KaijuBrew

First Batch - Temperature Controlled Brewing!

28 posts in this topic

I am brewing my first batch of temp controlled brew via the ink bird temp controller and a fridgidaire mini fridge.

Warming up for the brown bag special I plan to brew later this month which has a low brewing temp!

IMG_2761.jpg

So far so good!

I am hoping with the cooler temps needed for the brown bag special, I can keep my already brewed beer at a drinkable temp in the same fridge as the brewing LBK!

How many LBKs can you fit in that fridge?

How are you measuring the temp? Thermometer taped to the side?

On 5/7/2017 at 8:48 PM, MrWhy said:

How many LBKs can you fit in that fridge?

How are you measuring the temp? Thermometer taped to the side?

Okay MrWhy - it took me a while to check but I have confirmed that 2 LBKs will fit in the mini fridge.

It is the model without a freezer so there is room.

I know I am supposed to tape the probe to the LBK under a cloth.  Right now I just have it resting on the LBK.

MrWhy likes this

1 hour ago, KaijuBrew said:

Okay MrWhy - it took me a while to check but I have confirmed that 2 LBKs will fit in the mini fridge.

It is the model without a freezer so there is room.

I know I am supposed to tape the probe to the LBK under a cloth.  Right now I just have it resting on the LBK.

Mine as well....I can only fit too. I once saw a pic of a mini that fit three, but I don't know if those exist anymore.

I don't have my probe attached to the LBK at all. Mine is in a bottle of water in the fridge. 

KaijuBrew likes this

On 5/6/2017 at 1:24 PM, KaijuBrew said:

I also picked up a few of these artificial ice packs to cool down LBKs brewing in Coleman coolers.

IMG_2768.jpg

You get those babies for free when you start buying liquid yeast!!!

hotrod3539, KaijuBrew and kedogn like this

22 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

You get those babies for free when you start buying liquid yeast!!!

I've got so many of them (from buying yeast) my wife is threating to start throwing them away... heck, maybe she has by now lol :)

KaijuBrew likes this

15 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

Just finished Brown Bag Special recipe and placed it directly in the mini fridge!  45 degrees!

This is the first batch that I placed the fermenter right into the fridge after brewing.

I was about a week into my 1776 Ale when I got my mini fridge set up.  SO brown bag is the first one full on temp controlled which is a good thing because the recipe says to ferment at 45 - 55 which would be hard to do with ice in a cooler.

How large a mini-fridge are we looking at here? 1.7 cu feet or...? It seems like wine fridges are about the same price as many of the mini fridges on Amazon ($90-$100 each), and I am wondering if those might be better since they are designed to run at mid to upper 60's?

6 minutes ago, EwanRGR said:

How large a mini-fridge are we looking at here? 1.7 cu feet or...? It seems like wine fridges are about the same price as many of the mini fridges on Amazon ($90-$100 each), and I am wondering if those might be better since they are designed to run at mid to upper 60's?

How will you cold crash???

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

How will you cold crash???

I thought one did that only to clear up the beer, and so hadn't planned to. But I think you're also suggesting that a mini fridge since it can get colder is more flexible? Only thought is that if one goes that route one probably does have to buy the additional temp control. Still, I gather that would be your suggestion? 

16 minutes ago, EwanRGR said:

I thought one did that only to clear up the beer, and so hadn't planned to. But I think you're also suggesting that a mini fridge since it can get colder is more flexible? Only thought is that if one goes that route one probably does have to buy the additional temp control. Still, I gather that would be your suggestion? 

My suggestion would be to brew a few batches before larger investments. Brew a wheat first since the temps will be ok in the higher range. Get to know the process and the patience part of it. Then decide where you want to go from there

Shrike, C-ya and jasbo like this

always sound advice to spend time on a hobby learning before investing lots of money in it.  I went almost 3 years before going all grain, and buying a propane burner. until then most of my investments were buckets, lids, a wort chiller... nothing uber technical or expensive.

everything I got with the exception of the immersion chiller had other uses if I walked away from the hobby. 

jasbo and Creeps McLane like this

7 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

always sound advice to spend time on a hobby learning before investing lots of money in it.  I went almost 3 years before going all grain, and buying a propane burner. until then most of my investments were buckets, lids, a wort chiller... nothing uber technical or expensive.

