Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David's Brew

no foam

9 posts in this topic

Hello, made american porter last week but there is no foam in my keg yet, is this normal?

Did you check the best by date on the bottom of the can? Has there been any activity at all? Do you have a large layer of sediment at the bottom of your fermenter?

no krausen (foam) ? any trace at all that you may have missed  it like bits of bubbly stuff on the side walls inside above the beer level?

if absolutely sure it did nothing... no trub.  . .  no signs of fallen krausen (foam)   get a fresh pack of ale yeast. dump it in. 

check your temperature around the lbk.  if it is below 58f your yeast likely went to sleep. (unless using lager yeast).

if it was an old can of malt, maybe your yeast was dead.

if the hme was too hot when you dumped the yeast in.. maybe you killed off the yeast.. not likely but possible.

what happens sometimes is this:  you pitch the yeast and check frantically looking for activity and see nothing. you go to bed. while sleeping the yeast go to town and make foam. by the time you check it again, the foam has already dropped out.  in this case you will see crud on the bottom of the lbk. (trub) this means everything is fine.  you just missed it.  when the krausen drops it often.. not always... leaves a trace of bubbles or foam crud on the sidewall of the lbk.

if the can of malt was old and the yeast was old... and it wasn't stored properly...  the number of live cells in the pack may have been zero to very little.  add to it if you dump it into hot wort,  you get cell die off from osmotic shock and temperature shock... and you could have dead yeast.   go to your local home brew shop. get a pack of fermentis us04 or us05.  a pack is good for 5 gallons so even if you get die off you will have plenty of cells to ferment. 

can you attach a pic of the lbk showing the floor of the lbk and sidewalls?  can you tell us what temperature the air is around the lbk?  it's really really unlikely that good yeast did nothing in a week.

oh and keep in mind that not every fermentation will be all happy bubbly foamy.  sometimes the yeast act like picky dainty eaters and barely make any krausen. the trick is no matter how slow and dainty they eat they always will poo and you should see crud on the floor of the lbk. 

hotrod3539 likes this

I suspect when the OP responds it will be that he sees trub.  Adding yeast a week later is too late, if it did not ferment (doubtful), then it will have gotten an infection.  I suspect it's fine.

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I suspect when the OP responds it will be that he sees trub.  Adding yeast a week later is too late, if it did not ferment (doubtful), then it will have gotten an infection.  I suspect it's fine.

Rick - why? If you didn't have anything to infect it at the start (proper sanitation, etc.) then how after a week does stuff that infect it get in?

Or is it not stuff getting in, but letting malt sit that long is what breeds the bacteria and if was fermenting that would not happen?

Beer ferments and produces CO2 which prevents infection by having positive outflow - hence the vents in the LBK to prevent it from exploding during fermentation.  

If you didn't put yeast in - or you put in dead yeast - you've basically created an unsealed very sugar-rich environment just ripe for infection.  The LBK is not sealed, so there is a good chance that during a week something starts growing when you're not fermenting.

We can speculate all we want - but if in fact the OP had no trub for a week (unlikely), I suspect if it looks in with a flashlight, or pours a sample, it would not be good.  Let's see if he posts back.

MrWhy likes this

I have started adding 3grams of fresh coopers yeast along with the 5grams that come with the cans as cheap insurance. Seems to work, nice Krausen. Some of the best before dates on my stash are a little in question is the main reason. Cheers!

HoppySmile! likes this

I opened one of my LBK's once and accidently an  untrimmed nose hair fell in, fortunately, the beer came out perfect! I was wondering if maybe the yeast ate it and transformed it into some unique flavor, because it did have an odd taste to it now that I remember

nose hair pale? why not? we've already seen cat butt ale... so nose hair pale ale works.