Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NwMaltHead

Norwegian Farmhouse Ale

13 posts in this topic

So first off, thank you @moots for bringing this to attention. I just happened to have had a book on hand at the time with a section all about Norwegian Farmhouse Ale and Voss' Kveik Yeast.

I came up with a simple 2gal recipe that I'm fermenting now. I am very excited; the yeast is supposed to impart some funky notes and citrus fruit flavors which should marry well with the juniper berries. 

-1lb light DME 

-2lb dark bohemian floor malt

-1oz Hallertau hops (14g for 40; 14g for last 15mins)

-14g juniper berries (for 10mins) 

-Voss Kveik Yeast 

OG: 1.044

Any thoughts or comments? 

I will update in a week.

Stroomer420, MrWhy and moots like this

Just took a gravity reading, 4th day of fermenting. Temp was 80ºf first 24 hours and dropped to a steady 75-76ºf so far.

OG: 1.044

SG: 1.010

Tasted hydrometer sample. Nice malt flavor, hints of Orange and juniper accompanied by a banana and biscuity like funk. I think I'm really going to like this one!

Shrike, moots and MrWhy like this

I might bottle this one tonight; Kveik finishes really fast. I guess most people bottle with in a week. I'm taking a FG reading this evening, if it's 1.010 I'm bottling it up!

moots likes this

Wound up bottling 5 12oz bottles non carbonated, just to try it the old traditional way. Got 14 bottles (12oz-22 oz) carbonating. Has light, balanced flavor. Good malt profile with a kick of juniper and hints of orange blossom and "funk" from the kveik. Excited to sample it carbonated!! 

Final update: Spurgeon Farmhouse Ale turned out great. Smooth, light and refreshing. Malt, juniper and esters are all well balanced and mild. Definitely will make again. 

dale hihn likes this

my looking forward to farm house ale leaked out of the mini keg and into the bottom of the fridge. I did however get a few glasses, and thought about licking the remaining up bcuz it was so good, but the bottom of my fridge doesn't look so good nowadays

Took some of these down to the local Taphouse and got moderate reviews. Flavor was great but carbonation was too low for the style. It's perfect in my opinion because most Nordic beers are naturally carbed and only to a very low level. But yes, great success for batch #3 (since resuming from 3years ago, #5 total) and first recipe on my own.