Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
NwMaltHead

Too Much Trub

So i have a 5 gallon batch split into 2 LBKs. There is a lot of trub, i already have it tilted back at about a 20º angle but it's still enough to reach the spigot.. I'm thinking of siphoning them into a single bucket and letting it sit 24hrs to let it settle. Just wanted thoughts and second opinions. 

7 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

if it were me I'd probably just leave it and let cold crashing compact it down.... But that's just me .... ? good luck.....?

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, see if it compacts enough to work.

3 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

second that....cold crashing and batch priming is the way to go...

2 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

I will third that... cold crash three days then transfer and batch prime..... It does make things easier....

What is y'alls process for transferring from LBK to X?

7 hours ago, MrWhy said:

You need to connect tubing to the spigot of the LBK and make sure it is long enough to go all the way to the bottom of whatever vessel you are transferring into.  It could be a slimline container, bottling bucket or even another LBK, it just must have a spigot on it as well.  Get your priming solution ready (about 8oz to 12oz of sugar water) and pour about 1/5th of it into that vessel.  Then begin transferring the wort in and make sure there is no aeration occurring, absolutely no splashing and absolutely no foaming.  As the LBK that you are transferring from empties, on occasion add about another 1/5th of the priming solution and continue this until the LBK is down to where it is just about to transfer trub.  Then stop the transfer and very gently stir the container of collected wort to make sure the priming solution is completely mixed into the wort.  I always let this settle for 15 to 30 minutes while I sanitize my bottles and get set up to begin bottling.  When you bottle make sure to leave the last of the beer as a reward for your effort.  I always put this in a cup and then stick it in the fridge for a bit to settle most of the trub before drinking.  But you could drink it as is, you digestion might thank you.  I also always mark the last couple of bottles to be consumed first as they will contain the most trub. 

yup I just grabbed some food grade tubing from home depot,,, if you have your spigot handy bring it to see which size fits....i just put my cold crashed batch on my work table then put my bottling vessel on a stool below it... I put all my sugar water in at once then let gravity do the work....haven't had a problem yet .... Good luck....

9 hours ago, MrWhy said:

I use a sanitized section of tubing on the spigot of fermenter (if new style spigot on LBK without barb fitting I will use my bottle filler minus the spring loaded part as a connector between tube and spigot) long enough to reach bottom and lay in bottom of bottling vessel whether it's a bucket, slimline, ported big mouth bubbler.... for me, I set fermenter on counter, bottling vessel on small stand on floor. I will snap a picture for you when I bottle this weekend.

I am using the 2Gal MrBeer LBK. I put it in the fridge yesterday to cold crash and then bottled today, but I realized that bottling at the colder temperature may change the reading on my hydrometer. Should I have checked the hydrometer before putting in the fridge or should I have let the LBK rise to room temperature before bottling? 

2 minutes ago, Hoag's Brew said:

Should I have checked the hydrometer before putting in the fridge or should I have let the LBK rise to room temperature before bottling? 

It doesn't really matter since fermentation stops when it gets that cold, and fermentation should be finished by the time you cold crash anyway. Temp correction will change the results, but not by an earth shattering amount. For example, you might be off by a few decimal points on your ABV, but temp correction wouldn't get you from 5% to 10%. I usually just let the sample sit out while I bottle, and by the time I'm done it's usually close enough to 65.

Under no circumstances should you let your cold crashed beer warm to room temperature.  In effect, you've now wasted all that cold crashing.  The trub will loosen back up, and CO2 will leave solution.  

So the answer to your question is neither.  You can check it after it's cold crashed just fine, and you should not let it warm up.  However, the whole purpose of checking it is to see if fermentation is done, so you really SHOULD check it before you cold crash.  ;)

Simply correct your hydrometer reading, there are calculators all over the web, you tell it which calibration you have (60 or 68) and it corrects.

A 1.010 reading at 60 will be 1.009 at 37.  https://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

3 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

the whole purpose of checking it is to see if fermentation is done,

Good point, I hereby clarify that I was considering checking for the purpose of ABV determination, and I was referring to letting the sample warm up, not the whole fermenter.

3 hours ago, Hoag's Brew said:

I am using the 2Gal MrBeer LBK. I put it in the fridge yesterday to cold crash and then bottled today, but I realized that bottling at the colder temperature may change the reading on my hydrometer. Should I have checked the hydrometer before putting in the fridge or should I have let the LBK rise to room temperature before bottling? 

For best results, cold crash for 3 days. (i am surprised @RickBeer didnt mention it.....) 3 days gives plenty time for trub to fully compact and for stuff to settle out of beer to the trub in the bottom resulting in a clearer beer.... for more information on cold crashing read here: 

18 hours ago, MrWhy said:

I have a length of food grade tubing that's long enough to go from the LBK spigot to the bottom of my bottling container (slimline) with a partial coil on the bottom. That way the flow into the bottling container creates a swirling that does an admirable job of mixing the beer and priming sugar without any aeration. I haven't had any issues with this process. As always YMMV. 

18 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I use whatever I can find in the shed, 3/8" rubber fuel line works but only if you like " rubbery" flavored beer like me! besides that, u may want to use something else

Have you calculated how much the residual fuel in the rubber hose adds to your abv?

1 hour ago, gophers6 said:

Have you calculated how much the residual fuel in the rubber hose adds to your abv?

No! I haven't!!! I wish I would have thought of that! Maybe its where the " cidery" taste can be coming from too? And all this time I was thinking my ABV was around 5-7 % and with that fuel adjunct added it could have been around at least 7-10 %!!!

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:44 AM, zorak1066 said:

if you use fuel with ethanol in it... it might add a little kick. . . and the benzene would lend a delightfully benzene-y capriciousness!

this might work since i'm a non smoker, I don't have to worry about blowing myself up drinking a beer