MiniYoda

The not-so-famous CAL experiment

60 posts in this topic

All 80 bottles are in the conditioning cabinet.  Not counting the trub bottles.  I think I wore the <CUSS WORD> out of my bottle crimper.  And considering I just spent slightly more than 14 hours washing/sanitizing/filling four LBKs, I'm a wee bit on the tired side of life.  Time for a bourbon and cola.

Sad that I have four empty LBKs, but such as it is now that the brewery is about to close (still have one Beauty and the Yeast, and one 5.5 gallon Chug-a-Lugger fermenting for two more weeks).

Creeps McLane and hotrod3539 like this

17 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Cannot use refractometer once fermentation starts...

I'm going to have to research your comment.  Not challenging it, just need to research it. 

I've only used a refractometer.  I take a Brix OG and FG measurement, and using online calculators, I figure out what is the approximate ABV.  There's adjustments on the FG due to alcohol, and I'm aware of that, but I'm going with "approximate" ABV, not exact.

Creeps McLane likes this

still kinda sorta confused by your comment..........

I take a refractometer reading before I pitch the yeast, and another one 3 week later just before I bottle.  Not sure why you said "once fermentation starts". 

11 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

still kinda sorta confused by your comment..........

I take a refractometer reading before I pitch the yeast, and another one 3 week later just before I bottle.  Not sure why you said "once fermentation starts". 

Reading before pitching, yes. As soon as you pitch your yeast alcohol can now be present thus making your refractometer useless without an online calculator, which youre using thus making the way youre doing things perfectly legit. Keep on keeping on.

Shrike, MiniYoda and hotrod3539 like this

not doubting you @Creeps McLane  Just wondering how this conversation started.  Never suggested that I took a reading during fermentation.  my readings have always been before pitching yeast and just before bottling.  just wondering why @rickbeer thought otherwise

36 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

not doubting you @Creeps McLane  Just wondering how this conversation started.  Never suggested that I took a reading during fermentation.  my readings have always been before pitching yeast and just before bottling.  just wondering why @rickbeer thought otherwise

Because ideally you would use your refractometer before pitching and hydrometer before bottling. Rick was prob assuming you were not aware you need a converter during and after fermentation. Im assuming.  He wants to make sure people know things

RickBeer likes this

I am doing same as miniYoda. I can't deal with hydrometers even though I have 2.

I figure if you also know the target ABV you can back into the FG BRIX using the online calcs to see when you are done. ((not 100% accurate but).

Recently I found the Baltic Porter was not done fermenting after 23 weeks. I had issues with that before making over carbonated bottle and S-05 is supposed to be OK at low 60s. Now, 3 days later after warming to ~70 deg and shaking it a bit, it is closer to target endpoint but I will give it a bit more since is still low.

2 Other brews are also making progress but not there yet. Not all of them like the 60s. Maybe I need to play Beatles records at them or something.

Does yeast care what genre of music you play at it?

Of course with summer coming on the AC is making the basement cold. SO I will have to brew lagers now.

MiniYoda likes this

5 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

2 Other brews are also making progress but not there yet. Not all of them like the 60s. Maybe I need to play Beatles records at them or something.

Does yeast care what genre of music you play at it?

I find that Lager yeast like long, slow music like 40's/50 big band/crooner music  As for Ale, it varies between late 60's classic rock to 80's MTV music.  Haven't yet found yeast that likes disco.

hotrod3539 likes this

1 hour ago, MiniYoda said:

I find that Lager yeast like long, slow music like 40's/50 big band/crooner music  As for Ale, it varies between late 60's classic rock to 80's MTV music.  Haven't yet found yeast that likes disco.

Probably California Common yeast would like that.

MiniYoda likes this

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, RickBeer said:

Cannot use refractometer once fermentation starts...

@RickBeer, Doveryai, no proveryai

:D