Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bach's Brews

Pale Ale Ideas

28 posts in this topic

Anyone make any good Pale Ales lately?  I have the makings for a base 5 gallon Pale Ale beer, but thought I'd ask you guys if you've made any stellar ones as of late! 

Thanks for the ideas!

Cheers!

sabres032 and Bonsai & Brew like this

I brewed one a end of February with 2 row, caramel 40, CaraPils as my grain bill, citra and experimental stonefruit hops with wlp001 yeast. I think it turned out good. Color turned out about a 7 or 8 and the flavors are apricot, peach and hints of plums. The abv came in about a 5%ish. 

204 Pale Ale

My favorite, most drinkable pale ale I've done was simply the Mr. B Wit Your Whistle partial mash recipe, but I left out the coriander and orange zest. It turned into a very mild (in a good way) pale that picked up a little bit of belgian flavor from the yeast.

I loved it.

I am putting it on my brew list again, with the addition of either booster or honey and 1 more LME to get the ABV up into the 6 range.

I basically did a small hopped up northwest pale ale. turned out pretty mild, but I didn't want to turn it into a wacky ipa, which isn't hard to do. and did use the wyeast northwest pale ale yeast, and quite frankly really didn't notice a huge change in flavor profile like I was hoping. next time i'll save a few  bucks and just use under the lid yeast

dale hihn likes this

This is what I'm thinking about doing:

6lbs Pale LME

1lb Light DME

8oz Caramel 40

8oz Carapils

1oz Cascade @ 60

1oz Australian Galaxy @ 10

1oz Cascade @ flameout

US-05 yeast.

Any tweaks I should make? Different hop schedule.  I have these Australian hops I bought from NB and want to use them! :-D

Stroomer420, John K. and sabres032 like this

On 4/11/2017 at 0:07 PM, Bach's Brews said:

6lbs Pale LME

1lb Light DME

8oz Caramel 40

8oz Carapils

1oz Cascade @ 60

1oz Cascade @ flameout

US-05 yeast.

Any tweaks I should make? Different hop schedule.  I have these Australian hops I bought from NB and want to use them! :-D

Na, looks good to me. Brew it up and see if it turns out like you envisioned. 

On 4/11/2017 at 0:07 PM, Bach's Brews said:

6lbs Pale LME

1lb Light DME

8oz Caramel 40

8oz Carapils

1oz Cascade @ 60

1oz Cascade @ flameout

US-05 yeast.

Just put it into Beersmith, assumed 5 gallon batch.

I changed the Galaxy and 60 minute Cascade around.  The Alpha Acid level of the Galaxy would make for a better bittering hop.

1oz Galaxy @ 60min

1oz Cascade @ 10min

1oz Cascade @ flameout

OG             1.059

IBU              40.6

SRM             6.4

All good numbers for a pale ale

sabres032 and Bach's Brews like this

5 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

I changed the Galaxy and 60 minute Cascade around.  The Alpha Acid level of the Galaxy would make for a better bittering hop.

1oz Galaxy @ 60min

1oz Cascade @ 10min

1oz Cascade @ flameout

OG             1.059

IBU              40.6

SRM             6.4

Should still give great flavors and aromas. Instead of tropical fruit I can see grapefruit flavors. I'd drink it. 

Bach's Brews likes this

3 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

1oz Galaxy @ 60min

1oz Cascade @ 10min

1oz Cascade @ flameout

OG             1.059

IBU              40.6

SRM             6.4

The reason I did the Australian Galaxy at the end was due to NB recommendation that it would be a good late addition or flameout hop.  Soooo, not sure where to go from here. Haha!

I feel that galaxy is such a good hop that its almost wasted as a bittering. If you were doing a first wort hop or something then id be ok. Cascade is good too, but if you're looking at see what a hop is like, i wouldn't use it as a bittering addition. These are just my thoughts. I chase taste not IBU  

Bach's Brews likes this

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I feel that galaxy is such a good hop that its almost wasted as a bittering. If you were doing a first wort hop or something then id be ok. Cascade is good too, but if you're looking at see what a hop is like, i wouldn't use it as a bittering addition. These are just my thoughts. I chase taste not IBU  

I feel the same way. I love that hop strain, I just wish we could source it. Like Citra, it has been a pain in the ass to find in bulk wholesale. Pretty sure the whole harvest is gone now. No one has it in stock. :(

Creeps McLane and hotrod3539 like this

23 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

I feel the same way. I love that hop strain, I just wish we could source it. Like Citra, it has been a pain in the ass to find in bulk wholesale. Pretty sure the whole harvest is gone now. No one has it in stock. :(

NB bought all the citra up for their Swig of Sunbeams Kits... they use 7oz..... per kit, 1 @15 min, 4 at flame out and 2 dry hop...

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Yikes! Expensive, too! We are looking into getting some Citra CryoHops from YCH. More on that later possibly...

Yes, $23 for a pound of hops is a little pricey but when it's the only place I can find Citra I'll pay it.

John K. and MRB Josh R like this

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, Creeps McLane said:

So it's settled.  I will keep the current hop schedule with the Galaxy as a late addition.  I'm excited to give this a try.  Not sure when I'll be able to brew this.  Probably next weekend hopefully!

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, Creeps McLane said:

I feel that galaxy is such a good hop that its almost wasted as a bittering

Agreed, and Galaxy is so much more expensive and often hard to find.

I primarily use Columbus almost exclusively for bittering.   What I have learned from spending time at big boy breweries is that it almost doesn't matter what you use for bittering, as long as your flavor/aroma hops are there for what you want to end with.  Case in point: using  HopShots or other liquid hop extracts, you don't know what the hops are in those that were used and my gut tells me its a mixture anyway.  Pretty much all you know is that a certain amount of it (like with HopShots, the full syringe) gets you roughly 10 IBUs per 5 gallons of 1.050 wort.  After learning this, I have pretty much went to solid Columbus for bittering, unless I am doing an "All ______" hop beer.  Saves the trouble of trying to figure it out, as well as it allows me to buy Columbus in bigger bulks to save even more $$.  :) 

Shrike likes this

Here's what I'm thinking going off of what's in my cupboard:

2lbs Golden Light DME 

1lb Crystal 20L

.5oz Carapils

.5oz citra @40

.5oz citra @15

American Ale Yeast 

OG - 1.063

IBU - 47

ABV - 6.2%

SRM - 11