KaijuBrew

First Batch - Temperature Controlled Brewing!

10 posts in this topic

I am brewing my first batch of temp controlled brew via the ink bird temp controller and a fridgidaire mini fridge.

Warming up for the brown bag special I plan to brew later this month which has a low brewing temp!

IMG_2761.jpg

MrWhy, MRB Tim, Shrike and 4 others like this

So far so good!

I am hoping with the cooler temps needed for the brown bag special, I can keep my already brewed beer at a drinkable temp in the same fridge as the brewing LBK!

How many LBKs can you fit in that fridge?

How are you measuring the temp? Thermometer taped to the side?

On 5/7/2017 at 8:48 PM, MrWhy said:

How many LBKs can you fit in that fridge?

How are you measuring the temp? Thermometer taped to the side?

Okay MrWhy - it took me a while to check but I have confirmed that 2 LBKs will fit in the mini fridge.

It is the model without a freezer so there is room.

I know I am supposed to tape the probe to the LBK under a cloth.  Right now I just have it resting on the LBK.

MrWhy likes this

1 hour ago, KaijuBrew said:

Okay MrWhy - it took me a while to check but I have confirmed that 2 LBKs will fit in the mini fridge.

It is the model without a freezer so there is room.

I know I am supposed to tape the probe to the LBK under a cloth.  Right now I just have it resting on the LBK.

Mine as well....I can only fit too. I once saw a pic of a mini that fit three, but I don't know if those exist anymore.

I don't have my probe attached to the LBK at all. Mine is in a bottle of water in the fridge. 

KaijuBrew likes this

On 5/6/2017 at 1:24 PM, KaijuBrew said:

I also picked up a few of these artificial ice packs to cool down LBKs brewing in Coleman coolers.

IMG_2768.jpg

You get those babies for free when you start buying liquid yeast!!!

kedogn, KaijuBrew and hotrod3539 like this

22 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

You get those babies for free when you start buying liquid yeast!!!

I've got so many of them (from buying yeast) my wife is threating to start throwing them away... heck, maybe she has by now lol :)

KaijuBrew likes this

15 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

Just finished Brown Bag Special recipe and placed it directly in the mini fridge!  45 degrees!

This is the first batch that I placed the fermenter right into the fridge after brewing.

I was about a week into my 1776 Ale when I got my mini fridge set up.  SO brown bag is the first one full on temp controlled which is a good thing because the recipe says to ferment at 45 - 55 which would be hard to do with ice in a cooler.