zorak1066

mashing ahead of brew day?

13 posts in this topic

any all grainers ever do your mash , sparge.. and store the extracted malt in the fridge in a sealed container over night because you couldn't get to brewing it for a day?

if you put a layer of vodka on top and seal it in a couple sanitized gallon milk jugs would it keep okay overnight?

thanks

No vodka needed.  After sparging, bring the temp to 170, or higher, for 15 minutes.  Then let it cool, cover, and refrigerate.

Hitting 170 will stop any further conversion,  and it will also pasteurize it.  Next day, bring it to a boil.

Or, plan better...

7 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

any all grainers ever do your mash , sparge.. and store the extracted malt in the fridge in a sealed container over night because you couldn't get to brewing it for a day?

if you put a layer of vodka on top and seal it in a couple sanitized gallon milk jugs would it keep okay overnight?

thanks

Zorak,

I have heard of this being done but have never done it myself.  Mostly as a way to do a Kettle sour. 

Links to some threads on other forums.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=336561

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=292392

Lots of opinions.

Dawg

haven't done it yet.. but since i'll be doing a decoction mash I'm adding more time to the mash process and don't know if I'm all that keen for a 5 hr brew day once everything is lumped in.   step mash..decoct.. and a longer boil time for Pilsen.  i'll just suck it up and do it all the same day once I shake this bronchitis.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, zorak1066 said:

don't know if I'm all that keen for a 5 hr brew day once everything is lumped in

Only 5 hours?  Man, I would love that!  Most of my brew days from lighting the fire on the HLT to finished cleaning are ~9+ hours. 

hotrod3539 likes this

On 4/20/2017 at 5:29 AM, RickBeer said:

No vodka needed.  After sparging, bring the temp to 170, or higher, for 15 minutes.  Then let it cool, cover, and refrigerate.

Hitting 170 will stop any further conversion,  and it will also pasteurize it.  Next day, bring it to a boil.

Or, plan better...

What about making bird seed from spent grains. How does one keep the grain from souring if he brews very late nights with no time for drying in the oven?

22 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

What about making bird seed from spent grains. How does one keep the grain from souring if he brews very late nights with no time for drying in the oven?

Freeze until drying maybe? 

Just now, Big Sarge said:

Or just wait until the next batch where you do have time. 

I have a one year old and a three year old. I have no energy, no privacy, and most of all, no time. 

But seriously being a parent is great... 👍🏼 

Big Sarge and NwMaltHead like this

6 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I have a one year old and a three year old. I have no energy, no privacy, and most of all, no time. 

It gets better! I have two teenagers and barely ever see them! 😂

Creeps McLane and Shrike like this

On 5/5/2017 at 1:31 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Mine are 18 months and 2 and a half so i feel the pain in the time department. Very difficult to work 45 hour weeks plus be a dad and brew beer 

Creeps McLane likes this