Mr.Beer Community

Help with crafting an English Barleywine  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Best dry yeast for fermenting a 9.6% ABV English Barleywine?

• Danstar Nottingham
    • Danstar Windsor
    • Safale S-04
    • Mangrove Jack's M03 UK Dark Ale
    • Danstar London ESB
    • A combination of any of the above, or other
  2. 2. Bittering hops?

• Challenger (9.6% AA)
    • Bramling Cross (7.8 % AA)
    • Nugget (14.9% AA)
    • Target (10.8% AA)
    • Other
  3. 3. Flavor/aroma hops?

• Fuggles
    • Crystal
    • East Kent Goldings
    • Other
  4. 4. Bring it home with Oak?

• Light Toast American Oak in Sherry
    • Light Toast American Oak in Devil's Cut Bourbon
    • Combination of the above
    • Give it a rest already -- NO OAK!

Asking for help collaboration on crafting an English-style Barleywine using the Mr. Beer Seasonal ESB (best before May 2016), Pale LME, and a mini-mash. I've pretty much figured out the grain bill:  Maris otter, CaraMunich I, Caramel 60, Special B, and maybe a little Melanoidin malt, but that's about as far as I've gotten.  Hops and yeast still need work.  Why should have all the fun?B)

17 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

I already voted I think I was the second one to vote... no bribes necessary.... but kickbacks welcome lol!

Thanks 'Rod!  I was hoping that @Big Sarge, @HoppySmile!, @AnthonyC (Wherever you are), @RickBeer, @Nickfixit, @sabres032, @Stroomer420, @MrWhy, @J A, @scouterbill, @Shrike, @gophers6, @Brian N., @MiniYoda, @BDawg62, @kedogn and @John K. had absolutely nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon than help me with my Barleywine!  @Creeps McLane, you voted last night, right??

Mashing-out for a 60 min. boil.

11 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Thanks 'Rod!  I was hoping that @Big Sarge, @HoppySmile!, @AnthonyC (Wherever you are), @RickBeer, @Nickfixit, @sabres032, @Stroomer420, @MrWhy, @J A, @scouterbill, @Shrike, @gophers6, @Brian N., @MiniYoda, @BDawg62, @kedogn and @John K. had absolutely nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon than help me with my Barleywine!  @Creeps McLane, you voted last night, right??

Mashing-out for a 60 min. boil.

You damn right i did! Oh wait, wrong thread. Damn it i missed this one

18 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Just reached the hot break and started the boil -- there's still time!?

I voted. I think oak adds a nice layer to any beer. I think i said 04 just cuz its what im most familiar with. I steer away from fuggles and EKG because theyre so cookie cutter. I just heard some brewery using cascade in their stout somewhere and I thought that was unique. Just me thinking out loud 

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

I voted. I think oak adds a nice layer to any beer. I think i said 04 just cuz its what im most familiar with. I steer away from fuggles and EKG because theyre so cookie cutter. I just heard some brewery using cascade in their stout somewhere and I thought that was unique. Just me thinking out loud 

Thanks Creeps.  Looks like I'm bittering with Nugget, but no consensus on aroma hops unless there is a rush to the polls in the next half hour.

Brewer's Choice Oak-Aged Extra Special Barleywine

Mr. Beer Seasonal ESB

Crisp Finest Maris Otter, 1 lb.

Muntons Light DME, 1 lb.

Weyermann Type 1 CaraMunich, 0.25 lb.

Briess 2-row Caramel 60, 0.25 lb.

Weyermann Melanoidin, 0.25 lb.

Chateau Special B, 0.25 lb.

Challenger hops, 0.5 oz. 20 min.

Nugget hops, 0.25 oz. 10 min.

Creeps Kent Goldings, 0.5 oz. 5 min.

Mash grains @ 152 F for 60 min.  Dunk-sparge/mash-out @ 170 F for 10 min.  60 min. boil w/light bittering + flavor/aroma hops additions as noted.

Go fishing.

Aerate wort.  Pitch proprietary blend of Nottingham, Safale S-04 and Danstar London ESB to taste.  Begin fermentation cool (60-64 F), monitoring for blow-out.

Add another proprietary mixture of bourbon, sherry and light oak chips following primary fermentation.

Serve @ 55 F in chilled snifters at the 2017 Annual Mr. Beer MUG Christmas Party.?