was his responsibility to ensure they were sober and not driving.  He allowed certain friends to drink it as the first bottle they consumed, and they then switched to normal college swill, in his mind the swill would make them drunk, not my homebrew.  

14 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

been curious about doing a mead as well for the non alcohol family members

You mean for the non-beer drinking family members, right?  My two batches of mead were 11% and 12%, with the 12%er being a strawberry melomel.

I do like the idea of using the LBK for making mead.  I can go from a 1 gallon batch to a 2 or 2.5 gallon batch in the same basic space.

MrWhy and kedogn like this

On 3/22/2017 at 7:31 PM, RickBeer said:

I do indeed put 2.5 gallons in each LBK.  I ferment at 64, and only Nottingham overflows, and just barely.  

@RickBeer How do you go about transferring the wort and evenly distributing between the 2 LBKs? Auto siphon? or pour into a funnel and eyeball it..? =p

Start with a gallon of cold water in each LBK.  Use a pint measuring cup I scoup out wort and pour into a quart measuring cup through a strainer to the quart line.  I then pour into an LBK, then switch to the next LBK and then back again.  Then I top off with cold water.

9 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Start with a gallon of cold water in each LBK.  Use a pint measuring cup I scoup out wort and pour into a quart measuring cup through a strainer to the quart line.  I then pour into an LBK, then switch to the next LBK and then back again.  Then I top off with cold water.

Thanks Rick!

10 hours ago, RickBeer said:

*Scoop. S-c-o-o-p.  Scoop.

IMG_0460.JPG

Shrike, Big Sarge and Creeps McLane like this