Yeah, I can agree to that, from experience.  My issue was and let me say I still have and use some of the equipment I originally bought over 7 years ago, but overall my issue was with batch size.  I figured I would never want to do more than 5 gal when I moved to AG.  So I bought what I needed for a mash tun in a small cooler, build it and used it maybe 5x before I went out and got the kegs to make Keegles and made a false bottom.  My suggestion to add is to do the research and possibly pay a little more to get bigger/better equipment so you aren't spending way more in the long run.  When I was going to buy my current kettles, for the price I almost just got the 30gal sized ones. I opted to spend a little more and get the 50gal ones and with a few beers I'll be brewing regularly now, the 50s are too small really for what I'll need and will force me to brew 2x for that 1 beer.  Just something to think about...

dale hihn likes this

10 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

everything I got with the exception of the immersion chiller had other uses if I walked away from the hobby. 

Chiller would make a really nice fountain, possibly fountain lamp

4 hours ago, joshua.j.grissom said:

Question? may be a dumb one but If i am purchasing this fridge, 

https://www.target.com/p/whirlpool-40-bottle-4-5-cu-ft-wine-refrigerator-stainless-steel-jc-133ez/-/A-51222854

I do not need an ink bird temp controller, because the fridge has a temp gauge on it correct?

As long as it can accurately allow you to control the temp, you're golden. 

4 hours ago, joshua.j.grissom said:

https://www.target.com/p/whirlpool-40-bottle-4-5-cu-ft-wine-refrigerator-stainless-steel-jc-133ez/-/A-51222854

I do not need an ink bird temp controller, because the fridge has a temp gauge on it correct?

I read the specs, and it says the top temp you can set it to is a little more than 64F. That sounds a bit cool to me. I would also want to make sure the shelves are removable.

Good luck!

kedogn likes this

7 hours ago, joshua.j.grissom said:

One thing to be cautious of is that some wine fridges have a function on them that resets the temperature to the lowest setting if power is lost.  So if you had it set at 64 before going out of town for a week, and you lost power an hour after you left, your beer will be sitting at 39 for the rest of the week while you're gone.  I learned that the hard way when I was using a wine fridge as a temp-controlled humidor...a "wineador".

Just FYI, for the same price as that you can get this fridge which holds two LBKs, a temp controller, and have enough leftover for some HME. :)

EwanRGR and kedogn like this

8 hours ago, joshua.j.grissom said:

I vote with @Shrike

I did a lot of research last year and for the most part wine fridges are not worth the extra cost. Get the fridge @Shrike mentioned and a temp control. Cheaper, roomier, more versatile.

EwanRGR likes this

13 hours ago, MrWhy said:

I vote with @Shrike

I did a lot of research last year and for the most part wine fridges are not worth the extra cost. Get the fridge @Shrike mentioned and a temp control. Cheaper, roomier, more versatile.

14 hours ago, Shrike said:

One thing to be cautious of is that some wine fridges have a function on them that resets the temperature to the lowest setting if power is lost.  So if you had it set at 64 before going out of town for a week, and you lost power an hour after you left, your beer will be sitting at 39 for the rest of the week while you're gone.  I learned that the hard way when I was using a wine fridge as a temp-controlled humidor...a "wineador".

Just FYI, for the same price as that you can get this fridge which holds two LBKs, a temp controller, and have enough leftover for some HME. :)

Thanks for the advice guys, only reason i was thinking about getting the wine fridge is because of the digital display temp controller and i think i can get 3 LBK's into it. 

12 hours ago, joshua.j.grissom said:

Thanks for the advice guys, only reason i was thinking about getting the wine fridge is because of the digital display temp controller and i think i can get 3 LBK's into it. 

It's tough to say whether you will get 3 LBKs into it or not. I did not find anything in the mini/wine fridge range that would fit 3. 

I've got two 4.4 fridges, one with a freezer and one without, but neither will fit 3.

KaijuBrew likes this