Bonsai & Brew

legacy recipe
Oak-Aged ESBarleywine

Help with crafting an English Barleywine   10 members have voted

1. 1. Best dry yeast for fermenting a 9.6% ABV English Barleywine?

• Danstar Nottingham
    • Danstar Windsor
    • Safale S-04
    • Mangrove Jack's M03 UK Dark Ale
    • Danstar London ESB
    • A combination of any of the above, or other
  2. 2. Bittering hops?

• Challenger (9.6% AA)
    • Bramling Cross (7.8 % AA)
    • Nugget (14.9% AA)
    • Target (10.8% AA)
    • Other
  3. 3. Flavor/aroma hops?

• Fuggles
    • Crystal
    • East Kent Goldings
    • Other
  4. 4. Bring it home with Oak?

• Light Toast American Oak in Sherry
    • Light Toast American Oak in Devil's Cut Bourbon
    • Combination of the above
    • Give it a rest already -- NO OAK!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Brewer's Choice Oak-Aged Extra Special Barleywine

Mr. Beer Seasonal ESB

Crisp Finest Marris Otter, 1 lb.

Muntons Light DME, 1 lb.

Weyermann Light Munich, 1 lb.

Weyermann Type 1 CaraMunich, 0.25 lb.

Briess 2-row Caramel 60, 0.25 lb.

Weyermann Melanoidin, 0.25 lb.

Chateau Special B, 0.25 lb.

Challenger hops, 0.5 oz. 20 min.

Nugget hops, 0.25 oz. 10 min.

Creeps Kent Goldings, 0.5 oz. 5 min.

Mash grains @ 152 F for 60 min.  Dunk-sparge/mash-out @ 170 F for 10 min.  60 min. boil w/light bittering + flavor/aroma hops additions as noted.

Go fishing.

Aerate wort.  Pitch proprietary blend of Nottingham, Safale S-04 and Danstar London ESB to taste.  Begin fermentation cool (60-64 F), monitoring for blow-out.

Add another proprietary mixture of bourbon, sherry and light oak chips following primary fermentation.

Serve @ 55 F in chilled snifters at the 2017 Annual Mr. Beer MUG Christmas Party.?

Can't forget the important steps!

Shrike, Bonsai & Brew and sabres032 like this

Looks awesome.

It will be very interesting to see how the oak/sherry/bourbon flavor interacts with the bitterness of the ESB, especially with your addition of more bittering with the Challenger hops.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

12 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Looks awesome.

It will be very interesting to see how the oak/sherry/bourbon flavor interacts with the bitterness of the ESB, especially with your addition of more bittering with the Challenger hops.

I'll run all this through qBrew later, but with the added DME + mash, IBUs should be fairly close to net-neutral, i.e. 50 for the ESB extract.

MrWhy likes this

it's not a barely wine, it's the N.B. Bourbon Barrel Porter I brewed Saturday, and right now it keeps blowing off the lid! I pray it settles down before I work tonight, don't want to come home to a nightmare mess after work Monday morning. the projected ABV% should be close to 10.5

bourbon barrel porter about to blow whole lid off.jpg

Bonsai & Brew and MrWhy like this

lI used two separate White Labs English yeast with this porter, the Endinburgh Ale, and a British Ale combined in a yeast starter. and why two liquid yeasts packets? Well they had best used dates around Sept. 2016 so they were a bit old, combined the two, with some DME and yeast nutrient, and now here are the results.... I think if you would have attempted using a liquid yeast on a starter, along with a dry yeast packet mixed that would have enticed the barleywine quite a bit! have you thot of maybe adding a 1/4 packet of wine yeast or champayne yeast? I used a whole packet of blanc wine yeast on a saison, and I should have used half, but conditioning time in the bottle should smooth it out .

@HoppySmile!

Is that a pet dish in the pic??? Does Hoppy have a pet????? Is this the first we know of this? If you've been posting pics of a dog, cat, or pig or goat or whatever for years, my apologies. I've missed it.

But in my world I want to know about this living animal in your home.

HoppySmile! and Bonsai & Brew like this

IBU ~ 56

SRM ~ 26

ABV ~ 10.6%

I was reading the Barleywine recipes in Beer Captured earlier and am intrigued with Ballard's Trout Tickler, a dark, hoppy 9.9% English ale.  Has anyone had it?

