Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
manwithabeard

Carbonation and Conditioning Times Question

Afternoon Brewers!

I'm currently brewing and the Carbonation says "3 weeks" and Bottle Conditioning says "2-4 weeks"

I have read that Carbonation and Conditioning is essentially the same thing - Carbonation happens then Conditioning.

So I am under the assumption this means my beer should be bottled for at least 5 (3 weeks carbonation followed by an additional 2-4 weeks Conditioning) weeks before I put it in the fridge and drink

I am guessing it is not 3-4 weeks total (3 weeks for Carbonation and 2-4 for Conditioning at the same time)

Cheers,

@manwithabeard Once bottled let it sit at standard room temp (70*F - 72*F ish) for at least 4 weeks. Depending on what you are brewing it may benefit from an extra week or two of time (or longer) Put one in the fridge 3 days (this is important to let the newly created CO2 absorb into the beer and let stuff (yeasties and unneeded protiens aka bottle trub) settle and compact to the bottom) take it out, open it up, pour into clean glass (Except the last ounce or two... that's the dregs you don't wanna drink) and then take a smell and a taste, if you like it then it's conditioned long enough feel free to toss more in the fridge (remember 3 day rule) and drink away.... if you think it needs more time, then let the rest go for another week or two then repeat the 3 day chill on another one until you are either A: out of that batch but have tried it at varying times and maybe noted one you liked the best for next time you brew that one.... or B: you are happy with it and decide to fridge the rest of the batch.

Happy brewing and welcome to your new obsession.... oops... I mean hobby!

The lingo and verbiage can be all over the place. From recipes that are older than the current standard operating procedure and written long ago to different takes on the process....as well as bringing in terms from other processes. It absolutely will not hurt to give the beer 5 weeks.

For the sake of simplicity I do not separate "carbonation" and "conditioning" in the bottle phase. Technically, at some point your beer IS done carbonating and after that it IS conditioning. But in real life, I just look at is as X weeks in the bottle. As in "I'm going to let this one sit 6 weeks before I try." Or shorter. Or longer.

As for how long your beer should sit, it really depends on what your beer is. It can be all over the place depending on style, amount of ABV, hops, partial mash, straight extract, etc. Almost all of the beers will taste better at 6-8 weeks than any earlier. Some need a lot longer in the bottle. I've got a bourbon barrel stout I'm going to let sit for 7 months before I even sample. I had a quad that was at it's best a year after bottling.

But back to your beer. Like I mentioned earlier, letting it sit in the bottle for 5 will be better than 3. But at the the 3 week mark, take one and fridge it for a few days. Then try it and see how it is. Then try one at 5. Then no matter what save a few for longer. 8 and 10.

Welcome to a wonderful hobby! 

One thing that I have found really helpful in finding the patience to allow your beer to condition is to build one helluva pipeline. Once you get over 6 cases of beer in waiting, you will find yourself passing the time by drinking your beer. I will occasionally have a taste test at 4-6 weeks in the bottle (depending on the style and how excited I am to try it), but the next will be a few months down the road because my other batches have hit their stride. Don't get me wrong, it's also aided by the fact that I may have one or two beers a day at most. The chore of waiting turns into the chore of drinking ready beer, simply be default. And yes, the latter is a wonderful chore to have. 

12 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

Don't get me wrong, it's also aided by the fact that I may have one or two beers a day at most. The chore of waiting turns into the chore of drinking ready beer, simply be default. And yes, the latter is a wonderful chore to have. 

I have never considered drinking my beer a Chore. ;)

I've cut down my brewing, and I don't brew over the summer. My stockpile is full. Most of my beers I do not drink! They are consumed mostly by friends at BBQ's, gatherings, etc. At the risk of being thrown off the Mr B forum - I'll admit that I drink 2-3 a week, at most, usually weekends. During the week I may have a glass of good red wine with my meal, or finish the evening sipping a small bit of single malt Scotch, but usually not beer. I know, blasphemy! 

1 hour ago, Brian N. said:

I've cut down my brewing, and I don't brew over the summer. My stockpile is full. Most of my beers I do not drink! They are consumed mostly by friends at BBQ's, gatherings, etc. At the risk of being thrown off the Mr B forum - I'll admit that I drink 2-3 a week, at most, usually weekends. During the week I may have a glass of good red wine with my meal, or finish the evening sipping a small bit of single malt Scotch, but usually not beer. I know, blasphemy! 

1. Cutting production

2. Taking summer off from brewing

3. Limiting consumption

If I recall, I believe these actions are in direct violation of @RickBeer's 3-Strike Rule.  Expect consequences!

Thanks for the info!

I had it noted to leave it for 5 weeks, so I'll be trying that based on your responses and then leaving some more to condition even longer than that.

I've made a few in the past, but this is my first Stout and my first with some extra stuff (brewed with Cocoa powder, orange peel and vodka)