Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Balr14

Need help with new brew!

8 posts in this topic

I purchased the Millennium Falconers Flight Red from Mr Beer and it comes with 2 packets of hops and 2 muslin sacks. And why 2?  I have no idea what to do with these things. My experience up to now has been with the deluxe refill kits, which are basically a can and an LME soft pack. Your help is appreciated!     

MrWhy likes this

Every recipe, next to the product information, has an instructions tab that will tell you your hop additions and times, etc.

For the Falconer's flight you're going to be doing one addition at flameout (no boiling time for the hops. Add in at the end of the boiling time.) And a dry hop. (adding the hops into the fermenter. In this case, at the one week mark.) But read the instructions!

In fact, it is worth the time to go through and read the different recipe instructions. You'll get a nice overview of how and when hops are added, amounts, types, etc.

Shrike likes this

Thanks a lot guys! If the Mr Beer staff doesn't mind a suggestion, how about a search function for recipes? I did not know where to look for Millenium Falcon in recipes. When you look for it in what appears to be alphabetical order, it isn't there. 

MrWhy likes this

Big magnifying glass top left corner...  ;)

If you go under All Extract Recipes, and Show "All" to put them all on one page, the default sort is "Position", not "Name".  It appears near the bottom.  Change it to "Name" and it's in the right place.  

MrWhy likes this

10 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Big magnifying glass top left corner...  ;)

If you go under All Extract Recipes, and Show "All" to put them all on one page, the default sort is "Position", not "Name".  It appears near the bottom.  Change it to "Name" and it's in the right place.  

I see it now. I'll catch on, it just takes awhile. Sorry!

I have two more questions...

1. Instructions say ferment for 2 weeks. The other brews I have made I fermented for 3 or 4 weeks. Would that be better that 2 weeks for this brew?

2. If I did not add the second bag of hops would it reduce the bitterness, and/or would it have some other undesirable results?  

MrWhy likes this

26 minutes ago, Balr14 said:

Thanks a lot guys! If the Mr Beer staff doesn't mind a suggestion, how about a search function for recipes? I did not know where to look for Millenium Falcon in recipes. When you look for it in what appears to be alphabetical order, it isn't there. 

In addition to what Rick Beer said, you can also, on the left, pick all recipes that are hoppy....or you can pick all recipes that contain a certain base. Very useful for example if you know you want to do something with the St. Patrick Irish...etc.

18 minutes ago, Balr14 said:

I see it now. I'll catch on, it just takes awhile. Sorry!

I have two more questions...

1. Instructions say ferment for 2 weeks. The other brews I have made I fermented for 3 or 4 weeks. Would that be better that 2 weeks for this brew?

2. If I did not add the second bag of hops would it reduce the bitterness, and/or would it have some other undesirable results?  

1. Ferment for three weeks. That is the standard now. The recipes don't necessarily all reflect this. 

2. With most Mr. Beer recipes, the hops are not being used for bittering....

There are three things you can do with hops.

1. Bitter. These are longer boil times for the hops. 30 to 60 minutes. 

2. Flavor - These are shorter boiling times. 30 to 10.

3. Aroma. These are very short boiling times. 10 to flameout to dry hop.

(this is an extreme simplification btw)

Mr. Beer HMEs (hopped malt extracts) are already bittered. So most of the recipes do not call for you to anything in the bittering range. You are usually doing short hop addition for flavor and aroma. Take a look at the hop stimulator recipe for a really aggressive Mr. Beer hopping schedule. (That is a fun one to brew.)

For the FF, not adding the second bag of hops (which I think is a dry hop, right?) Would definitely reduce the aroma of the Falconer's hops, and this beer is one meant to really showcase them...(hops.) It's your beer, and you can do whatever you want, but I would definitely add them.

It's funny. In my beer drinking life, I'm not much of a hop head. But when it comes to home brewing I am a hop monster. I love adding hops to my brews......