Bonsai & Brew

beer wars
The Great Mexican-Belgian Beer War of 2017

88 posts in this topic

So, I finally have a moment to post tasting notes from my saison

Appearance: Clear, golden-amber with a creamy, diminishing head

Aroma: Slight biscuity malts. Mostly pepper. Lots of pepper, with hop aroma there beneath it but easy to miss. Same goes for saison funk.

Taste: Well-balanced malts get overwhelmed pretty quickly by a bell-peppery freshness, which wears off for a little lingering hop bitterness, but pretty mild. Heat builds as you drink. Doesn't taste very saison-ish at all, but very good overall!

Sonora Saison.jpg

4 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

So, I finally have a moment to post tasting notes from my saison

Appearance: Clear, golden-amber with a creamy, diminishing head

Aroma: Slight biscuity malts. Mostly pepper. Lots of pepper, with hop aroma there beneath it but easy to miss. Same goes for saison funk.

Taste: Well-balanced malts get overwhelmed pretty quickly by a bell-peppery freshness, which wears off for a little lingering hop bitterness, but pretty mild. Heat builds as you drink. Doesn't taste very saison-ish at all, but very good overall!

Sonora Saison.jpg

Looks pretty saisony to me -- did you have @MRB Josh R score it?

MRB Tim likes this

For Tim's beer, if entered in a BJCP competition, it would most likely go into category 30. Spiced Beer - 30A. Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer and not into the saison category.

While the saison character is there (dry, peppery, faint barnyard notes), it is a bit muted by the chilies and spices. Tim was going for a Belgo-Mexi saison, but ended up in India, in my opinion...lol. It tastes almost curry-like, with a very subtle, but perceptible warmth as you drink it. Stylistically, I'd give it high scores on technical merit alone. It would lose a couple of points for a lack of balance (the chilies and spices are pretty forward instead of in the background), but this would only be me judging it according to the style guidelines. To me personally, I really like the forward chili and spice flavors. While I probably would have chosen a cream ale or a wheat beer for something like this, I do like the dryness the saison yeast imparts. It's a really tasty beer, especially if you're a fan of chili beers like I am. I wish it had a bit more heat to it, though. But it's still my favorite beer that Tim has made yet.

Here's a tentative Hibiscus Wit recipe I'm kicking around:

1X Canadian Blonde

1X Golden LME

4 oz Pilsen

4 oz White Wheat

2 oz Belgian Aromatic

1 tsp coriander and zest of 1 small orange X 5 min boil

4-6 oz dried hibiscus petals, steeped for 10 minutes and added 1 week before kegging. (Maybe in a secondary? I usually don't bother)

White Labs 400 Belgian Wit

Shrike, Bonsai & Brew and MrWhy like this

First off, you guys are crushing these beers. I mean, this is a transcendent moment and I know that we are changing the world with these beers.

While La Noche Fuerte is an outstanding beer and worthy addition, I cannot in good conscience just put one beer into the mix and sit back sipping it for the rest of the year. I am no one hit wonder.

SO.....here we go.....

Una Otra Noche Fuerte

Base:

2 cans Czech Pilsner

Grains:

1 bag Munich

1 bag Crystal 60

a sprinkling of Chocolate

Additives:

1 cup sugar (type TBD)

1 or 2 Ancho Chiles

1 Vanilla Bean

Anejo Tequila soaked Oak Chips

Hop:

Maybe Columbus, maybe Chinook....still thinking about this...

Yeast:

T-58

For this one, I am trying to take some of the sweetness out of the "quads" I've been doing. I want it to be dark and strong, but not AS malty. I'm looking to get the color from the grains, the 60 and the sprinkling of chocolate. And I'm looking to dry it out a bit with the cup (or 1.5) of sugar.

BUT DON'T CHANGE THE CHANNEL 'CUZ I'M NOT DONE YET! 

Una Sonrisa Brilliante

Base: 

2 Cervesa Azteca

Grains:

1 pack pilsner 1 pack munich, 1 pack red wheat

Additives:

1 pale LME

1 cup organic agave

Hops:

Bitter: Simcoe

Flavor/Aroma: Mosaic, El Dorado, Sorachi Ace, Amarillo, German Mandarina

Yeast: T-58

This is my take on a heavily hopped Mexigian Imperial IPA. I'm going heavy with citrus style hops.

MRB Tim and Bonsai & Brew like this

Posted (edited)

Chapter dos.

Belgium seeks an alliance with France, with their pretentious-sounding hops and fancy yeasts.  Mexico, undeterred, unleashes the full force of its Cerveza and its own formidable hops to counter the surprise offensive.  The Belga-Franco forces march on -- "Your Ancho chilies will do you no good today Ami!  Prepare the way of the Grisette!" their battle cry.

Who will be victorious in this epic battle for brewing dominance?

Will the Donkey With No Name rise up once again with a mighty bray?

Will the French-speaking Belgian coal miners from Hainut Province regret ever having brewed their Grisette?

How will we ever know when this war is actually over?

----------------------

Petit frere de Saison (speaking of pretentious...)

Aztec Cerveza, 1.87 lb.

Rahr 6-row, 0.5 lb.

Weyermann Vienna, 0.25 lb.

Rahr White wheat, 0.25 lb.

Flaked Rye, 0.25 lb.

El Dorado, 0.25 oz., 15 min.

Nelson Sauvin*, 0.25 oz., 10 min.

Nelson Sauvin*, 0.25 oz., @ f/o

Strisselspalt, 0.5 oz, Day 7 dry-hop

Mangrove Jack's French Saison M29 yeast

60 min. mash @ 150 F

30 min. boil

OG 1.047

IBU 29

SRM 3

*Nelson Sauvin hops were developed in New Zealand.  Any references to them having anything whatsoever to do with France are for creative literary purposes only.

