Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hahawhatt

Forgot the brown sugar

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

This is my first experience with home brewing. I decided to begin with the nilla porter, however I was so concerned with doing everything right that I forgot to add the brown sugar. I was just curious 1. if I could still add the brown sugar late. Fermentation began about 2 hours ago. 2. if I should add the brown sugar at all? I have read around the internet that some people do not like the flavors that it creates.

So, from your personal experience, have any of you gone without it in the nilla porter recipe?

Thanks

You should NOT add the brown sugar.  You would need to add it to some water, bring it to a boil dissolving it, let it cool to 70 or so, and then pour it in.  

The sugar ferments away, leaving a molasses flavor.

Everyone one of us has made one brewing mistake, some 2 or 3...

hotrod3539 likes this

What Rick said.  But this can set up a tasting experiment for you.  If you like the end result, brew it again but this time with the brown sugar.  Then you can taste the difference that it makes.

Just don't forget to add the vanilla when the time comes. :)

RickBeer likes this

I know Rick hates hearing this, but...   I made the Nilla Porter twice.  Once using brown sugar and once using only white.  I actually preferred the one with the dark brown.  The flavor was relevant to the season; it was around Thanksgiving.  I did this sans boiling, but that's mostly b/c I never thought of boiling it 1st (nicely done, Rick).  Why don't you do half with/half without and see which you prefer?  Good luck.?? 

Upon on further investigation (aka read your entire post), it looks like it's too late.  Maybe next time.

kedogn likes this

5 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

I know Rick hates hearing this, but...   I made the Nilla Porter twice.  Once using brown sugar and once using only white.  I actually preferred the one with the dark brown.  The flavor was relevant to the season; it was around Thanksgiving.  I did this sans boiling, but that's mostly b/c I never thought of boiling it 1st (nicely done, Rick).  Why don't you do half with/half without and see which you prefer?  Good luck.?? 

Upon on further investigation (aka read your entire post), it looks like it's too late.  Maybe next time.

:P:P:D:lol:

c640x360_32.jpg

kedogn, RickBeer, hotrod3539 and 1 other like this

when I did my nilla porter, I think I ate the brown sugar and then realized it was suppose to go into the wort, so like a dumass, all I had was some aunt jameima's maple surup, so I poured an amount into it, all in all no real defining flavor, maybe a hint of maple