KaijuBrew

Mr Beer 2G Fermenter and Sanitizing - Whole or half no-rinse cleanser packet?

5 posts in this topic

So I am new to the 2G fermenter and just did my first batch after doing 14 batches in 3 LBKs.  I have to say I love the 2G fermenter - it feels like a step up in quality and it is easier to pour in the wort and clean due to the big opening up top.

One question where instructions on the web site vary is sanitizing the 2G fermenter.

On the instruction video for the 2G it says to sanitize use *half* a packet of no-rinse cleanser and rinse for *10* minutes.

but

On the printed card and the PDF on the website it says use a *whole* packet and rinse for *2* minutes.

Which is correct?  Most recipes only give you one no-rinse packet and you need half for sanitizing the fermenter and half for sanitizing bottling at the end.  I guess you just need to order extra rinse packets if you use the 2G so you have some for bottling?

Maybe both the half and whole instructions are both correct?  A whole packet gives a higher concentration of cleanser so you only need to rinse for 2 minutes.  The half pack is more dilute so you need 10 minutes of rinsing?  And maybe in testing Mr. Beer learned that people generally did not go the full 10 minutes so they switched to a different instruction that allowed 2 minute rinsing?  Just guessing here!

Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

There is no difference in size between the 2G and the LBK, so use 1/2 package with 1 gallon of water.  Mr. Beer No-rinse should be used for 10 minutes.  2 is probably fine, just use 10 and know it is fine.  To me, those inconsistencies are maddening

Shrike and KaijuBrew like this

1 minute ago, RickBeer said:

There is no difference in size between the 2G and the LBK, so use 1/2 package with 1 gallon of water.  Mr. Beer No-rinse should be used for 10 minutes.  2 is probably fine, just use 10 and know it is fine.  

Okay - maybe the full packet instruction carried over from 6G?  Which is larger.

When you rinse for 10 minutes, are you actively rinsing with the the measuring cup for the full 10 or rinsing for 2 minutes or so and then letting it sit for 10 minutes before going on to the next step?

To me it's not ok because it's 1/2 the strength.  Fill all with a gallon, then all are the same.  Just because a container is bigger doesn't mean it needs more liquid.

Mix well, then ensure you got every surface covered, the let it sit.  So some of it h as no liquid on it, which is just fine.  If you want to slosh it around after a few minutes, help yourself.  The only time should be 10 minutes for the final soaking after it's all mixed.

KaijuBrew likes this

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

There is no difference in size between the 2G and the LBK, so use 1/2 package with 1 gallon of water.  Mr. Beer No-rinse should be used for 10 minutes.  2 is probably fine, just use 10 and know it is fine.  To me, those inconsistencies are maddening

giphy.gif

KaijuBrew and hotrod3539 like this