Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Bonsai & Brew

The Great Mexican-Belgian Beer War of 2017

Recommended Posts

@Bonsai & Brew @MRB Tim

 

Tonight it happens.

 

The first tasting of La Noche Fuerte.

 

Approximately 7:00 PM, my time.

 

I will do a full on review. We are talking pics. Interviews with the brewer.  Food pairing recommendations.......

 

Of course, depending on how it turns out it might just be a video of me sobbing an muttering "why did I use so much cinnamon."

 

Stay tuned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MrWhy said:

@Bonsai & Brew @MRB Tim

 

Tonight it happens.

 

The first tasting of La Noche Fuerte.

 

Approximately 7:00 PM, my time.

 

I will do a full on review. We are talking pics. Interviews with the brewer.  Food pairing recommendations.......

 

Of course, depending on how it turns out it might just be a video of me sobbing an muttering "why did I use so much cinnamon."

 

Stay tuned.

 

OK Why, I've gathered the family around the iPad and we are anxiously awaiting your review.B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was bottled on May 20, 2017. It is my version of the Mexi-Belgi quad. I have never been able to decide if I am calling it La Noche Obscura or La Noche Fuerte. Whatever. In my mind I just consider it La Noche.

 

I used the Bewitched Amber, 2 pale, 2 smooth, 1 booster, and a whole bunch of steeping/mashing grains including munich, crystal 60, some chocolate and some black malt.  I did 2 ancho chiles, some cinnamon stick, and a liberal dosing of vanilla/bourbon abstract. In addition I went with El Dorado hops.

 

I am going to say it. I am trying my best not be be biased. This is a pretty great beer.

 

The el dorado hops work amazingly well with the cinnamon and chile. The whole thing blends in better than I would have ever imagined. There is nothing that is too overpowering. I was worried about the cinnamon, but it has faded and left a nice subtle flavoring. The chile is providing a good counterbalance to the sweetness of the malt and crystal.

 

I was a bit worried that I fermented this too cool, or cool enough that the flavor of the yeast would not shine through. And in all honestly, that might be the case. I am not picking up as much of the "belgian-y" flavor as I would normally like, but in this case I think it is a good thing. There are enough flavors happening that adding one more might be too much. I would need someone else to taste it and give me honest feedback as to whether this is belgian enough to be belgian.

 

All that being said, I love this beer.

--

edit- one other thing, I am not getting a good fuzzy head on this. But a lot of my beers seem to not have a strong fuzzy head. I might need to start adding carapils and what not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

This was bottled on May 20, 2017. It is my version of the Mexi-Belgi quad. I have never been able to decide if I am calling it La Noche Obscura or La Noche Fuerte. Whatever. In my mind I just consider it La Noche.

 

I used the Bewitched Amber, 2 pale, 2 smooth, 1 booster, and a whole bunch of steeping/mashing grains including munich, crystal 60, some chocolate and some black malt.  I did 2 ancho chiles, some cinnamon stick, and a liberal dosing of vanilla/bourbon abstract. In addition I went with El Dorado hops.

 

I am going to say it. I am trying my best not be be biased. This is a pretty great beer.

 

The el dorado hops work amazingly well with the cinnamon and chile. The whole thing blends in better than I would have ever imagined. There is nothing that is too overpowering. I was worried about the cinnamon, but it has faded and left a nice subtle flavoring. The chile is providing a good counterbalance to the sweetness of the malt and crystal.

 

I was a bit worried that I fermented this too cool, or cool enough that the flavor of the yeast would not shine through. And in all honestly, that might be the case. I am not picking up as much of the "belgian-y" flavor as I would normally like, but in this case I think it is a good thing. There are enough flavors happening that adding one more might be too much. I would need someone else to taste it and give me honest feedback as to whether this is belgian enough to be belgian.

 

All that being said, I love this beer.

--

edit- one other thing, I am not getting a good fuzzy head on this. But a lot of my beers seem to not have a strong fuzzy head. I might need to start adding carapils and what not.

 

Congratulations on La Noche Obscura!  Mind you, I'm not conceding yet, but your description has me thinking that this might be tough to beat.  Good work man!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all my brewing compadres.

 

A day later, and I am still very happy with this cervesa. The ONLY thing I feel that is keeping it from being a hands down cervesa de mucho hombre is that I did not nail the carbonation and the head. Other than that, I feel like the flavor is spot on. 

