39 posts in this topic

Long Play IPA turned out very nicely!  I just followed the recipe!

I am glad because this just came off conditioning.  I am having a beer tasting party this weekend to share my home brews and I think this will go over well.

I will be serving:

Northwest Pale Ale

Klondike Gold

Long Play IPA

Surly Dog IPA

Voodoo that you do Ale

Stout

Porter

My guess is that is the order to serve them.

Amy tips on food and other party prep?

Dare I serve local craft brews at the party too in addition to my own stuff?  Good as the Mr. Beer stuff is, local craft beer is stiff competition!

IMG_2288.jpg

I just tried the long play straight up as well,,thought It was really good as is.... I probably wouldn't do a thing to it....but I do wanna try Mr beers tangerously hoppy recipe that uses the long play....sounds like a good tasting party to me.... Good luck!!...?

WP_20170317_006.jpg

MRB Tim, John K., KaijuBrew and 1 other like this

46 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

Amy tips on food and other party prep?

We have a great archive of blog posts with recipes/inspiration for good pairing foods here: http://blog.mrbeer.com/category/food-pairings/

There's also a post about ordering your beers for the tasting here (although your listed order looks good to me): http://blog.mrbeer.com/how-to-arrange-beers-for-a-tasting/

KaijuBrew likes this

Out of curiosity, what state do you live? Mainly wondering what breweries you have nearby.

And a tasting sounds fun to do, I'll have to do that once my pipeline gets a steady flow.

KaijuBrew likes this

A couple of tips -

Make sure to have some cheese and crackers as well as water. (Clean the palate.)

Now...regarding the order.....I am going to suggest rethinking the traditional way of serving the stouts/porters last. I know that is how it is usually done. But in my extensive career of flight tasting I have found the the hoppiness of the IPAs overshadows the more subtle malt flavors of the browns and stouts. Whenever I do a flight now I end with the IPAs.

I would go -

Northwest Pale

Klondike Gold.

Lead them through the smell, the hop, etc.

Serve some cheese and crackers and water during.

Then 

Porter

Voodoo

Stout

Talk them through the tasting. Serve a different cheese, cracker, and water. (for the darks, a cheese and fruit can work well.

Then end with the two IPAs

During the IPAs you can mix in a bit more variety of food if you want. Meat, a bit heavier appetizers, whatever.

That is my thought.

KaijuBrew likes this

Sounds like a good tasting party, @KaijuBrew.  I see you have an Oberon glass.  I love that beer!  This year's batch is especially tasty.  I'm in SW MI and we have 10 microbreweries within 6 or 8 miles or so of my house, plus wineries and distilleries.

aviary-image-1490737375241_zpsemdduele.j

KaijuBrew likes this

1 hour ago, C-ya said:

Sounds like a good tasting party, @KaijuBrew.  I see you have an Oberon glass.  I love that beer!  This year's batch is especially tasty.  I'm in SW MI and we have 10 microbreweries within 6 or 8 miles or so of my house, plus wineries and distilleries.

I actually got that glass at the Bell's Brewery near Kalamazoo!

21 hours ago, NwMaltHead said:

Out of curiosity, what state do you live? Mainly wondering what breweries you have nearby.

And a tasting sounds fun to do, I'll have to do that once my pipeline gets a steady flow.

I am in Central Ohio.  There are so many awesome breweries here and tap rooms to buy Growlers such as the Daily Growler and Savor Growl.  Columbus Brewing Company, Land Grant, Wolfrsidge are all in town and many others like Homestead are local to name a few!

hotrod3539 likes this

4 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

I actually got that glass at the Bell's Brewery near Kalamazoo!

I'm about 45 mins from K-zoo and surprisingly have not been there yet.  A co-worker went and said he really enjoyed it.  Sadly, I'm usually working when I'm in K-zoo, so no beer trips for me! (said in your best Soup Nazi voice)  I WILL get there, but with the plethora of local micro's and the availability of Bell's at the store, I really have no need to venture very far.

KaijuBrew likes this

22 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

I am in Central Ohio.  There are so many awesome breweries here and tap rooms to buy Growlers such as the Daily Growler and Savor Growl.  Columbus Brewing Company, Land Grant, Wolfrsidge are all in town and many others like Homestead are local to name a few!

Here is a list of local breweries from Beer Advocate:

Breweries:
hotrod3539, Shrike and NwMaltHead like this

3 hours ago, C-ya said:

I'm in SW MI and we have 10 microbreweries within 6 or 8 miles or so of my house, plus wineries and distilleries.

Yeah, keep rubbing it in about all of the microbreweries you have near you. :P

You forgot to mention the one in your backyard. ;)

KaijuBrew and C-ya like this

1 hour ago, KaijuBrew said:

Klondike Gold will be on hand!

IMG_1486.JPG

Nice, you can actually see through the 500ml bottles.

The ones I got are so dark I cant see the level of the liquid. I am inclined not to reuse them.

KaijuBrew likes this

2 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

2 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

Breweries:

Also Recently opened Brew Dog down in Grove Port, and coming soon The Loose Rail In Canal Winchester. (I am in Central Ohio as well....)

10 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Nice, you can actually see through the 500ml bottles.

The ones I got are so dark I cant see the level of the liquid. I am inclined not to reuse them.

There was a good bit of sunlight behind the bottles to allow me to see through them!

13 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

13 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

Breweries:

Kaijubrew,

Hey another brewer from Central Ohio, Go Bucks.

Several breweries in Delaware as well, Staas and Restoration Brewworks. 

Also, several brew clubs, you should consider joining one of them.  I am VP of DOH (Delaware Ohio Homebrewers).  You are welcome to look us up and come to a meeting or two to decide if you want to join.

Dawg

hotrod3539 and KaijuBrew like this

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

You don't want the bottles to be see through, the darker the better.

Yes, but...................

Then why not just make them totally black?

- I suppose because being able to see liquid in them serves some purpose, and they do not need to be totally black to be effective.

I also suppose, since other bottles are not as dark that they do not need to be THIS DARK to be effective.

I understand the general concern with light and beer storage.

I store mine in the dark in the basement so I do not personally have the same concern. 

I just find mine were too dark at the neck  to see the liquid level which was inconvenient.

The bigger part of the bottle was lighter, as the plastic looked thinner and expanded compared with the neck.

It looks like the manufacturing process for the 500ml is different from the 750/1000 ml bottles.

I only got a batch of these because they were cheaper at the time than the 750's which I like..

I am not buying the 500's again.

Arrrr.  And thar you  be.

Them's me words.

Har har,

Oh wait... it isn't "talk like a pirate" day yet :lol: