Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrWhy

I just had a revelation - please don't judge me.

19 posts in this topic

Okay -

My least favorite part of the brewing thing has been de-labeling bottles. I hate it. Soaking them...sometimes the sticker comes off easily. Most time I am left with a paper sludgy that I have to scrub and my scrub brush ends up with paper sludgy and my wife gets mad when she goes to clean something........

The whole thing. I hate it.

I just finished soaking a Ninksai Tricerahops IPA bottle. Did the label fall off all nice and pretty? No. That damn label laughed at my silly attempts to soak it off.

I was so frustrated that I went to the trash to through it away.....but then it hit me.

Beer is on the INSIDE of the bottle. Not the outside. If I clean the inside as well as I usually do.....does it really matter if there is a label on the outside?

This stunned me. I cannot think of any reason how NOT de-labeling a beer bottle will impact anything accept my joy and happiness, and that will be a positive.

I have just improved my brewing experience by 87%.

Now this might have been common knowledge to you all, and if it was shame on all of you for not posting about it because you could have saved me a lot of heartache. But for those new brewers, or maybe some not so new, who are living with this delusion that you HAVE to take the label off, I am here offering you freedom.

I am giver.

I think it shouldn't matter, but not sure if bacteria can grow on the paper if it goes through several stages of encountering moisture.  But that's an easy fix, just soak them in a wash before you wash/sanitize the inside..

I've had varying success with removing labels.  Sam Adams seasons are easy, while their year-round beers (Boston Lager, etc) have stronger glue.  Dos Equis Amber is VERY easy to peel off.  Right now I'm drinking Guinness Blonde, and it seems to be fairly easy to get the paper part off, leaving just some glue 

I peel the labels mostly because I feel it would look strange for my friends to drink a beer with company's label on it.  I can peal the label off most beers with just a simple scrubbing pad and soaking them, but some get to the point that it's not worth it.  As for "company's label", there's not much I can do with Sam Adams, who signs his name on the glass of every bottle.

MrWhy likes this

I just clean the bottles and leave them near the sink.  Once there are five or six of them the labels magically remove themselves.  It's like a year-round Festivus miracle! :)

Actually, my wife for some reason enjoys taking the labels off of the bottles.  Yes, I'm a lucky man.

C-Note 1959, John K. and hotrod3539 like this

27 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Some people need to read the posts about how to do things before reinventing the wheel...  Oxiclean Free soak in hot water, Sam Adams bottles.

Your sam adams bottles must be different than what we get here. I did a 12er one time and vowed never to waste my time on sam adams bottles ever again. 

For me its new belgium and new glarus. Hot water soak for 10 minutes and theyre all floating on top of the water. 

Ps red hook labels suck too

MrWhy and MiniYoda like this

2 hours ago, MrWhy said:

Beer is on the INSIDE of the bottle. Not the outside. ...does it really matter if there is a label on the outside?

That'd be my view. My next batch is going to be split between a couple empty sixers of Total Domination IPA and a Kona Brewing variety 12-pack. The number "2" in Sharpie on the cap will tell me what beer it is.

Jim

1 hour ago, scouterbill said:

Pacifico labels practically fall off if you look at them crosswise!

But then you'd have to drink pacifico..

C-Note 1959 likes this

31 minutes ago, NwMaltHead said:

But then you'd have to drink pacifico.

NW: I don't know what part of the Northwest you're from. But if you.spend a couple weeks in Mazatlan some time, you might begin to appreciate how refreshing a cool, clear Mexican brew can be.

Jim

dale hihn likes this

2 hours ago, NwMaltHead said:

But then you'd have to drink pacifico..

Wife's part Hispanic. Pacifico, Caguama,  and Modelo Negro were regular attendees at her families dinners. Pacifico is pretty decent unlike that skunk beer in the clear bottle. I like to have Pacifico around when she makes salsa. It helps to put out the fire!! :P

dale hihn and C-Note 1959 like this

It's a good beer for a cerveza. I'm from Oregon; @jasbo I don't mind a cerveza or lager on a warm day. Just crackin a joke.

ive stopped bothering to remove the labels on my 1 liter plastic carbonated water bottles. I don't label my beers.  at most i'll use a marker on the lid with a letter code.

MrWhy, Big Sarge and NwMaltHead like this

I boil my glass bottles after i scrub the inside. Some labels come off easily, the ones that don't, I just leave on. I abbreviate the name on the lid. It'd be cool to label them someday though.

5 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

ive stopped bothering to remove the labels on my 1 liter plastic carbonated water bottles. I don't label my beers.  at most i'll use a marker on the lid with a letter code.

Same here. The labels will fall off in due time. 

for some its a matter of pride... for others like me unnecessary extra work.  plus I am not the most artistic person.  autistic maybe...ok well definitely.

6 hours ago, NwMaltHead said:

I boil my glass bottles after i scrub the inside. Some labels come off easily, the ones that don't, I just leave on. I abbreviate the name on the lid. It'd be cool to label them someday though.

I guess I don't understand the purpose of this.

Some people boil the bottles to sanitize them, although using One Step / Easy Clean / StarSan works fine.  If you are boiling to sanitize them, but you leave the labels on, then the water is being contaminated with ink and glue from the labels, whether they come off or not.  If you are boiling them to get the labels off, that's a lot of wasted energy and effort, a simple hot soak in Oxiclean works great.

47 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I guess I don't understand the purpose of this.

Some people boil the bottles to sanitize them, although using One Step / Easy Clean / StarSan works fine.  If you are boiling to sanitize them, but you leave the labels on, then the water is being contaminated with ink and glue from the labels, whether they come off or not.  If you are boiling them to get the labels off, that's a lot of wasted energy and effort, a simple hot soak in Oxiclean works great.

I sanitize after I boil. I've been getting some nasty bottles lately so I throw in the extra step for peace of mind. Plus boiling water is cheaper than an oxiclean soak.

17 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Some people need to read the posts about how to do things before reinventing the wheel...  Oxiclean Free soak in hot water, Sam Adams bottles.

Not sure about Sammy bottles, but Oxiclean for sure!  Simple and easy!  The labels dang near jump off the bottles, often as 1 solid piece. :)