Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dale hihn

pale malt

22 posts in this topic

Hi all. Got a nice bag of pale malt at lhbs. Just trying to decide how to use it (no experience with grain). Thinking of doing my first mash, then adding to a CAL or Canadian blonde. I just have no idea how much to use or if there's a better suggestion. I have a can of oktoberfest on hand I could utilize also. Hoping to use the malt for more body/flavour. Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated. I am really enjoying reading/learning/doing! Cheers!

MiniYoda, John K. and MRB Tim like this

If it was me, I'd use it with the CAL or the Blonde. Not that it wouldn't add anything to the Oktober, just that I think it would make a more noticeable difference with the lighter ones.

13 minutes ago, dale hihn said:

no experience with grain

It's very, very easy. Heat 4 cups of water to around 155 F, put grains (in muslin sack) in water, leave for 30-60 mins, remove grains, pour 1 cup warm water over grains into water to get out any soaked up malt water, then use the 4 cups of your grain water to boil and add HME as normal.

dale hihn, MichaelL and MiniYoda like this

What he said.

I did my first partial mash earlier this month, and I'm not looking back.  The saying goes, If you can make soup, you can make Mr. Beer.  If you can boil tea, you can make a partial mash.

MiniYoda..........who can't cook worth a <CENSORED>

dale hihn and MrWhy like this

Thanks all. Tim, how much grain (by weight) do you recommend? I have watched the video and it's definitely something I can do!!

MRB Tim likes this

1 minute ago, dale hihn said:

how much grain (by weight) do you recommend?

8 oz is a good starting point. I suggest making notes of exactly how much of each ingredient you use. That makes future adjustments/figuring out what went wrong much easier.

John K. likes this

Don't forget a few of the basics - you are going to need a thermometer to measure the temp of the water. You don't want to boil the grains! You need a sack to put the grains in. A nice tea strainer is really handy.  You might need more than 4 cups of water to cover the grains. This is fine. (I've never been able to cover my grains with less than 6 to 8 cups.)

Grains are great.

dale hihn likes this

What method is best for cracking the grain open? I was thinking of putting in a ziploc and using a rolling pin on it. Decided to partial mash on my next batch, after a short Vegas vacation (visiting 777 Brewery in Main Street Station!!)

Stroomer420 likes this

For anything a pound or less, (like specialty malts) I use mortar and pestle. Works great but takes a bit of time. Easy to control just how milled/cracked it gets.

2 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

I used a zip lock bag a brick and a cinder block ,,, just be careful not to over do it..,,smaller quantities at a time works better,, I found this easier then a rolling pin...

WP_20170224_012.jpg

WP_20170224_013.jpg

#savage #paleo #hellyeah 

Stroomer420 likes this

10 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

#savage #paleo #hellyeah 

#working with what ya got....one day I'll break down and spend the 30$ for a grain mill... 😁

MrWhy likes this

2 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

#working with what ya got....one day I'll break down and spend the 30$ for a grain mill... 😁

Show me this grain mill for $30. Ive been eyeing up a 15 lb hopper one for $150 for some time now. 7 lb is $100

dale hihn likes this

10 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Show me this grain mill for $30. Ive been eyeing up a 15 lb hopper one for $150 for some time now. 7 lb is $100

ohh one of those little hand crank ones on Amazon....nothing fancy....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000U5NZ4I/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1490565376&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=grain+mills

3 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

That's what I've got!  Recommendation:  It is very noisy.  I got in big trouble one very early morning cranking on that thing while we had house guests -- always mill your grains the night before you plan to brew beer at 3 in the morning! ;)

dale hihn likes this

2 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

I used a zip lock bag a brick and a cinder block ,,, just be careful not to over do it..,,smaller quantities at a time works better,, I found this easier then a rolling pin...

WP_20170224_012.jpg

WP_20170224_013.jpg

Using the same logic, I don't think this method would go over very well at 3 AM either, lol.🍻

dale hihn and Stroomer420 like this

Just prepped the pale malt for my first partial mash. I gently pulsed a coffee grinder and it seemed to work pretty well. I am planning on making a sort of California dreaming, without the vanilla or orange but adding pale malt mash. Just wondering, can I put the oats in and mash with my grain? Thanks!!