Mr.Beer Community
Rokitman

Advice On Starting First Zombie Fest Brew

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:27 AM, Rokitman said:

Thanx for this Rick. Although it's too late to label my old yeast packets now, I'll definitely do this in the future.

From what I can tell, there are 3 types of Mr B yeast that I can identify.

* the metallic packets for ale yeast, in some the date code is followed by the letters IM and some not.

I have not identified the difference yet except that "IM" yeast is included in the Craft series Winter Dark Ale and Diablo IPA.

All of the standard refills I have seem not to have the "IM". 

As for Seasonals, they use a specialty Saflager/Safale yeast.

* the paper packets - these are the wheat yeast. The date code is followed by a "W" and the letters "B/N"

Unlike Cooper's Mr Beer does not seem to have their own labeled lager yeast and use a Saflager or other yeast for that when they want you to ferment at low temperatures. The Refills labeled as lagers or pilsner from what I can tell come with the standard Ale Yeast.

Cooper's lagers do not- they have lager yeast - or lager/ale yeast mix.

So this makes the need to identify a bit lass critical I think.

Maybe Mr Beer Josh or Tim can  elaborate on this - or correct me if my analysis is wrong..

It does get a little confusing. I can speak confidently off the top of my head about the MRB line, but the DIY line (as you've no doubt noticed) has had some changes, and I'm still catching up a bit (to my shame). I'll try and make time to get a more definitive answer on those. The LP IPA (silvery packet) and BW (white papery packet) definitely have unique yeasts just for those refills. The rest have the standard MRB yeast (gold packet), produced by Coopers. This means that technically, if brewed with no adjustments to yeasts, our lager refills are lager-style ales. Of course, there's nothing stopping anyone from subbing in S-23 or something like that, but we find this way creates greater ease of use for most of our brewers. 

21 hours ago, Bad Andy said:

Rokitman, any updates on this beer?  I just made my yeast starter and hope to brew it this weekend. 

Hi Andy,

My Zombie Fest is in the bottles and will be ready to chill and further condition September 3rd. The bottles are starting to firm up nicely. So my first taste should be mid to late September. I'm very excited about this and will definitely let you all know how it turned out. I had some issues with dissolving the DME in the initial brewing stages and had to use a radical approach. So if this turns out OK, it just further proves how easy ~ and forgiving ~ home brewing can be.

- Good luck to you -

1 hour ago, Rokitman said:

Hi Andy,

My Zombie Fest is in the bottles and will be ready to chill and further condition September 3rd. The bottles are starting to firm up nicely. So my first taste should be mid to late September. I'm very excited about this and will definitely let you all know how it turned out. I had some issues with dissolving the DME in the initial brewing stages and had to use a radical approach. So if this turns out OK, it just further proves how easy ~ and forgiving ~ home brewing can be.

- Good luck to you -

You know you're not going to just drop that there and not have someone ask you about it, right?!?  :D

8d04e2697115808e7fc3ed6bbd5e7f617bcfbbca

3 hours ago, Shrike said:

You know you're not going to just drop that there and not have someone ask you about it, right?!?  :D

I mentioned that in an earlier post  in this thread. Long story short. The DME clumped horribly while I was mixing it. I ended up putting the mess in a blender to break it all up.

5 hours ago, Rokitman said:

I mentioned that in an earlier post  in this thread. Long story short. The DME clumped horribly while I was mixing it. I ended up putting the mess in a blender to break it all up.

Yeah, I went back and re-read the thread and just saw that.  I've read of people using blenders to mix the DME so you should be fine.

ETA:  I was looking for this video earlier but got distracted.  He tries four methods to combine the DME with water.  The fourth is via blender (starts at 2:20), which in the description of the video was described as "surprisingly effective".

On 7/9/2017 at 2:05 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Ive only used DME a few times but ive had success with added it slowly to cold water and then cranking up the heat. That and booster too. Otherwise the steam can cause the dme to get all clumpy on the bag. As with most things in life its just better to take your time and do it right the first time

I've used DME quite a bit, and this is how I always do it as well. Dissolve in cold water, then crank it up as you said. 

On 8/17/2017 at 4:25 PM, Shrike said:

The fourth is via blender (starts at 2:20), which in the description of the video was described as "surprisingly effective".

Haa! Love this video and thanx for posting it Shrike. Makes me feel better about my technique. I would have liked to seen the hand mixing section in REAL time. Just to see how long it really takes.

Rokitman, any updates?  Should be about ready to taste by now?  Inquiring minds want to know.  I still haven't brewed mine yet, as I have been way busy the last 2 months.  At this rate, mine won't be ready until December something.  But hopefully this week I can get it brewed and the fermentation started.

Yeah Rokitman. Did you get to try a zombiefest yet?? I have some zombies bottle conditioning in my closet too. I was gunna let them go into deep October to finish, but someone posted earlier in this thread, like back in July, to drink these zombies young. 

I had some clumping too with the DME. It was the second time I used it and I was ready for the steam and clumping  this time. Keep us  posted on that recipie and how it turns out. 

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the long delay. I have a carpentry side business and this year my clients are keeping me CRAZY busy! 

Yes, the Zombie Fest was ready and it was very well accepted. I took the entire batch to our yearly family picnic and shared it with my two brothers and several friends. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and not a single bottle survived the night. My brother remarked he thought it was my best brew yet.  I only let it finish in the fridge for a couple extra weeks after carbonating. To say they were well carbonated is an understatement. It's nearly impossible to pour into a mug without tons of foam, but we managed. It had a nice dark, caramel color and a rich, bold flavor. No bitterness or aftertaste at all and a nice alcohol bite. It had a heavier flavor than I'm used to. Not the kind of beer I could drink all day. But I'm used to cheap Lite beer...so. Nonetheless, it went down very smooth has a very nice kick to it.

I highly recommend this brew and will definitely brew this again in the future.

- Dean -