HoppySmile! likes this

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:26 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

IBU ~ 56

SRM ~ 26

ABV ~ 10.6%

I was reading the Barleywine recipes in Beer Captured earlier and am intrigued with Ballard's Trout Tickler, a dark, hoppy 9.9% English ale.  Has anyone had it?

is or was there any reason why you chose not to include any liquid yeast?  I read there's I believe a white labs liquid yeast strain that allows you to brew up to 25% ABV

13 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

is or was there any reason why you chose not to include any liquid yeast?  I read there's I believe a white labs liquid yeast strain that allows you to brew up to 25% ABV

Sadly, I have not used any liquid yeasts yet.  I figured if the Novacaine recipe uses Safale US-05, I could get by using dry yeast as well.  Someday I will have the skills.?

image.jpeg

MrWhy, Shrike and HoppySmile! like this

Just now, Bonsai & Brew said:

Sadly, I have not used any liquid yeasts yet.  I figured if the Novacaine recipe uses Safale US-05, I could get by using dry yeast as well.  Someday I will have the skills.?

image.jpeg

Bon, I love using liquid yeast and try so more than dry. And since I have so many of the White Labs and Wyeast packs and some are getting more outdated, I've been combining the two for more effect and seems to have worked quite well. Of course, I make sure they're compatible, Like a recent Octoberfest I brewed using WL octoberfest and Wyeast octoberfest strains and blended them together. the dates were early 2016 on both and with the yeast starter, the fermentation took off within 5 hours of pitching and blowing like a steam engine!! I have found out though, if you begin a starter no later than 48 hours before your brew time, the yeast will be a bulldozer! I've done starters a week in advance and had less results. So i'm still learning

MrWhy and Bonsai & Brew like this

and beginning a yeast starter is easy as heating a can of soup!!! I prefer to have a stir plate so I dnt have to swirl the thing from time to time, but it's not necessary. the stir plate I have was inexpensive, compared to the fancy ones out there, and it basically does about the same job, swirls the yeast

MrWhy likes this

3 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

and beginning a yeast starter is easy as heating a can of soup!!! I prefer to have a stir plate so I dnt have to swirl the thing from time to time, but it's not necessary. the stir plate I have was inexpensive, compared to the fancy ones out there, and it basically does about the same job, swirls the yeast

I work at an environmental lab -- borrowing a stir-plate would not be a problem!  Plus, the boss brews all-grain so he would be way cool with it.

HoppySmile! likes this

Sorry I never had a chance to vote. Been a busy week. My vote would have been. 

Nugget bittering

Fuggles flavor

London ESB yeast 

Light toasted French oak cubes soaked in Tullamore Dew. 

Bonsai & Brew likes this

4 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

How is this bad boy coming along???

Just over 3-weeks in the bottle, will try one Memorial Day weekend and get back to you.  Oh, and none of them have blasted holes in the drywall yet!?

MrWhy likes this

Weirdly enough...I found a can of ESB way back in my cupboard. I completely forgot about it. I am going to work it into some kind of crazy hybrid dark english imperial ipa....doing it almost partial mash style.

I'll get to you when I figure this out.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

On March 25, 2017 at 1:06 PM, kedogn said:

Cant wait to hear how it turns out :)

Well, 10 months of cellaring have left me with an interesting sipper indeed -- dark caramel aroma/flavor, thin, but creamy off-white head, complex maltiness, and a solid alcohol kick.  Any bitterness is subdued at best, probably because of the not so judicious use of caramel malts and the strong alcohol presence.  I'm enjoying one here with a take-out B-dub cheeseburger. :)

image.jpeg

kedogn, hotrod3539 and Shrike like this

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

dark caramel aroma/flavor, thin, but creamy off-white head, complex maltiness, and a solid alcohol kick.

The beer sounds good.  But you lost me at the cheeseburger...#NoThanks

Seriously though, way to go on actually allowing it to cellar for 10 months.  As Tom Petty says, "The Waiting Is The Hardest Part" :)

hotrod3539 and Bonsai & Brew like this