Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith

15 posts in this topic

Ok, first time brewer here. I wish I would have found the forum sooner. I just have a couple of questions.

1. When I was opening my can of extract my can opener tore the label near the rim. You can see where this is going right? As I was pouring my extract into my hot water, some pieces of the label fell into the mix. Being the germaphobe that I am, I fished out the pieces of the label and reheated the wort just until it was boiling. I was very careful not to let it scorch. I then finished the brewing process per the instructions.  Did I ruin my wort by bringing it up to a boil to sanitize it?

2. I had set up a cooler in my basement and I was rotating jars of hot water every 12 hours or so for the first couple of days to keep the temperature between 68-76 degrees. After reading in the forum that cooler was better, I pulled my LBK from the cooler and put it on a shelf where the temp runs about 64-66 degrees. Was this a good move?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!

MrWhy and MRB Tim like this

1. Probably not. The worst you may have done was darken it a bit. In the future, remove the label first.

2. Yes, a very good move. It's always best to stay at the low end of the temperature scale for your yeast.

Welcome to the community! :D

hotrod3539 and Chuck Smith like this

I soak the cans in HOT water so the labels peel off really easy.  This also helps (in my mind) the extract to pour out of the can faster and easier.  I had the same thing happen to me the first time I brewed and was able to fish out the paper that fell in. 

Welcome to the forums! 

Cheers!

Welcome Chuck! I will echo the above... remove label and stick to wort temp around 64-66*F (if you don't have a stick on thermometer on your LBK I recommend picking one up with your next MR. Beer order.) 

The cooler trick also works well with ice bottles if your wort is running on the warm side...

Again, welcome to the community and your new obsession.....oops I mean hobby....

Chuck Smith likes this

Welcome to the community!  You are most definitely not the first person to get label in the wort.  Since the time I did that I always take the label off of the can after having it sit in hot water.  It comes off quite easily.

Chuck Smith likes this

Hello Chuck!!!!!

Welcome to the greatest hobby in a world...a hobby that connects us to the deepest parts of our humanity and unites us a people. And even better, it is a hobby that gives us beer!

A few batches back, I made a beer I called my Big Brown Belgian. I was getting ready to pitch the yeast, and low and behold that freakin packet of yeast jumped out of my hand right into the stupid wort. I fished it out with my sanitized tongs, sprinkled what I could of the yeast into the wort, and walked away. 

That beer has been bottled and one day I will try it.

Things happen.

But more often than not we'll end up with beer.

Chuck Smith likes this

Thanks everyone. I am learning so much from reading the forums.  I am looking forward to brewing more in the future. Now I need to cultivate a crop of patience so I can endure the waiting while my beer ferments and bottle conditions. 

5 minutes ago, Chuck Smith said:

Thanks everyone. I am learning so much from reading the forums.  I am looking forward to brewing more in the future. Now I need to cultivate a crop of patience so I can endure the waiting while my beer ferments and bottle conditions. 

I know what you mean.  I started coming here about seven or eight months ago and the effect on my beers has been quite noticeable.  Instead of making "meh" beer I'm now making beers I'm proud to share with friends and family.

2 hours ago, Chuck Smith said:

Patience is a good virtue. 

Even better is on your next order buying three more LBKs and ramping up production!

Bonsai & Brew and Chuck Smith like this

Extension from my first post...the temperature in the cooler I have my LBK in is holding at 62 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this too cold for fermentation? Should I extend the time in the LBK? Thanks for the help!

62 is good.  If that is the ambient air temp of the cooler then the wort will be warmer.  You are good, I set the ambient of my fermentation chamber at 58 to 60.

Shrike likes this