jpkarnes

All foam, little beer

20 posts in this topic

I brewed "Uncle Monkey's Dunkle," which is a cold brewed beer.  The last beer I opened, it foamed and foamed and left me with hardly any beer at all.  Any ideas?

MrWhy likes this

too many carb drops? accidentally used too much sugar? or gusher bug. or perhaps that one bottle got jostled and shook up?

if it was only one bottle out of all of them that gushed... likely sugar or jostling was the culprit. if every or most did it...gusher bug.

I drink my beer room temp so co2 tends to cause little gushers sometimes.  my solution is to put a large plastic salad bowl under the bottle when I open it. if it foams over it foams into the bowl and I can still drink my beer when it settles out.

I had this problem with my angry bovine. Way too much foam. So what I started doing was opening it and just letting it gas out a little. If the carb/foam started to come out the bottle, I would pour a little into the mug. As it settled, I could then pour.

But if it is gushing like an explosion....you might have a problem.

The topic reminds me of a German pop song from the early 90s "Zu viel' Schaum und zu wenig Bier" but they were complaining about the pour they got during Oktoberfest!

craft-beer-inside-3.jpg

Damn it.

Just had this happen for the first time with one of my Saison's.

Opened the bottle (plastic Mr. B 750) and that thing was like a volcano.

The beer that was left was not looking too good. ....

29 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Damn it.

Just had this happen for the first time with one of my Saison's.

Opened the bottle (plastic Mr. B 750) and that thing was like a volcano.

The beer that was left was not looking too good. ....

theres a method ive developed. Have your glass ready and pour immediately. If youre right handed and you typically pop the top with it, do it with your left. Make sure your pouring hand is ready asap. If its a 12 oz bottle, have a 24 oz mug. 

PS are you drinking at 10am??? 

AnthonyC, hotrod3539 and MrWhy like this

20 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

theres a method ive developed. Have your glass ready and pour immediately. If youre right handed and you typically pop the top with it, do it with your left. Make sure your pouring hand is ready asap. If its a 12 oz bottle, have a 24 oz mug. 

51iSd5JPfgL._SY300_.jpg

hotrod3539, DrMJG, MichaelL and 1 other like this

I do the two glass dance....use two glasses as the foam fills up the first, use the second one to pour into, once it's foamfilled, the first should have some room to pour into (at this point if you keep the bottle tilted close to pouring angle but not, you should be good to not have any mess) just go back and fourth till beer is poured.... the option to combine the glasses into one is yours and yours alone.

AnthonyC likes this

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

My motto is "if it's 10:00 AM here, it's probably 10:00 PM there."

But alas, no...this was last night. My other bottle was outstanding. I guess I just need to be prepared!

My little saison's are some tasty, strong brew. I had one big bottle and man...I was feeling it. Drinkable and high ABV......my brewing holy grail.

A side note on the A.M. beer thing-

My wife and I were stationed in Germany for almost seven years.  Beer is just part of the culture over there so you get used to seeing folks drinking it while on their lunch break.  But what I always got a kick out of was when we'd be flying somewhere.  We'd get to the airport at 6:00 a.m. and there were already Germans drinking beers while waiting for their flights.  Apparently the vacation started as soon as they got through security. :)

TonyKZ1, DrMJG and MrWhy like this

18 hours ago, DrMJG said:

The topic reminds me of a German pop song from the early 90s "Zu viel' Schaum und zu wenig Bier" but they were complaining about the pour they got during Oktoberfest!

craft-beer-inside-3.jpg

Translated that means "Too much foam and too little beer"

DrMJG and Shrike like this

6 hours ago, Shrike said:

A side note on the A.M. beer thing-

My wife and I were stationed in Germany for almost seven years.  Beer is just part of the culture over there so you get used to seeing folks drinking it while on their lunch break.  But what I always got a kick out of was when we'd be flying somewhere.  We'd get to the airport at 6:00 a.m. and there were already Germans drinking beers while waiting for their flights.  Apparently the vacation started as soon as they got through security. :)

This was my experience in Japan!

Shrike likes this

23 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

This was my experience in Japan!

What got me in Germany was the Beer vending machines at the lunch rooms.

And as a visitor,  in the served lunch were served beer of wine, but this was in the early 1980s. Not sure how it changed since.

My gushers have never been from infections that I can tell. The beer has always been drinkable if I can get it in the glass (haha).

To me it looks like excess carbonation.

2 reasons for that - add too much priming or the wort has not really finished fermenting.

I had initially been putting 4 sugar dots per 1L and 3 per 750mL and often it was too carbonated. Now I generally put 3 per 1L and 2 per 750 and 1 per 12 oz. Mostly it is OK.

I think though since most time it has been a fairly strong beer that does this (> 6%) that the wort is not finished fermenting.

Since I have been taking OG/FG readings I have been having a lot less of this and on occasion have had to leave wort for 4 weeks to get it done.  It does not take a lot of unfermented sugar to do this. 3 weeks does not always do the trick for me, especially if brewing cold with non-lager yeast

Also, if you leave it in the fridge for less than 3 days it will be more likely to gush.

And if you transport it anywhere before drinking it, it will be almost certain to gush.

I have taken bottles in the car in a small cooler with ice packs (after being in the fridge several days) and they always gush from having been shaken in the car.

There, I  have gushed enough.

TonyKZ1, hotrod3539 and MrWhy like this

4 hours ago, Cammanron said:

Translated that means "Too much foam and too little beer"

In Britain pint jars in pubs have a line near the top, below which there can be NO foam whatsoever. You buy a pint of ale, not a pint of froth or foam. :ph34r:

Shrike likes this

31 minutes ago, Brewer said:

In Britain pint jars in pubs have a line near the top, below which there can be NO foam whatsoever. You buy a pint of ale, not a pint of froth or foam. :ph34r:

Same with Germany.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:17 PM, Nickfixit said:

What got me in Germany was the Beer vending machines at the lunch rooms.

And as a visitor,  in the served lunch were served beer of wine, but this was in the early 1980s. Not sure how it changed since.

When I toured German schools with my American HS choirs, they were often served beer with their lunch at the hosting schools. As well, who could forget the famous McBier at McDonalds?

images.jpeg

AnthonyC likes this

My first time stationed in Germany was 1995-1996.  I was in the dorms on base.  We had Coke vending machines in the common room on each floor.  The bottom selection on each one was always a beer.  Sadly, it was some form of Budweiser:  Bud, Bud Light, Bud Dry, or Bud Ice.

AnthonyC likes this

I have had this happen with home brews as well.  Crazy as it may sound, I think it may have something to do with the cold beer/warm class combination.  Whenever I throw the glass in the freezer for a few minutes prior to pouring, I don't seem to have this issue.  I dunno...  maybe it's just coincidence.  🤔