Silverado22

Powerful Patriots Ale

10 posts in this topic

Getting ready to start brewing the Powerful Patriots Ale. Going to be adding 1 pkg. of booster. Also thinking of adding about 4 oz. of Clover honey.  Any of you friendly brewers have any advice or comment about these additions?

I don't know if you've fermented with honey before but it will give the beer a "dry" taste.  So if that's what you're going for, it sounds good to me.

Thanks Shrike. I believe I read that in another post somewhere here. This is going to be my second batch ever, so thought about experimenting a little but don't want to ruin the batch. Thats why I'm looking for comment / advice.

dale hihn likes this

Just my opinion, but don't get carried away with adding too much to the established recipe. Simple makes a good beer. 

Stroomer420 likes this

Skip the booster, add the honey. Condition for a min of 8 weeks. Dont expect a honey taste what so ever. Just a suggestion, you do what you want

Stroomer420 likes this

I've made this recipe as-is, and it came out great.  If you want to experiment, might be a good one to try, but adding honey to it might not be good.  I agree with those above me, that honey isn't a great idea.  Take the time to learn how to make the recipes as-is, then advance to partial mash and learn about the different grains, yeasts, etc.  I tried a peanut-butter porter as my third beer and it came out all wrong.  I learned why, and I'm ready to make one ready for Halloween

I like adding a cup of honey to most of my recipe's because I like a dry crisp beer and honey does just that...the PPA is good as is but a cup of honey couldn't hurt,,, just making the abv even higher so definitely let this one sit a while...i also like using safale -05 for the yeast on this one as well ,,,,good luck!.. ?

Creeps McLane likes this

3 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

I like adding a cup of honey to most of my recipe's because I like a dry crisp beer and honey does just that...the PPA is good as is but a cup of honey couldn't hurt,,, just making the abv even higher so definitely let this one sit a while...i also like using safale -05 for the yeast on this one as well ,,,,good luck!.. ?

Yes to every word of this! Took the words right out of my thumbs

Stroomer420 likes this