Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bikermedic108

Good Reviews of My Last Run

23 posts in this topic

Well after playing around with the American Lager Refill and adding the Booster and Dark Brewmax with Columbus Hops, I took some to My Aunt's Yesterday for Easter and My Cousin's and Brothers liked it, My One Cousin even compared it to one of the IPA beers he brought and said mine actually tasted better. The Only thing that I noticed was not much head with the pours, They sat in the fridge for a few days before I took them and this batch I used the Sugar Cube's (wanted to try and see if the is a difference between them and the Drops that come with the kit). Anyway they still said it had great Taste and they were happy with it, One even said I should sell it ( I know I can't), I had a few more so I gave them to my Cop buddy across the Street and he texted my last night telling me how good my beer tasted and I gave him my last 2 today and he said same thing great taste just carbonation seemed to be on the lower side. This Batch Fermented for 4 weeks cause I was in the Hospital and I started all these batched before I ended up with Open heart surgery. Temps stayed Around 70 entire time while conditioning, The Only thing I can think of like mentioned before in past post was they did not Let it sit in the Fridge for a few days so the Carbonation did not rebuild in the bottle.

I turn 43 this Week and Already Sampled the API IPA one I made minus the Nugget hops, I loved it so I am Keeping that one all to myself as my birthday beer, The Oktoberfest will not even bee touched until end of Summer, I have an Long IPA one I am thinking about doing soon but I need to get my bottles back from my buddy but by the time I am done with my IPA beer I will have have enough for this next Run. What I liked also about these Runs I cold Crashed them LBK's before bottling and I have noticed the difference from the first time I made beer so I know I will be using that process every time. thank you also for all the helpful tips in recent Post also.

creamz13, John K., Shrike and 3 others like this

Congrats on surviving open heart surgery! Patience is the key to brewing, but that's taking it to the extreme!

Not uncommon for IPA's to lack head, the hop oils inhibit head retention. Keep up the good work and welcome to the obsession!

bikermedic108 and hotrod3539 like this

1 hour ago, scouterbill said:

Congrats on surviving open heart surgery! Patience is the key to brewing, but that's taking it to the extreme!

Not uncommon for IPA's to lack head, the hop oils inhibit head retention. Keep up the good work and welcome to the obsession!

Thank you , this week I started my rehab so will be going there 3 times a week to get me ready to go back to the Street as a Medic (maybe). Beer even tatse better and different after I quit smoking go figure hahahahaha.

jasbo, gophers6, hotrod3539 and 1 other like this

12 minutes ago, bikermedic108 said:

Thank you , this week I started my rehab so will be going there 3 times a week to get me ready to go back to the Street as a Medic (maybe). Beer even tatse better and different after I quit smoking go figure hahahahaha.

You got your taste buds growing back/ healing... that can be both good and bad..... stuff you hated you might like now and stuff you liked... well... maybe not so much now.... I quit smoking 6 almost 7 years ago.... and have not looked back. 

bikermedic108 likes this

Good for you - on all accounts, the successful beer, surgery and quitting smoking. I like my beers more malty, and condition usually longer than a month, and this contributes to better head retention. Perhaps others can confirm the following: It's been my observation (anecdotal evidence only) that slightly cooler fermentation gives a beer more subtle flavors, better body and head too.

GoBucks64 and bikermedic108 like this

Congrats on the beer success and getting through surgery.

I will put a couple bottles from 1st batch in fridge tonight for drinking on Sat.

Anxious is an understatement!

bikermedic108 likes this

On 4/17/2017 at 6:38 PM, bikermedic108 said:

... Beer even tatse better and different after I quit smoking go figure hahahahaha.

Hope you can keep the smokes in the rear view mirror. I quit almost 10 years ago (after 40 years) It was possibly the hardest thing I ever did, but definitely the smartest. Oh, and happy birthday. That would be tomorrow, right?

Jim

bikermedic108 likes this

10 minutes ago, jasbo said:

Hope you can keep the smokes in the rear view mirror. I quit almost 10 years ago (after 40 years) It was possibly the hardest thing I ever did, but definitely the smartest. Oh, and happy birthday. That would be tomorrow, right?

Jim

I quit about 13 years ago and don't miss it a bit.  Plus, all that money I'm saving by not buying smokes is available for brewing beer and taking vacations

bikermedic108 likes this

Man after a week with my beer in the fridge I have to say Dam I think I made a killer beer. The color was just right, the taste was superb and the head held for a while. I know I never made the original API IPA recipe with the nugget hops. I do have to say with the Columbus hops in my mind it tasted great and was a great ending to my birthday day 7 740ml bottles later at 2 pint glasses each I am feeling great.

Shrike and hotrod3539 like this

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:07 AM, bikermedic108 said:

Well my birthday beer is now in the fridge til Friday. My October fest looks lonely now so may tomorrow I will start my long play IPA for something to kill time

the long play IPA is very good... Having some today myself..

MiniYoda and bikermedic108 like this

Dam I forgot I had a bottle from last run of my API IPA that for some reason I ran out to fill it completely think it was what was left and some trub the only area that was not beer was the triangle part of the bottle so that was all air. I popped it open tonight almost 2 weeks int he fridge and Dam it tasted great. just thought I would share

hotrod3539, KaijuBrew and dale hihn like this