MiniYoda

Adding something strange

15 posts in this topic

Okay, so here's the thing.  Yes, I've had a couple or two, so that's how I have what it takes to ask something so off-the-wall.

 

If I want add orange flavor to a beer, such as the Belgian Blanc, I take an orange, soak it in sanitized water, then zest it and put the zest in the boiling water, remove from heat, then add the extract.  Likewise, if I wanted to do a Beach Babe Blonde, I'd take a couple of limes, soak them in sanitized water, then zest them, add the zest to the boil, remove from heat, then add the extract..  For me (personally) best to sanitize the outer skin to make sure no germies get in the beer, even though the boil should kill most of those little critters..

 

Now, let's say I was weird enough to add something that wasn't a fruit.  Let's say, for some strange reason, I wanted add something like lavender or rose petals (and no, I'm *not* going to do this).  Would I still just take the flower, soak it in sanitized water, then add it to the boil?  Would it be any better/worse to spray sanitized water on violet petals / dandelion buds, then soak them in regular water for a few/several hours, then add the water to the boil?

 

Yoder

 

P.S.  If you think this is weird, wait until you see next week's post

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you could do like the French do when cooking and make an herb bundle with some thread. then give it a quick dunk in some starsan solution.. let it set for a moment then drop it into your fermenter.

 

how I use orange  peel:  I used to boil but when you boil fruit you can develop pectin which would possibly be bad for the beer.  I pick an unblemished orange . I use dish soap and a clean scrubby and gently scrub the orange, rinse, then carefully remove the peel.  I then scrape ALL the pith off it.  discard. pith = bitter.   put the orange in a hop sack and then the whole thing in a freezer bag. pop it in the freezer overnight. then I go one extra step and give the hop sack with the orange a quick dunk in starsan solution before adding it to fermenter.

 

or - I just buy some Valencia orange peel from the grocer spice aisle and use that in a hop sack.

 

another method I use with orange peel?  wash, rinse, remove pith, hop sack, put in a jar and cover with vodka or rock and rye or whatever booze you like.  let it set in the booze for about 3-5 days then when ready dump the whole thing in the fermenter.

 

you could do this too with lavender to make an extract.. just be mindful that it might overpower the beer.

Shrike likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anything you might consider weird has probably already been asked before.  I even mentioned once adding calamari and marinara sauce to beer...   no need for liquid courage. just ask away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am the king of adding something strange.  Never be afraid to ask.

 

 

Shrike likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I misunderstood the subject of the thread at first.  I thought "adding something strange" referred to Zorak posting, then posting again right below, then sometimes again...  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BDawg62 said:

I am the king of adding something strange.  Never be afraid to ask.

 

 

 

I remember this one, and was going to research to see how it went.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I misunderstood the subject of the thread at first.  I thought "adding something strange" referred to Zorak posting, then posting again right below, then sometimes again...  LOL

That is the indication of a great mind at work. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

Okay, so here's the thing.  Yes, I've had a couple or two, so that's how I have what it takes to ask something so off-the-wall.

 

If I want add orange flavor to a beer, such as the Belgian Blanc, I take an orange, soak it in sanitized water, then zest it and put the zest in the boiling water, remove from heat, then add the extract.  Likewise, if I wanted to do a Beach Babe Blonde, I'd take a couple of limes, soak them in sanitized water, then zest them, add the zest to the boil, remove from heat, then add the extract..  For me (personally) best to sanitize the outer skin to make sure no germies get in the beer, even though the boil should kill most of those little critters..

 

Now, let's say I was weird enough to add something that wasn't a fruit.  Let's say, for some strange reason, I wanted add something like lavender or rose petals (and no, I'm *not* going to do this).  Would I still just take the flower, soak it in sanitized water, then add it to the boil?  Would it be any better/worse to spray sanitized water on violet petals / dandelion buds, then soak them in regular water for a few/several hours, then add the water to the boil?

 

Yoder

 

P.S.  If you think this is weird, wait until you see next week's post

 

 

 

This isn't weird at all. I've brewed with flowers including rose and lavender. The trick is to use alcohol, like vodka or Everclear, not sanitized water (sanitizing food products with brewery sanitizer isn't a good practice). Alcohol will not only sanitize the flowers/fruit, but will also extract the flavors and infuse it into the beer better.

MiniYoda likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

This isn't weird at all. I've brewed with flowers including rose and lavender. The trick is to use alcohol, like vodka or Everclear, not sanitized water (sanitizing food products with brewery sanitizer isn't a good practice). Alcohol will not only sanitize the flowers/fruit, but will also extract the flavors and infuse it into the beer better.

 

Is there nothing alcohol can't do? :)

homer_simpson+drinkin.jpg

hotrod3539 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Can't wash my truck.

 

Can't cook me dinner.

 

Can't...

it can if used as payment to someone for doing those things.... lol

Shrike likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Can't wash my truck.

 

Can't cook me dinner.

 

Can't...

 

Thanks, Buzz Killington. :)

 

28936471.jpg

dale hihn and hotrod3539 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

This isn't weird at all. I've brewed with flowers including rose and lavender. The trick is to use alcohol, like vodka or Everclear, not sanitized water (sanitizing food products with brewery sanitizer isn't a good practice). Alcohol will not only sanitize the flowers/fruit, but will also extract the flavors and infuse it into the beer better.

 

Thanks for the advise.  I'll explain the What and Why, next Monday.  The "how" will be........later.

 

 

MRB Josh R likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

admit it rick.. you know youll miss me when I'm gone.

 

it is far less offensive to read a series of snippet posts where a person made an additional comment, than to weed through war and peace.  since I tend to be a bit wordy sometimes......

 

plus when one has dyslexia....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now