Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
NwMaltHead

Yeasts

Recommended Posts

I'm starting to figure out the owner/operator of my LHBS actually doesn't know as much as he'd like to think. After asking around town, word amongst brewmeisters and hombrewers alike is that "guy"s beer sucks.

So here I am a day behind brew schedule because I'm iffy on his yeast suggestion. I'm looking for a yeast with a decent temp range and a clean finish. He sold me WLP060 for following Pale Ale recipe.

2# Amber DME 

2# light DME 

1# Carapils 

.5oz Citra 40min

.5oz Citra 15min

 

Im sure it's not a terrible choice, but he seems to recommend it to most homebrewers for 90% of recipes. Any better suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'chico strain'  aka California..   as rick pointed out is the same as us05.

 

us05 ferments clean ie very little esters.  it does a good job. he recommended it because a) you asked for a clean fermenting yeast... it is.   b- you asked for one that works in a good temp range.. it does...  and c)  it is a liquid yeast and cost more than the equivalent us05. 

 

if you bought it already, use it.  if not, pick up a couple packs of fermentis US05.  ferment around 64-66f.

 

I use 05 when I want the beer to highlight the hops or malt, and not the yeast. 

 

'brewmeisters' ... lol.  I laugh at anyone who considers themselves a 'meister' or expert.  you can brew for ages and still learn new things.. still better your craft.  my first impression of my lhbs owner was that he only knew wine.. but when I actually took time to chat I learned that he actually knows quite a bit.  never sampled his brewing, nor he mine but he knows his stuff.  I like that he also asks other ppls opinions on stuff that they are buying from him like a certain yeast strain.   when I first started brewing, I mentioned to him that I was making mr beer kits.  he didn't ridicule,acknowledged that it was a great start to brewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

'chico strain'  aka California..   as rick pointed out is the same as us05.

 

us05 ferments clean ie very little esters.  it does a good job. he recommended it because a) you asked for a clean fermenting yeast... it is.   b- you asked for one that works in a good temp range.. it does...  and c)  it is a liquid yeast and cost more than the equivalent us05. 

 

if you bought it already, use it.  if not, pick up a couple packs of fermentis US05.  ferment around 64-66f.

 

I use 05 when I want the beer to highlight the hops or malt, and not the yeast. 

 

'brewmeisters' ... lol.  I laugh at anyone who considers themselves a 'meister' or expert.  you can brew for ages and still learn new things.. still better your craft.  my first impression of my lhbs owner was that he only knew wine.. but when I actually took time to chat I learned that he actually knows quite a bit.  never sampled his brewing, nor he mine but he knows his stuff.  I like that he also asks other ppls opinions on stuff that they are buying from him like a certain yeast strain.   when I first started brewing, I mentioned to him that I was making mr beer kits.  he didn't ridicule,acknowledged that it was a great start to brewing.

The specs or whatever on white labs website say to ferment between 68-72ºf. I did specify clean and wide temp range. Is the actual temp range different? WLP 060 is a blend, right?

This lhbs owner doesn't agree or listen to anyone else. Always has a reason why you are wrong.

And by "meister" I meant actual head brewers at the local breweries (there's a lot of them here) as opposed to experienced home brewers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temp is whatever the manufacturer recommends.

 

Zorak confused things.  001 is the same as S-05, but you have 060, which is a blend of 001 and others as it clearly states.  The description I linked to clearly tells you the difference.

 

If the owner doesn't listen to or agree with anyone else, why are you asking him for his recommendation?

 

Dry yeast can be purchased for $3 or less per packet.  Liquid yeast is more than twice as expensive normally.  I have never used it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Liquid yeast is more than twice as expensive normally.

But, if you plan to brew fairly often, you can do a starter, split that into equal parts and then use each of those for starters going forward.  As long as you take care of it, you can take 1 vile and turn that bad boy into a long, long lasting supply of fresh yeast to where you save a lot of $ in the long run. Again, if $ is no concern, then I wouldn't worry about doing this.  However, I have in the past, brewed several large batches off of 1 $7 smack pack of 1056... saved a bundle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think i just dont like WLP 060. The first beer made with it got too hot, so i assumed that was the cause of "off-flavors" but my pale ale, while still only a week old, has the same flavors only less. It tastes a tad hot and harsh, a little mineral taste too. Hoping it will condtion out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NwMaltHead said:

I think i just dont like WLP 060. The first beer made with it got too hot, so i assumed that was the cause of "off-flavors" but my pale ale, while still only a week old, has the same flavors only less. It tastes a tad hot and harsh, a little mineral taste too. Hoping it will condtion out.

Getting too hot is not the yeasts fault.  If the fermentation got too hot it would have done the same with any yeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

Getting too hot is not the yeasts fault.  If the fermentation got too hot it would have done the same with any yeast.

Yeah but my pale ale did not get too hot like the previous batch. Im going to wait a month and see if it conditions out. The first batch had that fusely hot feeling/ taste really bad. Still hace hopes for pale ale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NwMaltHead said:

Yeah but my pale ale did not get too hot like the previous batch. Im going to wait a month and see if it conditions out. The first batch had that fusely hot feeling/ taste really bad. Still hace hopes for pale ale. 

My friend had a batch like this once. He gave me a lot of it and i sat on it for months. Eventually the hot taste did subside slightly but more so i think the other flavors in the beer became more pronounced. 

 

When i say "hot" what i mean is his 6% abv beer tasted like a 12% beer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NwMaltHead said:

Yeah but my pale ale did not get too hot like the previous batch. Im going to wait a month and see if it conditions out. The first batch had that fusely hot feeling/ taste really bad. Still hace hopes for pale ale. 

Depending on the OG of the beer, the fermentation can be more vigorous.  That is why with temperature control, you measure the temperature of the beer not ambient temperature.  If you are cooling based on wort temp, then it will not get too hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

My friend had a batch like this once. He gave me a lot of it and i sat on it for months. Eventually the hot taste did subside slightly but more so i think the other flavors in the beer became more pronounced. 

 

When i say "hot" what i mean is his 6% abv beer tasted like a 12% beer. 

Exactly the problem. Will update in a month. Pale ale is still young 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my first mead.. made with cheap honey, lots of fruit, bread yeast... open pot.. no temp control in florida.  came out like rocket fuel. hot, full of fusels, full of co2 and even though low on the abv, made me seriously high due to tons of co2  and later seriously hung over with massive head aches.  6% tasting like 12% is something I can relate to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so what about yeast infechuns? I've read about this before, somewhere in a playboy magazine. and still I dnt understand why a beer article is published in a nudity magazine. plus the things that are discussed have nothing to do with home brewing! I really think those editors are stupid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×