doughboysigep

Sugar for carbonating different sized bottles

13 posts in this topic

I have some 12 oz, 16 oz, and 20 pages bottles.  What are the sugar quantities for carbonating each?  

12 oz. = 1 tsp

16 oz = 2 tsp

20 oz = ???

google priming sugar calculator.

convert each bottle size to a gallon fraction  ie 12 oz is about .10 gallon

plug in the style of beer.

the one on brewers friend gives you multiple sugar types for carbonating and the weights to use per bottle.

9 hours ago, doughboysigep said:

I have some 12 oz, 16 oz, and 20 pages bottles.  What are the sugar quantities for carbonating each?  

12 oz. = 1 tsp

16 oz = 2 tsp

20 oz = ???

Those online calculators are great.  I referenced them for several batches until I realized what carbonation level I preferred.  For me it's:
12 oz. = 1/2 tsp (one Domino's Dot)
16-17 oz. = 1 tsp (two Domino's Dots)
This is unless I'm doing a lighter-style beer (like one based on the CAL HME) in which case I like just a bit more carbonation so I add about another 1/8 tsp per 12 oz. bottle and 1/4 tsp per 16-17 oz.

hotrod3539 likes this

I do 48 grams to a cup of water for my batch priming... That's where I like it... I do 38 for my stouts...

so by these calculators and what others have said, the rates are ~1/2 what the Mr Beer directions state.  Am I reading/calculating correctly?  Are the Mr Beer rates overly inflated for a reason - I've gone by those rates and haven't had any issues (if anything, my ciders seem "flat" - no head)?  What about ciders - there is no option on NB for them?

I recently came into a bunch of 16.9 ounce bottles. I noticed that 16 is 1tsb. Am I ok to add 1 1/4tsb? Or will that create a bottle bomb? Thank you

I don'the know what a tsb is, but you should be using teaspoons, tsp, not tablespoons, tbl or tbsp.

While adding a quarter teaspoon will not create a bottle bomb, it is not needed.  In fact, if you look at the Mr. Beer priming chart, both sizes have 1 teaspoon recommended.

Edit - love my phone's spell correction...

fathead5f likes this

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I don'the know what a tsb is, but you should be using teaspoons, top, not tablespoons, tbl or tbsp.

While adding a quarter teaspoon will not create a bottle bomb, it is not needed.  In fact, if you look at the Mr. Beer priming chart, both sizes have 1 teaspoon recommended.

You made a mistake in the exact same abbreviation for which you're trying to correct the dude.

stonecoldirony.jpg

fathead5f and RickBeer like this

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I don'the know what a tsb is, but you should be using teaspoons, tsp, not tablespoons, tbl or tbsp.

Edit - love my phone's spell correction...

Phone auto correct. Figured we were at a point in society where we could understand that phones suck at corrections. Guess not. But yes it's teaspoon or tsp. In any event the site has 16 ounces at 1tsp but the next size up is 20 ounces. The bottles I'm using are 16.9  So figured i'd have to compensate for that .9. But didn't want to create a bottle bomb. So figured I'd ask. 

That chart isn't proportional. For instance 1/2 liter is 1 tsp but 1 liter is 2 1/2 tsp.

FWIW I usually use 1 1/4 tsp per half liter.

MRB Tim likes this