Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moots

Honoring my dog

12 posts in this topic

My dog crossed the rainbow bridge a little over a month ago.  I was thinking of brewing a beer in his honor.  Just wondering if anybody might have any suggestions as to what would be good .  He was a golden retriever/ yellow  lab mix.  A very sweet, kind dog.  Thinking of some kind of blonde ale  maybe

9 minutes ago, moots said:

My dog crossed the rainbow bridge a little over a month ago.  I was thinking of brewing a beer in his honor.  Just wondering if anybody might have any suggestions as to what would be good .  He was a golden retriever/ yellow  lab mix.  A very sweet, kind dog.  Thinking of some kind of blonde ale  maybe

What ever you do, make it have some grains and make a batch of dog biscuits with the spent grains. 

NwMaltHead likes this

No suggestions, just sorry for your loss.  Pets have always been more than just pets to me, they're part of the family.

hotrod3539 likes this

Thank you everyone for the responses.   Shrike, I think the same he was part of the family.  Creeps, thank you, it didn't occur to me to use the grains to make dog biscuits.   Thinking of going with the honey blonde ale.  

Sorry for your loss. Labs/retrievers are the best! What was his name? might help us suggest something for you but I definitely think you are on the right track with the honey blonde.

Moots, sorry for you loss. 

My dog just crossed over this past weekend.  Wasn't easy at all.  But I did put together a recipe that I am hopefully going to brew in her honor this coming weekend.  She was a Golden Retriever mix as well with a very gentle nature.  I am going to do a beer that will reflect that nature and call it a light mild.

2.5 Gallon Batch    "Dixie's Mild"

2.5 # 2 row malt   (For extract batch replace with 1.5# Extra Light DME)

4oz   Cara 10L

4oz   Cara 40L

.1oz Magnum Hops (60 min)

.25oz Liberty Hops (10 min)

.25oz Liberty Hops (2 min)

American Ale Yeast   Wyeast 1056, WLP001 or Safale US-05

Mash for 60 minutes at 148 (if extract steep both Cara grains for 30 min at 150 degrees)

60 minute boil with above hop schedule

Ferment at 63 degrees

Precicted numbers

OG   1.033

FG    1.006

IBU    14.8

Color  5.2 SRM

ABV   3.5%

HoppySmile! and moots like this

1 hour ago, BDawg62 said:

My dog just crossed over this past weekend.  Wasn't easy at all.  But I did put together a recipe that I am hopefully going to brew in her honor this coming weekend.  She was a Golden Retriever mix as well with a very gentle nature.  I am going to do a beer that will reflect that nature and call it a light mild.

4oz   Cara 10L

4oz   Cara 40L

Mash for 60 minutes at 148 (if extract steep both Cara grains for 30 min at 150 degrees)

Ferment at 63 degrees

Precicted numbers

OG   1.033

FG    1.006

IBU    14.8

Color  5.2 SRM

ABV   3.5%

Man i'm sorry to hear about that, my shepard is hitting 13 now and when she goes I dnt know if I could ever find another awesome dog like her again

moots likes this

On 5/15/2017 at 1:51 AM, ajolin13 said:

Sorry for your loss. Labs/retrievers are the best! What was his name? might help us suggest something for you but I definitely think you are on the right track with the honey blonde.

His name was yoda bear.  

On 5/15/2017 at 9:26 AM, HoppySmile! said:

Man i'm sorry to hear about that, my shepard is hitting 13 now and when she goes I dnt know if I could ever find another awesome dog like her 

On 5/15/2017 at 7:38 AM, BDawg62 said:

4oz   Cara 10L

4oz   Cara 40L

Ferment at 63 degrees

Precicted numbers

OG   1.033

FG    1.006

IBU    14.8

Color  5.2 SRM

ABV   3.5%

Bdawg I am sorry for your loss.  Was one of the hardest things to go through.  The recipe looks great.