MrWhy

5 Gallon Batches - Last time I ask, I promise!

41 posts in this topic

Hello brewers!

Okay - I want to move into some 5 gallon extract batches. (Listen Mr. Beer - I love you and I'm not leaving you. It's just there are some 5 gallon kits that have clones, etc. I really want to try. I will still be #mrbeer4ever).

I am getting a 5 gallon brew pot and am going to split the batch between two LBKs.

Here is my question -

How do you get the wort from the 5 gallon pot into the LBKs. It seems like it is an awful lot to tilt and pour.

I know this has been answered many times, and I am pretty sure I have asked it before. - but maybe we can get an aggregate of the techniques here and I promise this is the last time I ask!

(The brew pot I get is not going to be one of those expensive ones with the nozzle thing. It is just going to be a big stainless steel pot.)

MiniYoda likes this

22 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

Auto-siphon, AKA racking cane. 

Okay - 1 vote for racking cane!

Two stupid questions ...... is it easy to use? Once it starts siphoning....how do you stop it? (Since I would be splitting it between two LBKs.

I do it the easy way.  1 quart measuring cup, 2 cup measuring cup, and a strainer.  Scoop with 2 cup measuring cup, pour into strainer on top of 1 quart measuring cup.  When full to line, pour into LBK #1.  Now do LBK #2.  Then #2 again, then #1.  

Simple.

MrWhy likes this

49 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Okay - 1 vote for racking cane!

Two stupid questions ...... is it easy to use? Once it starts siphoning....how do you stop it? (Since I would be splitting it between two LBKs.

It's uses gravity, so it's quite easy. In order to stop it, you simply reverse gravity :P In all seriousness, raising the LBK higher than the brew pot will stop the flow. 

MrWhy likes this

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I do it the easy way.  1 quart measuring cup, 2 cup measuring cup, and a strainer.  Scoop with 2 cup measuring cup, pour into strainer on top of 1 quart measuring cup.  When full to line, pour into LBK #1.  Now do LBK #2.  Then #2 again, then #1.  

Simple.

Thanks @RickBeer -

Quick question - How come you strain?

MiniYoda likes this

1 hour ago, Big Sarge said:

It's uses gravity, so it's quite easy. In order to stop it, you simply reverse gravity :P In all seriousness, raising the LBK higher than the brew pot will stop the flow. 

Gravity.

Who knew!

Big Sarge likes this

Also, auto siphons usually come with a tiny little plastic piece that fits over your hose. You pinch it to stop the flow, open to begin again.  Why cant i find a damn pic of these things!?!?!?

Big Sarge, MrWhy and RickBeer like this

I do what rick does...

sanitize pyrex measuring cup (for me 4 cup size). sanitize a mesh strainer and plop it on top of fermenter.  transfer cooled wort via strainer which also aerates wort. when the pot gets low enough to easily dump by hand...  pour into strainer.

strainer sifts out hop crud and some break material.

MrWhy likes this

Thank you everyone for your assistance with my upcoming move to some five gallon extract recipes. Still not sure between an auto-siphon or cups. I like the concept of the auto-siphon, but can I really trust gravity?

The cups seem like a lot of pouring.......can my arms hold up to the strain?

I said I would never go five gallon.......

Now I'm wondering ......brew in a bag?

Sorry, butt that's not me.  I was the stand in for Matthew McConaughey (right front).  That naked person has been rumored to be one of the other community members, but I can't say who... Hop,,,  Hop...

Big Sarge and jasbo like this

2 hours ago, MrWhy said:

Now I'm wondering ......brew in a bag?

Brew in a bag is great for 5 gallon all grain or as a carefully done hop catcher but will not help with splitting into 2 LBKs since the bag is a large reusable strainer sack. If you want to split into 2 LBKs either go with the auto siphon or the measuring cup recommendations, but honestly my recommendation would be to spend a little bit and get a fermenter large enough (6.5 or 7 gallon) to hold the full 5 gallon batch.

1 hour ago, hotrod3539 said:

Brew in a bag is great for 5 gallon all grain or as a carefully done hop catcher but will not help with splitting into 2 LBKs since the bag is a large reusable strainer sack. If you want to split into 2 LBKs either go with the auto siphon or the measuring cup recommendations, but honestly my recommendation would be to spend a little bit and get a fermenter large enough (6.5 or 7 gallon) to hold the full 5 gallon batch.

Yeah - I was thinking more of my progression as a brewer......once I was convinced all I would ever do is 2.5 gallon extract batches. Now here I am bumping up into the 5 gallon extract, steeping grain route and already wondering if I've got a 5 gallon pot, maybe I can get into the brew in a bag thing......I just read a tutorial on partial mash/DME stuff using a BIAB......

I have four problems with the 6.5/7 gallon fermenters:

1. While you all are clearly people of supreme ability, I am much more confident carrying around one LBK at a time than lugging a 5 gallons worth of wort at a time. Don't get me wrong....I am actually quite strong. But still.....

2. Bottling - I prefer to have the option of splitting the bottling time if needed. My schedule can be quite chaotic and I love the idea of, if need be, bottling one LBK one day and then bottling the next.

3. Temp control - My fridges are totally lame and have this weird protrusion inside. I am not confident at all I can get a 6 gallon bucket in there and I really don't want to do any of those temp bags.

4. I already have the LBKs.......

No worries @MrWhy! I am a big fan of you do what works best for you! Just thought I would toss my half a penny in (I would have said 2 cents but I ain't got that kind a money...lol)

MrWhy likes this