ForTheHordeKT

Leaky Spigot?

10 posts in this topic

I give up!  I've tried slight adjustments to the angle every which way, varying degrees of looseness and tightness, and I even sliced my GD finger taking a razor to the seams to smooth them out.  When I fill up my little keg it still slowly drips out of the spigot seam.  I do have the washer on the outside, with the beveled edge touching the keg hole.  I'm out of ideas.  Smoothing out the seams on the hole did make an improvement, just didn't completely cure the issue.  So my question is this;

F--- it!  Is there a big reason why it might not be a good idea to just superglue or caulk the damn beveled edge of the seal against the plastic keg?  Either contamination or sanitation issues?  Or can I just throw in the towel and do this?  Because I'm getting kind of pissed at the thing haha.

Actually, I think I finally nailed it.  Gonna let it sit a little longer and be a perfectionist about it, but a file worked a lit better than a razor.  Smoothed it out further at the hole and so far for a few minutes it's sat and not a drop.  Looking a lot harder at it I could see right at one of the seams because of the offset of incline and the surface not being precisely flush, I could see the seal had a warped sort of look sitting against the edge.  So a combo of filing down to perfection, plus this time around after further digging I caught some comments about the final 1/4 turn at the spigot's side to ensure proper snugness without overdoing it, and yup!  That seems to be the key.  If I go out to my kitchen in 20 minutes and still see a few drops then I'm just going to default to figuring I need to do a better job of filing and smoothing over the outer edge of the hole.

Definitely looking forward to this haha.  Got this kit for my b-day with the Bewitched amber ale brew and I'm finally throwing this all together this weekend to get going.

I have had to do similar where the seam meets to prevent drips. I just used a craft knife.

Mentioned here in other threads (search "seam")

and

Haha, I should have made a home depot trip to snag a hose washer for the inside too lol.  Oh well, I'm already letting it sit and sanitize so we'll see how my first batch goes and if I get into this then I just may try the extra washer trick next time too.

Yep, that's one of the most frustrating things about the newer brown spigots and LBKs.  I've never, ever had a single leakage issue with my older LBK with the white spigot.  But the newer one I bought a few months back with the brown spigot has taken a lot of ridiculous TLC with a file in order to get a proper seal.  I have to fiddle with it every single time I use it in order to not get a leak.

And I know what some people think about this:  "Hey, you got a fermenter for $10, what do you want?"  Well, I want the friggin' thing to work as it's supposed to without having to bust out my tool chest, that's what I want.  And if I can't get that, then take the extra time to fix the damned things to make them leak-proof and raise the price to $20 and it's still a good deal..

Big Sarge likes this

A few quick notes....

I've not had a problem with the "new-ish" LBK black spigots.

Lost a nut and ordered a few of the newest spigots. Strangest thing but one of the ones I ordered (the first one I opened) was very weird. The nut was more of a clamp. Just could not get it to seal. Finally opened the other pack, it was more of what I was used to and worked.

Sent an email to Mr. B. As expected, their customer service was beyond reproach and I had a replacement piece sent out immediately.  They asked if I could send pics of the defective piece for their records, they did.

My whole point.....the LBK should not have problems. The Mr. Beer people do not want you to have problems. The LBK is designed to not have problems.

If you are, having problems, reach out to them. These peeps will make it right.

A few years back, I acquired a bunch of LBKs at Target on clearance.  1/2 of them were defective in that manner, and most were fixable with a file, but not all.  Poor quality contractors back then at least.

An inside washer is ill-advised.  First, it should not be needed.  Second, if you insist on using it, is it food grade?  Unlikely.

efdbrian likes this

I just had to throw out one of my LBKs (also Target clearance, Rick B.) because I could not get it to stop leaking at the seam. I used Exacto knife and a file but nothing worked. Now down to three LBKs...very frustrating indeed.