Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian N.

The MOTHER of all bottle bombs

11 posts in this topic

Never have I seen anything so destructive! Looking at the carnage, and a little forensic work it appears that the top 1/3 of the bottle shot straight up, taking out an entire florescent fixture and two florescent bulbs. Glass from the bottle was embedded into the nearby sheet-rock wall and in the plastic (open top) bin where it was stored. Beer "splatter" was 10 feet and glass shards were clear across the basement! The most unbelievable part is that the other bottles next to the MOABB were intact! I now put that entire batch into an old cooler, just in case of another explosion. I think I'm going back to plastic bottles. The mess took 2 hours to clean, and I hope I got all the glass shards. 

Shrike likes this

1 minute ago, Brian N. said:

Never have I seen anything so destructive! Looking at the carnage, and a little forensic work it appears that the top 1/3 of the bottle shot straight up, taking out an entire florescent fixture and two florescent bulbs. Glass from the bottle was embedded into the nearby sheet-rock wall and in the plastic (open top) bin where it was stored. Beer "splatter" was 10 feet and glass shards were clear across the basement! The most unbelievable part is that the other bottles next to the MOABB were intact! I now put that entire batch into an old cooler, just in case of another explosion. I think I'm going back to plastic bottles. The mess took 2 hours to clean, and I hope I got all the glass shards. 

Pictures at 10?

21 minutes ago, jasbo said:

I can hear my wife now: "Jim, maybe you'd like to take up gardening ... or painting? Or just drinking.

Jim

mine was super close to suggesting that when my shelf collapsed and i ended up with about 10 gallons of fermenting beer all over the basement floor.....

Creeps McLane likes this

I feel your pain Brian. I don't know if plastic is the answer as my only bomb was when  the bottom blew off a 1 liter PET. It was in a covered cooler and still blew beer on the ceiling.

my last RIS has a plastic bomb.  the bottle shot up to the ceiling like  a rocket.. spewing a contrail of beer as it went.  it collided with the ceiling speckling it with polka dots from end to end....  then shot downward into the shower stall door.. bounced off and fell amongst its brethren.. knocking them over and shaking them up.  stout was all over the walls... ceiling... floor...

it took 2 hours to clean up and fortunately it was contained in the extra unused shower stall.  when these things blow out the bottom they become missiles. I think the Nazis used to use shaken plastic 2 liter beer bottles in ww2 as antipersonnel weapons.  .. until the Geneva convention intervened.

since then I store carbing bottles in a cooler. wonder if putting a 10 lb weight on the lid would keep a missile from creating a mess? or would it merely launch the weight into the shower door?

dale hihn likes this

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

My 2 bombs were 33.8 oz PETs...  Bottom blew out on both.  Both shot up, huge mess.

Forget cleanup.... move residence.