Ron Howard Dawson

Adding a hop schedule to Beach babe blonde

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys. No im not dead. As many of you wished or just figured since I've been MIA for months. 

Im going to brew the Beach babe blonde recipie tonight, I'm gunna tweek it by adding 2oz of two-row, but I also wanna throw in some hops too.

any suggestions?

Bonsai & Brew and dale hihn like this

I made a batch of the Beach Babe Blonde where I combined it with the instructions for the Let it Bee Honey Blonde Ale, which calls for a steep with 2 oz. each of Honey Malt and Pilsen Malt, and then 0.5 oz of Mt. Hood hops in a 5-minute boil.  I thought it turned out very well.

My choice would be any hop with a hit of citrus to it, not too high in bitterness. 5 minute boil as suggested by wvu1989 is very short. I would go longer, perhaps 15-20 depending upon the alpha of the hops and how much you want out of it.

wvu1989 likes this

I think I'm gunna try 1oz El Dorado for this addition, and a 15 min boil. Drop the sack in the LBK as usual for fermentation. I hear this recipie is similar to a bud light lime. It could use a nice hop addition for a little more mouth feel.

Should be nice and ready by July. 

MrWhy and Bonsai & Brew like this

46 minutes ago, Ron Howard Dawson said:

I think I'm gunna try 1oz El Dorado for this addition, and a 15 min boil. Drop the sack in the LBK as usual for fermentation. I hear this recipie is similar to a bud light lime. It could use a nice hop addition for a little more mouth feel.

Should be nice and ready by July. 

Might I make a suggestion......

A 15 minute El Dorado boil is great and you should get a lot of the el dorado flavor.

Why not just go ahead and get another pack of el dorado and do a nice dry hop to pick up some more aroma? Or maybe something that will work well with it. Cascade perhaps?

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Yikes! I brewed this on wendsday evening and I've been checking the LBK each day and I've had no action. I checked again today and it was flat lined. The HME I used had a best before date of May 20th 2017. But I think the yeast may have already been dead. Or possibly the LBK was just too cold ( even though I pitched around 68 degrees) and the yeast never got started.  I had a panic moment since it's been three days and no action so I decided to do a second pitch of dry yeast from an Oktoberfest HME that I didn't use that I had laying around. Hopefully this will jump start things in that LBK. 

The only for sure way to see if theres "action" is to take a gravity reading. 

Ive brewed over 100 batches, worried about a lot of them and 0 of them didnt ferment. Its always worrying about something thats working just fine

hotrod3539 and Big Sarge like this

Thanks for the input Rick and creeps.

I got some foam ontop of the wert now after that second pitch. Looks like I'm in the clear now. I had a panic moment because usually after I pitch MRB yeast, I'll have activity within 24 hours. The LBK will be rippin foam and visible bubbles on the surface. 

The longest I've ever had to wait was probably 2 days for any kind of activity, and that's when I used a wyeast smack pack for a recipie.

So three days without any signs made me nervous on this Beach babe blonde recipie.

I hate to admit it but I pulled a rookie move and didn't aerate the wert before I pitched the first time. Maybe that was my problem. 

Rick, I just lifted LBK out of fermentation chamber and there was trub. A lot.

maybe I did jump the gun on that second pitch. 

What's going to happen now that I pitched 2 packs of yeast? Becides a solid fermentation. Is Anything going to be different with the final outcome of my beer? Is it going to be "yeasty"

do I need to let the beer condition any longer to let the yeast finish up?