Hhhmmmbeer

Scottish Ale

21 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new at this home brewing and I love it so far. Does anybody have a recipe for a partial mash Scottish ale. I have my first batch of 

partial mash cream ale conditioning right now. Love to brew a Scottish 

Ale. Have a great day. Cheers!!!

Welcome! Sounds as if you have experience in brewing. Sorry can't help you with the Scottish ale - perhaps you could post a recipe after a search.

1 hour ago, Hhhmmmbeer said:

Hello, I am new this home brewing and I love it so far. Does anybody have a recipe for a partial mash Scottish ale. I have my first batch of 

partial mash cream ale conditioning right now. Love to brew a Scottish 

Ale. Have a great day. Cheers!!!

Currently working on one now. I will report back with the recipe soon.

sabres032, dale hihn and Hhhmmmbeer like this

Here's one I made quite a while ago:

8oz Carapils steeped

Bewitched AA HME

1.5 lb amber lme

3 Tablespoons butterscotch schnapps

1/2 packet US-05 yeast

Notes say it was OK, nothing great.

Hhhmmmbeer likes this

13 hours ago, gophers6 said:

Here's one I made quite a while ago:

8oz Carapils steeped

Bewitched AA HME

1.5 lb amber lme

3 Tablespoons butterscotch schnapps

1/2 packet US-05 yeast

Notes say it was OK, nothing great.

Schnapps in a Scottish ale? :huh:

i always add a wee bit of peated malt to all of my Scottish ales! if you plan on brewing in a 2 gallon LBK, i recommend no more than 1 ounce, it can easily take over ALL of the flavor. you want just a touch of the stuff to blend and make it taste the traditional way it's suppose to.

I did a wee heavy... and did a sort of pseudo decoction ...

I took a pound of amber dme and I think 2 liters of water in a pot. brought it to a boil and while stirring constantly, reduced it to about half its volume. it did not scorch luckily and adding it to the recipe gave it a better flavor and boosted alcohol just a little.  Edinburgh ale yeast is a monster. by prepared for plenty of blow off if you use it. I fermented a little warm and used a starter for a couple days before pitching.  don't recall my grain bill atm.

I saw a video where this guy does what he calls a hillbilly decoction on his scotch ales. he heats up ceramic bbq bricks to some ridiculous heat. then puts them in a strainer and pours his wort over the bricks into the fermenter... don't know if I would do that. doesn't sound safe.  using a separate boil of dme in a reduction is the way I went because if it burnt.. .which they can do really quick if you aren't paying close attn., I wouldn't lose the main wort.  between the pseudo decoction and the Edinburgh ale yeast, it was very tasty.

Hhhmmmbeer and HoppySmile! like this

Up date on the Scottish Ale. Well at 5 weeks old she taste Young. Still new at this hobby but having fun brewing good beer. Cheer's ?

IMG_20170506_183704926.jpg

dale hihn and Shrike like this