Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
KaijuBrew

Bottle Malfunction - what to do?

I have a batch of Novocaine bottled at the end of December into PET Oxygen barrier bottles.  Almost all the bottles in the batch are firm but this particular bottle is soft.  If I squeeze the bottle, I hear a hiss of air coming out through the cap.

At this point, what should I do?  Put a new cap on it?  Transfer it to a different bottle?  Put some more carbo drops in too?  Refrigerate and drink flat?  Toss?

If you toss it, you will need to then cancel your Userid here on the forum.  We don't allow that kind of behavior.  

1) Drink it flat.  Refrigerate, or not, because there likely is no CO2 to be reabsorbed.  

2) Drop in carb drops, put on a NEW cap, let it sit at least 2 weeks in 70 or higher.  

Do NOT transfer to a new bottle, you will aerate it.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

If you toss it, you will need to then cancel your Userid here on the forum.  We don't allow that kind of behavior.  

1) Drink it flat.  Refrigerate, or not, because there likely is no CO2 to be reabsorbed.  

2) Drop in carb drops, put on a NEW cap, let it sit at least 2 weeks in 70 or higher.  

Do NOT transfer to a new bottle, you will aerate it.

Rick - I thought that "toss?" Comment might get your attention!  :-)

rick is spot on.  try to recarb with a new cap and a little more sugar.. or just drink it flat.  my last batch came out a little undercarbed due to the fact I used less sugar. I drank it anyway. it still was delicious despite the lack of co2.

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 0:44 AM, zorak1066 said:

Userid - pronounced oo-sehr'-idd 

Ancient Sumerian name for a demonic force that is accredited with ruining beer. It is believed that merely saying this name aloud in the presence of an LBK can cause frogs and pustules to form on any batch of beer in moments.

I stumbled upon this problem with my first batch last year. Nowhere could I find a warning from @RickBeer. ?. @HoppySmile!, the good news is, the talking frog told me to forget the yeast and pitch a bottle of Stoli to eliminate the pustules. Half a bottle made the beer immediately drinkable (granted a little malty), but there's no waiting. Frog has been my brew swilling assistant every day since. Last night, Frog told me he's tired of the session beers and I better pitch the whole bottle on my next brew day or he will bring back the pustules.