Bad Andy

First Home Brew and Questions

37 posts in this topic

Pull the rest out, let them go 4 full weeks, or more, before refrigerating.  Then 3 days in the frig.

12 hours ago, Bad Andy said:

So cracked one tonight, since I am going out of town for the weekend. 

I am am very pleased with the result. Great crisp clean taste. 

When initially poured, it had a nice foam head, but that quickly dissipated and while the beer still had a few small bubbles, it was on the flat side. 

While it would certainly be easy to drink a bunch of these, I think I will wait another week or two and see if the retained carbonation improves. Granted I know it could very bottle to bottle, but just think this one needs a little more time. 

IMG_0059.JPG

Looks good, Andy. However, they're pretty much always going to be flat and disappointing after only three weeks in the bottle. My second beer is just now getting good, and it was bottled in mid-May.

Jim

Yesterday tried another that had gone full 4 weeks, plus 3 days in the fridge.  About the same results.  I think I will just let these sit for a few more weeks before trying again.  Tomorrow I will bottle my second batch of beer (Wild Wheat... see other thread).  I am looking forward to that one, but will wait at least 3 weeks before thinking of cooling and trying one.

dale hihn likes this

1 hour ago, Bad Andy said:

Yesterday tried another that had gone full 4 weeks, plus 3 days in the fridge.  About the same results.  I think I will just let these sit for a few more weeks before trying again.  Tomorrow I will bottle my second batch of beer (Wild Wheat... see other thread).  I am looking forward to that one, but will wait at least 3 weeks before thinking of cooling and trying one.

You'll definitely enjoy the Wild Wheat.  I brewed it last fall, and just drank my last bottle the other day.  It's definitely on my Mr. Beer rebrew list.  Good luck and enjoy it when it's finished.  😀

Is there a need to let the beer ferment longer than the 2 weeks, I'm brewing Octoberfest and today is the last day. I've read that that the conditioning could go to three weeks.

Thanks

MRB Tim likes this

8 minutes ago, Shayne said:

Is there a need to let the beer ferment longer than the 2 weeks,

Great question! Although you can usually get away with 2 weeks in the fermenter, we find that giving it 3 weeks will lower your chances of off-flavors, and save you some conditioning time. For most of our beers, you'll want to do 3 full weeks in the fermenter and 3-4 weeks in the bottles.

dale hihn, Shayne, TonyKZ1 and 1 other like this

Another question, about beer temps. I'm using  ice chests to store beer while ferments and conditions. I put two frozen water bottles in every 24 hours. The temp ranges from 68 degrees to 72 degrees until I replace. Is it ok for the temp to move between the ranges. Didn't know if it's matters if its not consistent. Also, bottled my first batch after returning from

Vacay. Has a great flavor and it's flat like it should be. Can't wait till October to try it. Have the Long Play IPA brewing now. Just got my second BLK and going to start a second brewing. Thanks for any advice shared. 

7 week update. Had one beer last night. The flavor is certainly there. Tasted much better than the previous tastes. Still not holding much carbonation, but drinkable. Not a fantastic beer, but beer none the less. 

Looking forward to trying a bottle of wild Wheat next week some time. 

Also, just got my chest freezer all set up with temperature controller. Looking forward to brewing my first Lager soon (zombie fest). Going to make a starter for that batch today. 

dale hihn and MRB Tim like this

On 8/12/2017 at 4:35 PM, Bad Andy said:

7 week update. Had one beer last night. The flavor is certainly there. Tasted much better than the previous tastes. Still not holding much carbonation, but drinkable. Not a fantastic beer, but beer none the less. 

Looking forward to trying a bottle of wild Wheat next week some time. 

Also, just got my chest freezer all set up with temperature controller. Looking forward to brewing my first Lager soon (zombie fest). Going to make a starter for that batch today. 

I was underwhelmed by my first batch as well, but still, I drank every bottle. Till this day I still believe I just fermented that batch to warm. Every batch I've made since then got better each time though. You'll be impressing yourself before you know it!

Shrike, AnthonyC and dale hihn like this

14 hours ago, epete28 said:

I was underwhelmed by my first batch as well, but still, I drank every bottle. Till this day I still believe I just fermented that batch to warm. Every batch I've made since then got better each time though. You'll be impressing yourself before you know it!

Pete, my 1st recipe was the Oktoberfest.  I fermented that baby at room temperature during a sweltering NY late-August thru early-September summer.  I think it was about 80* in the LBK....  BUT... I drank every last drop of that crap b/c I made it!  😀

epete28 and hotrod3539 like this