And finally, this is your fault @MrWhy.ūüćĽ

Edited by Bonsai & Brew
Noting the irony of moniker and being a smartass.
MRB Josh R, Shrike, MRB Tim and 1 other like this

TASTING NOTES FROM THE SONORA SAISON

--

The other night I was sitting at the edge of my bed. I was strumming my guitar and singing an outlaw love song. I was thinking about what she was doing. And when she'd be coming back.

I heard small knock on the door. My heart slowed. I went and tentatively opened it. There she was.

My donkey.

She'd come back.

And tied around her neck was a little bag. And in the little bag was a bottle.

And tied around the bottle was a little note and all it said was "Sonora Saison."

I gave her a hug. She brayed. 

Todos estan bueno.

Here are my tasting notes for this beer:

Excellent pale gold color. The nose is pleasantly light. I am not familiar with the hop, but it has a mild air and evokes a summertime beer.

The first sip brings a sense of belgian-y pepper, and then there is the spicy presence of the habanero. It is is a dominant taste, but not overpowering, if that makes any sense. It is not subtle, but it does not overtake the beer. Behind that there is a light, refreshing, subtle citrus presence.

I like this beer a lot. It is definitely a complicated brew. There are elements that make it highly drinkable....the pleasant nose, that light citrus in the background, but the complexity brought by the habanero prevents it from being a beer that is guzzled down. It turns into a light, refreshing, sipping beer.

As I continue to sip it and it warms up from refrigirator temps,  I am wondering if there is more than just habanero? The habanero flavor is there, but I am getting different heat. Is there ancho there too? I am also, as it warms, digging the aroma more and more. I love the light scent, very mild and pleasant (in a good way) and then as you sip you just get this pepper and spice and heat and a great habanero taste, and then it ends with again this light, sense.

I know this is a "saison" but it reminds me much more of almost a re-imagined belgian wit. 

If I had another one (or two!) I would experiment with adding a lime, corona style, or even an orange slice blue moon style.

TonyKZ1, Shrike, hotrod3539 and 4 others like this

FINAL RECIPES

Ordering Ingredients today.

Here is the final recipe listing for my next two entries.

Una Otra Noche Fuerte

HME - 2 Pilsner

LME - 1 pale 

Grains - Victory, Crystal 60, Red Wheat

Additive - 1 cup sugar (type TBD), Mesquite Flower, oak chips soaked in Anejo Tequila, 2 Ancho Chile

Yeast - T-58

Hopped with Warrior Hops

Una Sonrisa Brilliante

HME - Azteca

LME - 2 pale

Grains - 2 packs 2 row, 1 pack Crystal 15, 1 pack Red Wheat

Additive - 1 cup sugar (type TBD)

Yeast - T-58

Hopps - bitter with Nugget, late additions of El Dorado, Mosaic, Cascade,  dry hopped with Falcon.

KaijuBrew and Bonsai & Brew like this

On 7/16/2017 at 10:58 PM, MrWhy said:

TASTING NOTES FROM THE SONORA SAISON

--

The other night I was sitting at the edge of my bed. I was strumming my guitar and singing an outlaw love song. I was thinking about what she was doing. And when she'd be coming back.

I heard small knock on the door. My heart slowed. I went and tentatively opened it. There she was.

My donkey.

She'd come back.

And tied around her neck was a little bag. And in the little bag was a bottle.

And tied around the bottle was a little note and all it said was "Sonora Saison."

I gave her a hug. She brayed. 

Todos estan bueno.

Here are my tasting notes for this beer:

Excellent pale gold color. The nose is pleasantly light. I am not familiar with the hop, but it has a mild air and evokes a summertime beer.

The first sip brings a sense of belgian-y pepper, and then there is the spicy presence of the habanero. It is is a dominant taste, but not overpowering, if that makes any sense. It is not subtle, but it does not overtake the beer. Behind that there is a light, refreshing, subtle citrus presence.

I like this beer a lot. It is definitely a complicated brew. There are elements that make it highly drinkable....the pleasant nose, that light citrus in the background, but the complexity brought by the habanero prevents it from being a beer that is guzzled down. It turns into a light, refreshing, sipping beer.

As I continue to sip it and it warms up from refrigirator temps,  I am wondering if there is more than just habanero? The habanero flavor is there, but I am getting different heat. Is there ancho there too? I am also, as it warms, digging the aroma more and more. I love the light scent, very mild and pleasant (in a good way) and then as you sip you just get this pepper and spice and heat and a great habanero taste, and then it ends with again this light, sense.

I know this is a "saison" but it reminds me much more of almost a re-imagined belgian wit. 

If I had another one (or two!) I would experiment with adding a lime, corona style, or even an orange slice blue moon style.

Love the stories, @MrWhy!

MrWhy likes this

Big announcement.

I'll wait for it to quiet down. 

Thank you.

Drum roll please..........

I have decided on what tequila I will be using for my Otra Noche Fuerte.

Gran Centenario Anejo.

I wish could say this came after extensive taste testings, but really I looked up some "well regarded" anejos (whatever that means) within my price range and this was the only one that had in the market.

That being said, sometimes you just trust the universe so I purchased and just finished sipping some on ice. I love the flavor and think it and the oak chips will add a lot to this beer.

I am still deciding whether I really want to go with an ancho chile here.....starting to think less might be better (a dios mio what is happening to me??????).

Just let the oak, tequila, and mesquite flower carry the beer..

hotrod3539 and Bonsai & Brew like this