EwanRGR

What Size Mini-Fridge?

29 posts in this topic

For my next batches I would like to make sure things are a bit more temperature controlled. I have read I want to get an InkBird (I presume the 
Inkbird Itc-308 is ok) and a mini-fridge if I want to do things "right". But what size mini-fridge would hold a couple LBK's with decent separation? I presume I want one without the freezer section, but am I looking for a 2.x or a 3.x or...? Any particular models that are recommended?

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a new member of the forum, a great place to start is reading the existing threads.  Here's one, plenty more:

 

 

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @EwanRGR!!!

 

I went through this same process several months ago. (almost a year to be excact.) And after a time, I settled on two, both approx 4.4.

 

I will tell you, that freezer or no freezer, most modern mini fridges will not hold 3 LBKs without some form of modification. Both the ones I bought hold two without any wiggle room. This is because the modern ones have this weird thing that the machinery/stuff is in the "bottom" creating a short shelf space and door stuff gets in the way.

 

Again, with modification, cutting, etc. I am sure there is a way to get three in. But as bought, two is the max.

 

Hope this helps!

KaijuBrew likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to remove the inner door skin because the can dispenser wouldn't let the second LBK fit in the bottom. Other than that it has been great. Leave on vacation and know your brew is at the perfect temp. 

KaijuBrew likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can get 2 LBKs in the one I picked up from Lowe's.  It is a model with out a freezer and works quite well.

 

It is a fridgidaire model.

 

 

IMG_3526.jpg

AnthonyC and dale hihn like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

I can get 2 LBKs in the one I picked up from Lowe's.  It is a model with out a freezer and works quite well.

 

It is a fridgidaire model.

 

 

IMG_3526.jpg

I wish mine had no freezer.  It is worthless for what I use it for and is a constant pain in the ass.  When the elactric goes out it leaks all over the place + it just takes up space inside of it.  Wonder if it can be removed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

I wish mine had no freezer.  It is worthless for what I use it for and is a constant pain in the ass.  When the elactric goes out it leaks all over the place + it just takes up space inside of it.  Wonder if it can be removed?

It can be but im most circumstances you have to bend the piping and if you break it youre screwed. I researched it when i got my last mini fridge. But it can be done. 

 

I use my mini fridge as my beer and brewing fridge. I keep yeast and hops that ill be using the next day. My little prep fridge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

It can be but im most circumstances you have to bend the piping and if you break it youre screwed. I researched it when i got my last mini fridge. But it can be done. 

 

I use my mini fridge as my beer and brewing fridge. I keep yeast and hops that ill be using the next day. My little prep fridge. 

Argh, sounds like a big risk that I'm not going o take.  Right now mine is loaded with yeasts, hops, extracts, and some grains.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Argh, sounds like a big risk that I'm not going o take.  Right now mine is loaded with yeasts, hops, extracts, and some grains.  

 

Same here.  Top shelf is yeast, hops, and grains; bottom shelf is beer.  Up top, mocking me, is the waste-of-space freezer.  I wish I knew then what I know now, I'd have gotten one like KaijuBrew has.  I don't even need it for temp control.  I'd just like to be able to cold crash.

 

I'll probably upgrade this fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2017 at 7:43 PM, KaijuBrew said:

This is what I got. No freezer.  Working well so far for 6 months.  I have a temp control module (lady Byrd) connected to keep it at temp during fermentation.

 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-3-3-cu-ft-Freestanding-Compact-Refrigerator-Silver-Mist-ENERGY-STAR/1000059645

 

 

After the conversation yesterday about brewing lagers, I am really taking a close look at this one.  It would fit in my man cave perfectly in the exact spot that I keep my fermenting coolers, it's inexpensive, I'd be able to dispense with the ice bottle-swapping game (not that it's that difficult), I'd re-gain some space in my freezer where the water bottles go, and would pretty much be able to "set and forget" during fermentation which would keep me from having to cease brewing operations when we go out of town.

 

All of those pros, and zero cons.  I'm still going to wait until probably September, just to knock my current brew queue down a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2017 at 11:21 AM, Shrike said:

 

After the conversation yesterday about brewing lagers, I am really taking a close look at this one.  It would fit in my man cave perfectly in the exact spot that I keep my fermenting coolers, it's inexpensive, I'd be able to dispense with the ice bottle-swapping game (not that it's that difficult), I'd re-gain some space in my freezer where the water bottles go, and would pretty much be able to "set and forget" during fermentation which would keep me from having to cease brewing operations when we go out of town.

 

All of those pros, and zero cons.  I'm still going to wait until probably September, just to knock my current brew queue down a bit.

 

Not having to think about the temp during fermentation is a mental game changer. You just put the LBK in and forget about it for a few weeks. I mean, you will still open the fridge and peak......tell it how proud you are, those things...just to make sure it doesn't get lonely, but other than that you just chill....like the LBK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

 

Not having to think about the temp during fermentation is a mental game changer. You just put the LBK in and forget about it for a few weeks. I mean, you will still open the fridge and peak......tell it how proud you are, those things...just to make sure it doesn't get lonely, but other than that you just chill....like the LBK.

 

Why do you peak?  Seems a bit ridiculous, peaking just because the fridge is opened.  Peeking I can understand, but not peaking.

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

 

Why do you peak?  Seems a bit ridiculous, peaking just because the fridge is opened.  Peeking I can understand, but not peaking.

 

16 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

 

Oh Richard!  It's SO nice to have you back in my life!  

 

 

 

IMG_0353.JPG

MrWhy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2017 at 7:43 PM, KaijuBrew said:

This is what I got. No freezer.  Working well so far for 6 months.  I have a temp control module (lady Byrd) connected to keep it at temp during fermentation.

 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-3-3-cu-ft-Freestanding-Compact-Refrigerator-Silver-Mist-ENERGY-STAR/1000059645

 

 

I received my Inkbird today from MRB and will hopefully be going to Lowe's tomorrow to pick up one of those fridges.

hotrod3539 and KaijuBrew like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shrike said:

 

I received my Inkbird today from MRB and will hopefully be going to Lowe's tomorrow to pick up one of those fridges.

 

I have an LBK of Black Beer'd Porter and an LBK with my special (read low water screw up) *Imperial* Calavera Chile Stout going in this fridge right now!  Ink Bird set at 66 and holding!  :-)

hotrod3539 and Shrike like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Just put my GE mini out to pasture.  At least I got $20 for recycling it.  

Now what??? You have an alternative to the temp controlled GE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Now what??? You have an alternative to the temp controlled GE?

Yeast & hops are in the kitchen fridge, and any lagers will be temp controlled in the good ole Igloo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Shrike said:

 

I received my Inkbird today from MRB and will hopefully be going to Lowe's tomorrow to pick up one of those fridges.

 

I have two Lowe's within 10 miles of my house and both were sold out.  So I ordered it online; hurray for free shipping!

hotrod3539 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now