Mr.Beer Community
fathead5f

Black Beer'd porter

Hey all,

I recently, after some miss communication, became the owner of 3 black Beer'd porter kits. I'm planning on making a batch straight, but since I have 3 fermenters. 2 empty and one soon to be. I was wondering if anyone has made this, or done anything different to it. Maybe you wished you did something different.  I welcome all thoughts and suggestions as to what I could add to the other 2 to get different unique beers.  Thank you

1 hour ago, fathead5f said:

Hey all,

I recently, after some miss communication, became the owner of 3 black Beer'd porter kits. I'm planning on making a batch straight, but since I have 3 fermenters. 2 empty and one soon to be. I was wondering if anyone has made this, or done anything different to it. Maybe you wished you did something different.  I welcome all thoughts and suggestions as to what I could add to the other 2 to get different unique beers.  Thank you

If this is supposed to be the MRB version of dechutes black butte porter then I would just leave it alone. That beer is amazing. 

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

If this is supposed to be the MRB version of dechutes black butte porter then I would just leave it alone. That beer is amazing. 

I made the Black Beer'd Porter. It will be ready in July. Can't wait. Love Dechutes Black Butte Porter! Best porter I've ever had. Hope mine turns out similar. 

12 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I am making a batch straight up. But I have 2 others to make, so I was seeing if anyone had any suggestions to experiment on it. 

Everyone else, thanks for the ideas.

3 hours ago, Shrike said:

I had some leftover darker grains from another recipe so I added them to the BBP.  It turned out great.  Next time, though, I'm going to make it straight up.

I found my notes, here's what I did:
-  1 Porter HME

-  2 Robust LME instead of 2 smooth

-  Steeped 2oz each of roasted barley, oat flakes, 2-row, chocolate malt, and Munich malt.

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 10:56 AM, fathead5f said:

I am making a batch straight up. But I have 2 others to make, so I was seeing if anyone had any suggestions to experiment on it. 

Everyone else, thanks for the ideas.

In addition to changing from smooth to robust LME after 2 weeks I add a 4" oak spiral I've soaked in bourbon. I leave it for another 2 weeks... yes, I know that's 4 weeks in the fermenter. I keep my temperatures at 60 degrees. On some occasions I increase the fermentables by using both the smooth and robust LME's and I use a lager yeast. Drinking one I bottled on 2/4 as a matter of fact. @MiniYoda might be able to comment on that combination.

1529452311297.jpg

16 hours ago, robo1 said:

I'm bottling Black Beer'd on Thursday.  I've heard good things, so fingers crossed!

BBP is the best beer I’ve made out of 14 batches. Love it. Needs to age quite a while though. Worth it.