 

Soy mucho feliz.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2017 at 9:06 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Who started this crazy thread anyway?

 

Amigo, brewing history will not forget el hombre de mucho muchacho who began this. And when the Beer Styling Guide puts the Mexigian on it's list, we will raise a glass with a hearty salud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

 

The butterfly has flapped it's wings and the hurricane is forming. We dropped a little pebble and now there are ripples that will be waves.

 

This is not competition. It is sign that we are onto something. 30 years ago someone said "hey. why don't we use more hops." People said "you're loco. No one wants a hoppy bitter beer." But this little brewer persisted and now The Great Brewer forbid you go to a bar and there aren't 12 IPAs on tap....at least for now. Because one day, maybe not in this lifetime, but in one of my upcoming ones, there will be twelve Mexigians on tap and the IPA will be a dusty little handle rarely pulled.

 

This will be worldwide.

 

I am going to stroll into a pub in Manchester and pull up a stool. The bartender (or whatever they are called in Manchester) is going to look me in the eye and say "Oi mate. Fancy a pint?" (Or again, however they ask you if you want a beer in Manchester." And I am going to look him right back in they eye and say "you got any mexigians?" And without missing a beat he will say "Oi. Of course we do. Where do you think you are? Berlin?" (Or some other snarky british reply).  He walk over to the taps and pour me a Resado Aged Quad with agave and ancho chile.  And I will say "Gracias."


At that point I don't know what he is going to do because I am not really sure how much spanish they know off hand in Manchester. I take these things for granted living in Southern California.

 

BUT.....the point is that this little war we are having is going to shake the brewing industry to it's core. We are inventing an entire new category fusing two worlds, two cultures, into one beautiful beer. This is the dawn of a new era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

BUT.....the point is that this little war we are having is going to shake the brewing industry to it's core. We are inventing an entire new category fusing two worlds, two cultures, into one beautiful beer. This is the dawn of a new era.

 

I failed to consider the Butterfly Effect when I brewed El Tipo, but there is no turning back now... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great thread! I think we're going to make a blog out of this, if you don't mind, @Bonsai & Brew. Maybe even some sort of contest (we'll see)? In any case, after tasting @MRB Tim's awesome Sonoran Saison (seriously really good), I was inspired to make something, too.

My Mexi-Belgo inspired beer will be a Trappist-style Belgian Tripel brewed with tamarind and agave nectar. I will share the recipe in the next few days when I'm done. This will be an all-grain batch, but can be easily converted into PM, full extract or even using Mr. Beer HME products. The hardest part for some of you guys will be getting the Trappist Tripel liquid yeast I'm using, but the Safbrew T-58 should also work just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

This is a great thread! I think we're going to make a blog out of this, if you don't mind, @Bonsai & Brew. Maybe even some sort of contest (we'll see)? In any case, after tasting @MRB Tim's awesome Sonoran Saison (seriously really good), I was inspired to make something, too.

My Mexi-Belgo inspired beer will be a Trappist-style Belgian Tripel brewed with tamarind and agave nectar. I will share the recipe in the next few days when I'm done. This will be an all-grain batch, but can be easily converted into PM, full extract or even using Mr. Beer HME products. The hardest part for some of you guys will be getting the Trappist Tripel liquid yeast I'm using, but the Safbrew T-58 should also work just fine.

+1 on the use of tamarind! I'm excited to hear more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

This is a great thread! I think we're going to make a blog out of this, if you don't mind, @Bonsai & Brew. Maybe even some sort of contest (we'll see)? In any case, after tasting @MRB Tim's awesome Sonoran Saison (seriously really good), I was inspired to make something, too.

My Mexi-Belgo inspired beer will be a Trappist-style Belgian Tripel brewed with tamarind and agave nectar. I will share the recipe in the next few days when I'm done. This will be an all-grain batch, but can be easily converted into PM, full extract or even using Mr. Beer HME products. The hardest part for some of you guys will be getting the Trappist Tripel liquid yeast I'm using, but the Safbrew T-58 should also work just fine.

 

An unexpected turn of events as @MRB Josh R enters the fray!  Awesome, Josh!  Looks like we'll need to recruit a new beer judge though.;)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×