fathead5f

Black Beer'd porter

8 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I recently, after some miss communication, became the owner of 3 black Beer'd porter kits. I'm planning on making a batch straight, but since I have 3 fermenters. 2 empty and one soon to be. I was wondering if anyone has made this, or done anything different to it. Maybe you wished you did something different.  I welcome all thoughts and suggestions as to what I could add to the other 2 to get different unique beers.  Thank you

1 hour ago, fathead5f said:

Hey all,

I recently, after some miss communication, became the owner of 3 black Beer'd porter kits. I'm planning on making a batch straight, but since I have 3 fermenters. 2 empty and one soon to be. I was wondering if anyone has made this, or done anything different to it. Maybe you wished you did something different.  I welcome all thoughts and suggestions as to what I could add to the other 2 to get different unique beers.  Thank you

If this is supposed to be the MRB version of dechutes black butte porter then I would just leave it alone. That beer is amazing. 

fathead5f and John K. like this

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

If this is supposed to be the MRB version of dechutes black butte porter then I would just leave it alone. That beer is amazing. 

I made the Black Beer'd Porter. It will be ready in July. Can't wait. Love Dechutes Black Butte Porter! Best porter I've ever had. Hope mine turns out similar. 

fathead5f likes this

Made my second round just saturday, first turned out great and extremly close to Deschutes. this round all i did was add 2oz flaked oats to the grains to add a bit of creamyness. 

John K. likes this

I had some leftover darker grains from another recipe so I added them to the BBP.  It turned out great.  Next time, though, I'm going to make it straight up.

12 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I am making a batch straight up. But I have 2 others to make, so I was seeing if anyone had any suggestions to experiment on it. 

Everyone else, thanks for the ideas.

3 hours ago, Shrike said:

I had some leftover darker grains from another recipe so I added them to the BBP.  It turned out great.  Next time, though, I'm going to make it straight up.

I found my notes, here's what I did:
-  1 Porter HME

-  2 Robust LME instead of 2 smooth

-  Steeped 2oz each of roasted barley, oat flakes, 2-row, chocolate malt, and Munich malt.

John K. likes this