Mr.Beer Community
Marlymarl

Adding fruit flavor

I believe you wanna do it when you bottle,,,, so if your cold crashing and batch priming I'd add it when you batch prime ,,put in your sugar water and fruit flavoring then transfer your wort and it should all mix up nicely ... Good luck!;.

What is it you are adding?  Be specific.

If you add fruit (with sugar) and bottling sugar to your bottles they will likely explode.

If it's just flavoring, then you should be adding it at bottling, which is neither before or after cold crashing since you should not be adding it to the LBK at all.

40 minutes ago, Marlymarl said:

Im bottle priming with a raspberry flavor... So how much should I add to each 740 ml bottle?... And if I can add flavoring to bottle why can't I add to the fermenter?

Because then you would have to stir it up in the fermenter, which would stir the sediment. And if you let it settle, most of the flavor would also settle and get lost in the sediment.

Add the flavor to taste. It takes some trial and error because not all flavorings are the same.

I'm going to wild <CENSORED> guess that he is going to use cooking extract, the stuff that you use when making stuff like cookies, cakes, etc.  If that is the case, from what I've been told, it doesn't have sugar but is VERY concentrated.  If the bottle of the extract comes with an eye dropper, I *personally* wouldn't use more than one drop per 740ml, but do some bottles with two drops (mark each bottle as to how many drops each has).  You don't want to overpower the beer.  You want to enhance the flavor subtlety

I bottled some wheat beers with fruit flavored extract from an LHBS for this purpose.  I used 55 ml of extract for 8,162 ml (23 twelve oz bottles) of beer, or approximately 5 ml/740 ml bottle.  If you have a kids medicine dropper or dispensing cup, that should work fine.  My notes on a batch of Cream Ale shows that I used 2 ml/355 ml (12 oz), so the ratio there is about 4 ml/740 ml.  That should be a pretty mild taste for a strong flavor like raspberry if you like fruit flavored beers.  If you like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat or something similar, you should like this amount.  I used the same amount of apricot flavoring and my notes say to use more, so keep in mind the strength/body of the flavor extract you are adding.

ETA:  I guess I should say that I added the flavored extract to the slimline at bottling with my priming sugar.

Edited by C-ya
Added comment