Mr.Beer Community
Bittrblue

Small cans from kit

A buddy of mine got a kit for x-mas,  but had no plans for using it so he gave it to me.  I needed a third keg anyway.  However,  this kit came with two smaller cans.  One was cowboy, and the other something else.  There was booster in the kit,  but mice got into it over the winter. 

Since I have not seen the smaller cans before,  I am not sure if the booster made up for the size and if I can still make a normal batch.  They are about the size of a can of vegetables.  Could find nothing online about Mr beer smaller size cans. Any advice would be appreciated. Wanted to make it this afternoon. 

That is a mistake.  

No, the yeast likely won't be good after 4 years (see the manufacturing date code on them).   If they were refrigerated, maybe.  In a hot environment, no way.  And, if the mouse nibbled on them...

The cans underwent the maillard reaction and darkened considerably.  And, in that process, some of the malt won't convert with yeast, so you'll end up with a dark, too sweet beer.  But, suit yourself.  

That beer will be very oxidized and will taste very stale when made (like wet cardboard). The yeast will not work at all. It is a living organism and will die within a couple years past its manufacturing date (even less if stored in the heat). I recommend tossing the whole refill.